• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol brace rule now active

I don't mind being the first to point this out. It's kind of like the elephant in the room that no one knows about. I am also adding it here, just in case it mysteriously gets disappeared.

Emphasis in bold mine. Also notice the date on top and bottom. This has been recently changed added or updated in some way. Sorry, I don't have the original to compare.

Justice News

Department of Justice

Office of Public Affairs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, June 7, 2021

Justice Department Issues Proposed Rule and Model Legislation to Reduce Gun Violence

New Steps Would Enhance Enforcement of the National Firearms Act and Aid States in Drafting “Extreme Risk Protection Order” Laws

Today, the Department of Justice announced two new steps to help address the continuing epidemic of gun violence affecting communities across the country. First, the department issued a notice of proposed rulemaking that makes clear that when individuals use accessories to convert pistols into short-barreled rifles, they must comply with the heightened regulations on those dangerous and easily concealable weapons. Second, the department published model legislation to help states craft their own “extreme risk protection order” laws, sometimes called “red flag” laws. By sending the proposed rule to the Federal Register and publishing the model legislation today, the department has met the deadlines that the Attorney General announced alongside President Biden in April.
“The Justice Department is determined to take concrete steps to reduce the tragic toll of gun violence in our communities,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. “Today we continue to deliver on our promise to help save lives while protecting the rights of law-abiding Americans. We welcome the opportunity to work with communities in the weeks and months ahead in our shared commitment to end gun violence.”
The department issued a notice of proposed rulemaking that would make clear that the statutory restrictions on short-barreled rifles apply to pistols that are equipped with certain stabilizing braces and intended to be fired from the shoulder. The National Firearms Act imposes heightened regulations on short-barreled rifles because they are easily concealable, can cause great damage, and are more likely to be used to commit crimes. But companies now sell accessories that make it easy for people to convert pistols into these more dangerous weapons without going through the statute’s background check and registration requirements. These requirements are important public safety measures because they regulate the transfer of these dangerous weapons and help ensure they do not end up in the wrong hands. The proposed rule would clarify when these attached accessories convert pistols into weapons covered by these heightened regulations.
Once the proposed rule is published in the Federal Register, the public will have 90 days to submit comments. To view the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, please see here.
The department also published model legislation and detailed commentary that will make it easier for states to craft “extreme risk protection orders” authorizing courts to temporarily bar people in crisis from accessing firearms. By allowing family members or law enforcement to intervene and to petition for these orders before warning signs turn into tragedy, “extreme risk protection orders” can save lives. They are also an evidence-based approach to the problem. The model legislation, developed after consultation with a broad range of stakeholders, provides a framework that will help more states enact these sensible laws.
To read the model legislation, please see here.
To learn more about the rulemaking process, please see here.

Component(s):
Office of Legal Policy
Office of the Attorney General
Press Release Number:
21-526

Updated January 10, 2022

So if I get this correct, if you own one and you send in the money and the registration papers, to get it legal, under the new rules, and then they deny you. Or it just lapses because the government can’t finish your paperwork in time to meet their own deadline, You are automatically a felon, and you don’t get your money back, and they can come and take your gun without question?

All they need is a f****g little mustache now!

Maybe only the really really stupid people will send in the papers and the $200 (or whatever they’re charging.)

And I guess I don’t have to worry about being that stupid, since I never bought one in the first place.

Pretty much. Yeah, they can seize the weapon at that point, and also criminally charge you with possession, which is a big deal.

About a year ago, the atf got a wild hair regarding solvent traps. Which is a tube and a bunch of solid parts that fit inside of it. Once machined and completed, they will make a silencer. Which is the same concept as a partially completed gun. It still takes machinework to make.

People were registering them and doing everything legal and paying their taxes, until atf says, no, you shouldn't be allowed to buy these and make them yourself.

So, they were even denying people who had paid the taxes and purged their computer system of people waiting on approvals and wouldn't allow registration of them.

Prosecuted some folks making them accusing them of manufacturing and selling unlicensed prohibited parts (and convicted of them in court).

Sent agents to peoples houses who were on the companies shipping list, etc. Sent out letters to all of them. Treated them like criminals.

They don't even need the little hitler moustache anymore.

I don't think the ATF screwed up, I think they knew exactly what they were doing, knew this would create a registry and knew it would advance their goal of disarming people.

People keep saying the gov doesn't think these things through but I beg to differ.

1674351122706.png

Military Arms
@MAC_Arms

BREAKING: ATF's new brace rule will make ALL imported pistols like Draco's, B&T APC's, Zastava's, Arsenal's, Century MP5 clones, etc. ILLEGAL and MUST be destroyed. FRAC lawyers have reviewed this. This means MILLIONS of guns by ATF decree must be surrendered or you face prison.

1674351176033.png

1674351223951.png

Idk what the whole fuss is about with close range shotguns anyway. You can easily take and arm off (body armor or not) with an axe. Personally up close melee is more gruesome than anything most firearms can do. Mace to the face etc.

