• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old Savage 6A back in business

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I think I've mentioned before that I have an old Savage 6A (made between 1939 and 1941), that my wife inherited from her father. Up until a few weeks ago it was a good shooter that I used quite a lot.

Savage6a_1.jpg

Well about 3 weeks ago, while plinking out back it ejected one of the ejectors and the follower along with a spent case into the grass somewhere to my right. Not good. :( :eek: :x

Spent an hour or so crawling around on hands and knees trying to find these tiny little pieces of metal without success, so took it to Ed's shop hoping he could fix it up. He didn't hold out much hope since old parts for this gun are really rare.

Anyway to make a long story short, dug out my big bar magnet on Xmas Eve and dragged it around where I'd been shooting for a couple hours and Santa came thru! Found the extractor and follower! Whoopee!! :D

Took them out to Ed this past Thursday and he put 'em back in along with a new spring, and a little detail work on the bolt and left side extractor while I waited.

The gun shoots like brand new now. :mrgreen:

Btw, Ed Sanders is an old time gunsmith much like the old guy in the movie Shooter. His shop is a real museum piece way out in the woods. If any of y'all visit this area you ought to stop by. Worth a little side trip.

edsanders.jpg

Glad you got the gun fixed.

I searched the whole world wide web for close to 10 years to find a part to get one of my guns going again.

It too had a lot of sentimental strings attached is why I never gave up hope. But after that long, I was beginning to wonder.

John A. said:
Glad you got the gun fixed.

I searched the whole world wide web for close to 10 years to find a part to get one of my guns going again.

It too had a lot of sentimental strings attached is why I never gave up hope. But after that long, I was beginning to wonder.

Yep, sentiment sometimes overcomes mercenary value. :) Ed did seem impressed that everything was original and in such good shape. :)

Back