• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

POLL = Redesigned Mossberg in the 21st Century

Is today's Mossberg lineup overall better, or worse, than ten years ago?

• Yes, more available options mean more potential sales and revenue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the weirdness is at best a passing fad and is counter to respectability

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Maybe, there is room for new and old thinking to both co-exist

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I would rather see Quality Control and Customer Service be at the forefront

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I'm sensing a growing trend toward consumer confusion and some criticism over many of the recent products being offered in the Mossberg catalog of firearms.

Some traditional rifle and shotgun folks are taken aback when they see "Tactical this, and breacher that, and muzzle brakes and picatinny rails, and AR-15 buttstock shotguns" because these features have been largely unproven in the real world.

Yet some gun buyers are saying "Hell, Yeah MOSSBERG!" that is some really cool stuff on which to spend our money!

Let's face it. Remington has been adding product lines which are made in Turkey and Russia in order to expand their lineup and keep retail pricing down. Winchester has greatly scaled back their long gun catalog. Ruger still makes their guns in the USA and adds a Scout Rifle and piston AR-15 and some new pistols like the LCP, LCR, SR9, Charger, SR1911 and others but are basically remaining a conventional gun manufacturer.

But as I am seeing it, NOBODY else is really pulling out the stops when it comes to shock value in their catalog like Mossberg has done. So VOTE your thoughts.

I don’t care what they want to try to sell to whom honestly, if I don’t like what they offer I will just move on .Fortunately for Mossberg they have something for everyone. I just think their priorities are screwed up. Need to get all the QC and CS figured out first then sell whatever you want , build a good reputation based on quality, customer service and price point and most the time people won’t care what you build as long as it works well and when it doesn’t it gets fixed right the first time.

I'm a firm believer in Quality before Quantity!
I like that Mossberg has an extensive selection to choose from, but it can be a bit overwhelming to choose from. I found 8 different models I liked when selecting my shotgun, but every model but 2 were back ordered, so it made my decision a lot easier.
Why not make "base" upgradeable guns....pick your base gun, then pick all the options & add-ons you want. Maybe even have "Premier Mossberg Dealer" title for a make-your-own gun shopping experience without extra markup.
" I should be a freekin' salesman!"
Bottom line: give the customer exactly what they want, don't make a bunch of cookie-cutter guns and have them pick!
Sorry, had to vent that.
BTW, I love my Mossberg Shotgun!

I pick Customer Service. If you make it, back it up. Don't have a bunch of minimum wage flunkies answering your phones. I also like the idea of offerin an upgradable base model. Let the customer choose what they want or don't want. Cookie cutters are for making cookies...not firearms.

They can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time.

Personally, I'm not into all this tactical crap. I'm a hunter, the primary purpose of my weapons is hunting. Next comes sport shooting. Home defense is an implied function, however, I don't add accessories based on that.

Now, that being said, I love the two Mossberg's that I've purchased over the last year and a half. My dad has had two others before me, and there are still a few that I'm interested in purchasing: Another 4x4 chambered in 25-06 rem, an MVP rifle in .223 rem, more barrels for my 535, and also a reserve series break action shot gun or two.

They've got some good concepts out there, the MVP being the one I like most. Yes, they should absolutely stand behind all their products, this is implied in every company. If a company can't do that, then I see no reason to endorse them. I've never had a problem with Mossberg's Quality Control and I hope not to. If I do, they better would fix whatever's broke ASAP.

I'm a firm believer in QC and CS...no amount of gimmicks is gonna sell anything without the craftsmanship and service to back up the line...

Mossberg...I hope you out there listening and taking notes...!!

SHOOTER13 said:
I'm a firm believer in QC and CS...no amount of gimmicks is gonna sell anything without the craftsmanship and service to back up the line...

Mossberg...I hope you out there listening and taking notes...!!

Ditto.

When it comes to guns I'm very utilitarian, They serve a purpose and I don't like extra's or features that I'm not going to use or serve no practical (what I consider practical, YMMV) purpose. I don't abuse them but I don't baby them; no safe queens in my collection. Given that, I have little interest in a lot of the tacticool stuff offerred today and think it's a passing fad. People will buy it to have something cool or something that draws attention on the range but I think stuff like that is kind of a passing fad.