Just modify you weapons how you want after the collapse because it is coming. Until then play ball, If you are one the unfortunate not to own much or anything lay low there will be plenty laying around after awhile. Most of us are going to starve to death anyway.

Personally up close melee is more gruesome than anything most firearms can do.
You've maced someone in the face, have you? ;) Lopping off an arm just takes too much effort (and time). :D There IS something to be said about yanking someone's ear off and showing to them as a deterrent. :)

My rules with engagement are to create space between the adversary and me. Use a hand weapon to create space in order to get to the handgun to create more space in order to get to the shotgun to create more space in order to get to the rifle and so on if you happen to have artillery/tanks/F15s handy. ;) Don't get me wrong, if someone were to physically attack me in my shop, the number of hand weapons hiding in plain sight are numerous: hammers, wrenches, chunks of sharp metal, utility knifes, etc. Why use an axe when I can use a bandsaw? :D

Most of us are going to starve to death anyway.
This is correct, especially in the big cities. In the event of EMPs from Chirussia, power grids will go down for weeks, if not months or years. Supermarkets keep like a 3-day supply of food replenished by "just-in-time" deliveries which will cease. Their food will be looted in 3 hours. Roving bands of thugs will spread out from the city looking for easy pickings. You can up-close melee them if you want but I would prefer to reach out and touch them from afar. ;) People fantasize about the apocalypse and/or boogaloo but I hope I never have to participate... :(

It appears the atf has now submitted the rule to the national register, though tomorrow is the official day due to them having to upload photographs or something along those lines.

For a bunch of grins and giggles, I checked the atf website, which is where you're supposed to register the guns, and unsurprisingly, their website is down now.

Can't register those evil things if you can't keep the website going can you?

eForms Outage​

The ATF eForms system is unavailable at the present time. We anticipate this outage will be short lived and the system will be available again soon. Please try again at a later time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

OK, I was able to read the new rule last night. It is different from what was submitted earlier. It appears they've been making as many changes as possible to screw with as many people as they can.

The biggest most blatent thing that I saw, the agency/government does not see all firearms as protected under the 2A. According to them, they can force you to register your pistols as sbr's because they don't feel that nfa items are protected under the 2A, which I don't only see as flawed, but fatally flawed.

I will also note that while they said they were not using form 4999 worksheet anymore, they referenced it about a gazillion times while obfuscating.

Quote:
Heller thus made clear that machineguns and short-barreled shotguns are “weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes,” and thus fall outside the scope of the Second Amendment as historically understood. Id. at 625; see also id. at 627 (accepting that M-16 rifles are dangerous and unusual weapons that may be banned).

Now with them wanting to add millions or tens of millions of items to the nfa roster, that argument that they are not in common use, flies out the window.

To further the discussion, they can't blame it on increasing crime either. Here are numbers from pages 60,61.

Since 2014, the FTCB reports that there have been approximately 104 Federal criminal classifications where firearms equipped with a “stabilizing brace” have been received by FATD for classification as a part of criminal investigations.

Further, since 2015, ATF reports that approximately 63 firearms with “stabilizing braces” have been traced in criminal investigations. ATF has approximately 105 firearms cases or investigations involving “stabilizing brace” devices.

So far, two lawsuits have been submitted. Possibly more, but these are the two that I'm aware of at this time.

My opinion is that the ATF is going to “inform” people just enough to get them to step into a trap. I fully expect them to announce every day that the Russians have hacked the ATF database.

I’m not even sure they’d even tell us if that happened. We’d probably find out from the Russians.

Though different in the details...it's all semantics. Welcome to the hell your northern neighbors have been fighting for decades. If they can't outright criminalize you they'll harass you by constantly changing the goalposts hoping to catch you on a technicality and make you a paperwork criminal.

It's disgusting.

My guess is it's just them playing a long game for a little extra insurance against future failed gun control policies. Attrition. Frustrate gun owners to the point they throw their hands up and stop trying to navigate the system. They are counting on some that will sell or otherwise dispose of NFA firearms/items they can't be sure of the legality of. They know others won't but already know where those registered firearms reside.

I should add, these types of attacks on legal firearms and their owners should prove to anyone with even half a brain that this is NOT about public safety. This is an ideological campaign. Compared to all the other firearms in circulation, what effect will the further restricting of NFA firearms have on gun crime statistics in the US??? My prediction would be less than .01%. Essentially zero. Because people who register for their NFA tax stamps don't typically use those firearms to commit crimes or commit crimes of any kind what-so-ever.

Aaaaaaand, I'm stepping off my soapbox.....

Last edited:
...This is an ideological campaign. Compared to all the other firearms in circulation, what effect will the further restricting of NFA firearms have on gun crime statistics in the US??? My prediction would be less than .01%. Essentially zero. Because people who register for their NFA tax stamps don't typically use those firearms to commit crimes or commit crimes of any kind what-so-ever.

THIS ^^^^!!!! It is VERY unlikely someone is going to use a $10,000 full-auto AR to rob a liquor store of $1000. Or to do a driveby shooting. But one of these days, someone WILL commit such a crime with such a gun (probably stolen) and there will be a call for ALL of them to be confiscated. :(

Back