• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patriot Vortex Walnut in .308 Security Screws

gbyoung2

Copper BB
Anyone have an idea what size bit fits the snake eye security screws on each side of the stock? Doesn't appear to be a standard size.

Bought new, my rifle has had no consistent groupings with nothing but flyers all over the place. I want to start a bedding in process to see if I can tame this thing down. Right now, all its good for is taking up space in my safe.

IMG_1213r.jpg

That is sort of an odd size that might only be available in a "kit". Maybe look at zamazom, debay or harbor fright? Maybe a pair of tweezers in the hole, then an adjustable closed over the tweezers and spin it out that way? Either way, you should have the proper tool to re-tighten it. They usually use this type of fastener when they don't want you removing it for any reason.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

I've been around for awhile as a long time Mossberg Owners Group member. Just haven't had much to say.

It is an odd size, and without any definitive answer as to an actual bit size from Mossberg Customer Support, I've been unable to determine what size to order. They claim the crossbolt, as they call it, should never be removed, else it would void the warranty, so you nailed that. I've had this rifle since 2016, so the warranty is long gone. I want to try and improve on its deplorable accuracy by bedding in the action. That crossbolt piece needs to be moved out of the way to do a good job. I should have acted on this from the git go, but life got in the way, and I didn't. Thought it was a Vortex scope issue but turned out to not be the case.

I found a couple of bits overseas that are close, so we'll see. If all else fails, I have the machine tools I need to make a tool to work. FWIW - It the past I found that a pair of 90 deg. snap-ring pliers will usually handle the task if a lot of torque isn't needed.

Appreciate the note. We'll see what happens as we move on.

I thought about for a little bit and maybe a pair of snap-ring pliers?

View attachment 29080
LOL. I've used a pair of those in the past on some small scope screws. May use them again once I kinda get a feel for how much torque needs to be put on these things. Can't be too much cause it looks like this crossbolt thing just provides support on the "U" of the stock where it straddles the front of the chamber area. Too tight, and you could potentially crack the (synthetic) stock. Too loose, and what's the point.

I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill looking for these bits, but I just like to have the right tools for the job. Do appreciate your suggestion tho'.

A DIY trick - find two small drill bits that fit the screw holes and then measure the distance between the holes.

Using one of the drill bits drill two holes in a short link of flat metal stock (say 6 inches) and use this as a lever to remove the screw.

Regards

A DIY trick - find two small drill bits that fit the screw holes and then measure the distance between the holes.
I made this tensioner tool because I needed it and didn't have it. Not shown are the drill bits welded on the other side. I've since bought the kit which included a lot of other special timing tools.

tenstool.jpg belttensioner.jpg

FWIW - resolved the snake-eye security bit issue. A TH8 bit from the UK was really close and think I may have mentioned that earlier. Slight mod to widen the distance between them, which narrowed the pins slightly, then rounded them off; made for a perfect fit.

i-xwtnN36-L.jpg

i-V9MwgcF-L.jpg

i-XF4HLXQ-L.jpg

I pulled the barrel from the stock and found that the screw behind the magazine was doing nothing to tie the barrel securely to the stock - especially when being hammered with .308 rounds. The front "action screw" was the only one doing all the work. If you tried to tighten the rear screw, it protruded up into the bolt area and wouldn't allow the bolt to be inserted if you had it out. If it was already in place, it bound it up so it wouldn't move.

The barrel lug looked like it had a half-a$$'d attempt at the factory to lock it in place with some kind of bonding agent, but with the way rounds were flying all over hell and creation it obviously wasn't doing much.

We're going to clean all of that "stuff" outta there, shorten the rear screw by a few threads so it can get full purchase without causing any binding, then re-bed the barrel in like it should be.

Work in progress...........

Really disappointing, and a pi$$-poor example of just how far Mossberg's QC practices have gone in the gutter. Never again.

Back