Offering a quality, relible andaffordable product is what draws me in. In the event I have issues I'm much more likely to return to and recommend a company that resolves them quickly and efficiently.

I think Mossberg will be served better in the long run by correcting the QC issues they have experienced and resolving the CS issues that are present. Once that is done, then apply resources in other areas. Having a few tacticool carbines in the line-up is not going to help them long term if people who bought plain jane 930's and 500's all jump ship because they can't get what should be a simple issue resolved in a reasonable amount of time. Not to mention all the potential customers that were put off by hearing of the issues people are having.

I pretty much fall in line with the belief it doesnt matter what they sell if they cant fix known re-occuring issues and provide better service in the process, backing up the product they sell.

I dont like the gimmicky stuff, and I feel fortunate to have procured my firearms when I did. I'd be kinda ticked to find the pinned forend for example. I dont think they arent solid enough to do the job... just one of those things that looks like cutting corners on its face.

They offer something, and then offer something to one up the last thing, like shock jocks...

Instead of tryin to freak us out, fix what has to be fixed, learn what has to be learned, and go back to the basics somewhat (maybe not totally) so you can at least provide the stuff that rocks along side the weird stuff.

It bothers me its getting difficult to find a shotgun like a Persuader that doesnt have the railed tac forend or tac stock, or as you mentioned a muzzle brake that doesnt do anything... These are fine, producce them and sell them. But PLEASE dont do away with my action slide tube Persuaders with a bead sight and standard factory stock and standard factory police styled forend!!!!! Sell rockin awesome stuff too along side new fangled tac stuff!!!

So..when this poll ends, what are we going to do with all this information..... :twisted:

I suspect most businesses know these truths to be self evident. The trick is, how do you make it happen?

I believe WalMart knows it's customer service scrapes the bottom of the barrel, but they also know we'll keep on coming back. Maybe we need to be better consumers, if we really want better customer service? Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
The trick is, how do you make it happen?

It's goin to take a lot more than just a few people not buying their stuff.

I'm going to be entirely honest and blunt.

I own 1 (ONE) mossberg shotgun.

I have had less than stellar customer service interactions with them and do not feel at this time that I will buy anything else from them.

I've had some trouble with the gun, and I've had some trouble with their customer service reps concerning that, so for me personally, that's a lose, lose situation for mossberg.

I can handle a plastic part breaking (tab on the back of the trigger). I understand that.

You use something enough, and something's going to break.

But when I tell someone the specific part I need replaced, don't tell me to ship the whole gun.

I didn't even expect them to pay for the part, or the shipping either way.

But don't bend me over and take me for a ride about it either.

Sending the trigger pack to them in a $6 priority mailer is a far cry from paying $40 to ship a gun both ways for a $5 part.

Use a little common sense and courtesy.

John A. - your post is the unfortunate (for Mossberg) product of sub-par customer service interaction. Mossberg must improve in this area. It is Mossberg's major area of negative company perception.

I sent them an email last week. I mentioned everything here. All the topics were linked to it as well. I even told them my real name...so they would know I wasn't some troll. It is as follows....

Hello O.F. Mossberg and friends!
I'm one of the senior moderators over at http://www.MossbergOwners.com and would like to inquire if you have anyone that would like to be a liaison with our forum and your company. There are some QC issues we would like to bring to your attention. There is a topic dedicated to just that, if you have any desire to check it out and hopefully shed some light on the situation.
Mossberg Customer Service Thread...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2247

We also set up a poll to ask our fellow Mossberg Owners what they would like to see from O.F. Mossberg.

Redesigned Mossberg in the 21st Century
Is today's Mossberg lineup overall better, or worse, than ten years ago?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3541

Just so you know who I am, I am ripjack13 on the mossbergowners forum. I also own an 835.
We have questions....do you have answers?

Thanx for your time...

M*** H*****

Nice. I'm curious to see their response.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Apparently they're all too busy not improving their new website...

I see what you did there.

Back