• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pinned forend on a 500??

PackFan12

Copper BB
Just received my mossberg 500 field model (#56420). To my extreme displeasure the forend appears to be pinned and I don’t see any action slide tube or castle nut at all. I specifically chose the 500 over the Maverick 88 because I wanted the tang safety and slide tube to change forends as I see fit. The model on the website does not have a pinned forend. Is this typical? Am I wrong to assume I ordered the action slide tube assembly when I ordered a 500?? It feels cheap and has tons of slop to make matters worse.. thanks for your advice!

I don’t know anything about specific models, but I’ve seen others on the site concerned about perceived sloppiness. By pinned forend, you are referring to the action bars being pinned directly to the wood forend, as opposed to being pinned to the more common slide tube and then shrouded by the wood forend? I looked at the pics of the 500 field on the Mossberg site but couldn’t see any mention or indication that there was or wasn’t a slide tube. I’m sure others will know first hand, I have a feeling that simply buying a slide tube/ action bar assembly is gonna cost you that fluted/ fullered forend and stick you with a more common corncob shaped piece. Good luck with your quest.

PackFan, would be helpful if you could put up a couple of pictures so we could be sure of the configuration.

If pinned there are aftermarket kits to change it over. If I remember right Hogue makes one.

Lots of folks here willing to help.

Regards

I've never seen a factory 500 with a pinned forend. They do a lot of weird stuff sometimes, but that would be a new one for me.

A few years ago one of the sporting goods store chains, Big 5, was selling some 500's with pinned forends and dual barrels. I seem to remember they had both an 18.5 and 28 inch barrels. They apparently bought a large special order configeration from Mossberg. Not sure what the OP has but pictures would help.

Regards

Just received my mossberg 500 field model (#56420). To my extreme displeasure the forend appears to be pinned and I don’t see any action slide tube or castle nut at all. I specifically chose the 500 over the Maverick 88 because I wanted the tang safety and slide tube to change forends as I see fit. The model on the website does not have a pinned forend. Is this typical? Am I wrong to assume I ordered the action slide tube assembly when I ordered a 500?? It feels cheap and has tons of slop to make matters worse.. thanks for your advice!
Mossberg changes things around as they want.
I found this old post about forends hope it helps explain things.
https://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-size-forend-tube-do-i-need.13033/

old mossy, good memory.

The Hogue upgrade I referred to earlier is shown in this old diagram I've attached below. If I remember right they offered both length kits to replace the pinned action bar plus the extended adapter nut shown in the diagram. Just a side note the pinned action bars came in two different configurations. Some with a single arm and others with dual ones.

Regards

16006042076_16376e5098_o.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I reached out to mossberg and they confirmed that my model comes with the pinned forearm and not the action slide tube. I pointed out that the version pictured on their website does not have a pinned forearm nor does the item description mention it but they refused to help. Lesson learned I guess

I don't blame you for being pissed.

If I wanted a mossberg branded maverick, I would've paid half of the price to buy one.

Have no idea who you purchased it from but given it's a recent purchase wonder if you can return it for your money back or trade it on a different model.

If not, like I indicated above you can buy and action tube and an overmold grip for an easy change out. If whoever you purchased it from won't take it back see if they will give you an action tube.

Good luck and Regards

Have no idea who you purchased it from but given it's a recent purchase wonder if you can return it for your money back or trade it on a different model.

If not, like I indicated above you can buy and action tube and an overmold grip for an easy change out. If whoever you purchased it from won't take it back see if they will give you an action tube.

Good luck and Regards
Good idea but it was cabelas unfortunately. From what I read they don’t do returns on firearms. In the end it will probably set me back an extra $120 or so from what I would have paid for another model. I’ve definitely made worse financial decisions in my life

I'd recommend you discuss the issue with the Cabelas store manager to see if there are any options. Sometimes they have the leeway to modify store counter policy. Doesn't hurt to try.

Secondly, given that it's still new how about selling it outright and replacing it with a different model.

Or even trading it to an individual for a totally different firearm.

If you really like the model, less the forend, take a look at the cost of converting it. I did a conversion for a friend a few years ago and the labor and time involved was nothing. But I'm not sure the parts cost these days. Beyond Brownells or Midway you can find lots of parts on Ebay. Just make sure of the length.

Regards

The Hogue stock is a great upgrade on a Mossy 500. If you can put the parts together to make it happen you’ll be pleased!

Wait - you bought it from Cabelas because you thought the 500 had the action tube but you didn't inspect it before taking it home? I guess its hard to see on the gun until you take it apart though -

You'll need the long action tube and nut from Mossberg, or the short action tube and Hogue adapter nut (works the same either way just get whichever is more cost effective)

Hogue stock and forend fit great on the platform if you are sticking with polymer

I ended up getting the 7 3/4 tube and hogue furniture. I really like it, especially the grip angle on the hogue stock. Then a few days later I saw a good deal on a new/take-off 6 3/4 action tube with wood furniture so I have that now too haha. I have the hogue stuff on the Maverick 88 while I decide which I like better and the wood on the 500. I might just keep both although I feel weird pimping out a Maverick 88 but why not I guess.

While not as easy to customize as a car or a motorcycle, there’s always something that can turn your weapons into a custom mode within the legal boundaries. Good for you. I’ve got a hybrid Hogue/ Shockwave Tech. Birdshead grip and an aluminum forend on mine, so again, good on you.

I ended up getting the 7 3/4 tube and hogue furniture. I really like it, especially the grip angle on the hogue stock. Then a few days later I saw a good deal on a new/take-off 6 3/4 action tube with wood furniture so I have that now too haha. I have the hogue stuff on the Maverick 88 while I decide which I like better and the wood on the 500. I might just keep both although I feel weird pimping out a Maverick 88 but why not I guess.
If you want my opinion - I think your 500 is the matte blued finish and you have a field barrel? The Maverick 88 might be regular blued/satin finish or matte? If both are matte no worries, but if you have a blued finish I would put the wood on that gun (Mav88?) and leave the Hogue on your 500

The Hogue furniture is lighter with your longer barrel, but the wood may balance the longer barreled weapon better

No reason not to pimp out a Mav88, they are basically 95% a M500 just with a different safety

Back