• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Night Vision Scopes/Optics

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Night Vision Scopes/Optics? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

My question is, Why are they so damn pricey. I mean, can I show up to buy one in a Ferrari or would I be ok showing up in a little Beemer?

Not all of them are very expensive.

I guess relatively speaking.

Sure, you can buy some that are a couple thousand bucks, but then again, you can get them for about $400 bucks too.

Personally, I'd really love to have a Pulsar N550 or N750 digital night vision scope (which are the shizzle), but the only NV weapon scope I have is a Yukon NVRS, which works extremely well for what I use it for and is a really decent scope for the $$$

yukonnv003_zpse03959c5.jpg

@John A. How is the clarity on that one? Do you use an additional illuminator light?

Funny I was just looking at that exact scope and would appreciate some feedback from someone I trust.

Sorry for the late reply.

It's decent for the price. It's not gen 3 quality or anything, but the contrast is pretty decent and I think it's worth the ~$400 pricetag. It is better than my uncles old handheld ATN in both range and clarity and it works really good and has a good battery life too.

I do have a streamlight with an IR lens on it that I can use, but the only time you would need it would be ~75 yards or more. If you try to use the streamlight up close (under 50 yards), the external IR tries to wash out the picture from the glare/reflection if you're in thick brush. It's not as much of an issue at any distance with the built in IR and it doesn't seem to affect it as much, though is still somewhat present if you're in thick brush with lots of little leaves and things to reflect the light.

If I were to have an honest to goodness IR light (not a weapon light with a flip up IR lens), it may would be more suitable, but for all intents and purposes, the built in IR does pretty good out to the distances feel comfortable using the NV scope at.

Is is fairly usable in the daylight?

Does it magnify at all, I borrowed a friends night vision monocular one night, and found that it actually made everything appear farther away. turned out there was enough moonlight that night i could see better through a standard 9X scope than with the NV

@MikeD I wouldn't use it in the day. It's not a day/night scope. It has actual tubes that may burn out.

It does have a small hole in the endcap, however, one wrong move and the endcap comes open inadvertently, and the tube will likely be ruined. I have installed a Butler Creek flip cap just because I thought the cover that came on it was too flimsy to begin with.

I have also heard that if you zero in the day, the zero at night may not be on.

While I don't know that to be true, I have heard that claim, but I use it at night, and therefore it was zero'd at night and is right where I want it to be.

@dieselmudder the one I have is a 1.5x scope which is slightly magnified, but is not very noticeable at all.

@MikeD I wanted to add that I do like the Yukon NV scope, but I am considering buying an ATN X Sight in 3-12x digital NV scope, mainly for the ability to use in the day or night as you mentioned. The closest comparable digital NV scope that I know of is the Pulsar N550 models though they're around $1300 or more.

They are more like an IR capable video camera (from a lack of better description) and I don't think they have tubes like actual NV scopes do.

Here is the one I am considering upgrading to. http://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-3-12x-x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope.html

If I do make the decision to get the ATN, I would consider selling this one to you for $375 shipped/insured if you're interested in picking one up. And that includes the Butler Creek flip front cover that I have on the scope which costed $19 by itself, the box, and everything that came with it.

@John A. Definitely. Just let me know. I'm going to be selling another xbow here shortly to fund it.

I have officially decided that I AM going to buy one of the ATN x sight 3-12 versions.

I preordered 1 today. They said after speaking with ATN recently, they expected this version to be released in 45-60 days or so.

While that means I'll just have to be patient and wait, I've gotten somewhat accustomed to that waiting on the NFA branch, so 2 months will seem like a short nap.

I want to know if there is a versatile night vision scope out yet that is modular. What I mean is, I want to attach a permanent low profile mount to about 3 or 4 of my long guns, and have a good quality night scope that can quickly detach and reattach to one of my other long guns...
I know the zero would not be the same moving from gun to gun, as each load would have different ballistic performance. But if there is a quick release, what would I be looking for?

The ones I have used have a large knurled nut, which is not difficult to remove.

If you torque the crap out of the nut (not necessary) then I can understand the need for a tool to remove. But as I said, finger tight and they'll come off in a jiffy.

On second thought I don't that it's possible. It would almost have to be a continuous optics platform or it would require something like the M40A5 with the rail at the end of the forend that goes over the barrel.

I'm not sure I'm seeing a way to mount it on a bolt action otherwise.

After reading some of the reviews at amazon, it's possible to use the bushnell equinox behind some optics.

Two that were specifically mentioned in the reviews were eotech and a vortex 1-6x scope.

That's pretty cool. I still have to overcome the issues specific to the bolt action.

I have some ideas but I have to weigh out the cost to do it vs just getting something like the ATN. I like my scope. It's zero'd and I like the adjustable power and really, I need the magnification. But to be able to something like bushnell I think I'm looking at adding an EFR (embedded front rail *i think that's right?*) like the Badger Ordinance or similar. That means modifying the cheap crap-tastic stock. Though it shoots sub MOA so it's not that bad, but I don't know if there's enough material to do an EFR. So do I need another stock? Boyd's? Because McMillan is out of the question. And really, it's a $400 rifle.

I'd really like the pulsar f155. That would solve my problems. For the low low price of $1000.

Back