• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pictures of my Dad in Vietnam.

Scott, cherish those pictures and memories. Please be sure to speak of them often with your children and their children and place the photo in a prominent place in your home where it can be seen.

On June 1, 1965, Company A attached to Regimental Landing Team-7 and embarked ship headed for South Vietnam. In August 1965, the remainder of the battalion was ordered to depart for service in Vietnam, arriving in Da Nang on August 24, 1965. From Da Nang, the battalion supported the III Marine Amphibious Force (MAF) throughout the I Corps Tactical Zone. During the following year the battalion constructed an M-4 aluminum pontoon bridge spanning 1,478 feet over the Da Nang River, the longest ever built.

Many of the battalion's missions in 1967 included the construction of non-standard bridges, M-4 aluminum pontoon bridges, and pile bent bridges as well as the maintenance and upgrading of over 120 km of roads. In 1968, Company A constructed a coffer damwhile Company D participated in Operation Mameluke Thrust. Service Company provided over 33 million gallons of fresh water to the Marines of III MAF.

Throughout 1969 and 1970 the battalion continued upgrading and maintaining roads, mine sweeping and providing general engineer support until it returned to MCB Camp Pendleton in September 1970. During April 1971, the battalion was reassigned to the 1st Marine Division and in June Company A detached from the battalion and was relocated to Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California.

Vietnam seems like 100 years ago . . .

Dad went in Dec 1964. He was a forward combat air controller, in Dong Ha. He was no photographer.

I think all the pics he sent us amounted to maybe 6 polaroids, taken by someone else with a camera, that disintegrated or disappeared years ago.

He sent a pic of his M-16 all posed for show, a pic of Sam the monkey, the camp mascot, and Mooch, the local guy who did odd chores and dumped their garbage, in exchange for American cigarettes and cookies.

I never saw a pic of the base or the gear. Dad said they had a bunker, a Quonset hut, and lots of sandbags to protect the Radar gear.

While he was sending B52's on a vector to Hanoi, NVA mortar crews were sneaking into the DMZ to shred their camp at night. Everyone slept in the bunker, because the tents got shredded.

Dad made it home without a scratch, but later died from all the x-rays and exposure to defoliants. Also, all those menthol cigarettes and Air Force coffee.

I just have a few bits left from dad‘s service and I really don’t have many photographs of him because no one in our family was a photographer.

I can’t tell you what the different ribbons are. I only recognize the ones from National Defense, Vietnam, and World War II, Because of the medals.
66BE8B11-6064-44C7-802A-EF2731786AFD.jpeg
Dad retired over 50 years ago & these haven’t seen a spot of polish since.

9E26144C-8411-4F33-9ABC-0FA8380E9D35.jpeg

I see the good conduct medal has 3 knots on the ribbon. I’m not sure what they stand for but he was in the Navy, Army Air Corps, and the Air Force.

The Vietnam ribbon has two stars. Maybe has to do with serving overseas and in a forward combat zone.

I don’t know about the blue ribbon with the three oak leaves, or any of the others.

Right before he retired in ‘74 he got a commendation for “superior computer programming.”

And then they froze all the promotions and kicked everybody out, because the war was over.

Good thing for me, because in ‘73 I could’ve been drafted. I turned 18 and I had drawn a mid-number.

Anyhow Dad got a nice job with the county as a programmer analyst. I got calls and letters from recruiters but I wasn’t interested.

My mom was in the family services for years. Listening to all the service wives complain about the hardships over the years soured me on the whole idea of a military career.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Back