• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

<POLL> Which BBQ Sauce of these two would you choose based on ingredients?

<POLL> Which BBQ Sauce of these two would you choose based on ingredients?

• Total voters

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
-One : HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, VINEGAR, TOMATO PASTE, HONEY, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH: LESS THAN 2% .....

-Two : TOMATO PUREE, BROWN SUGAR, SUGAR, VINEGAR, APPLE JUICE, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2%

No need to have High Fructose Corn Syrup or Modified Food Starch in a BBQ sauce.

#1 is SWEET BABY RAYS which is very popular around here and we have bought it for years. I enjoy it a lot, and there are bottles of it in our kitchen.

#2 is KINGSFORD APPLEWOOD BROWN SUGAR sauce

I now prefer Kingsford when charcoal grilling. I don't believe many people have seen it or tried it. But it is very good and doesn't char and burn as easily on the grill.

Last edited:
If I see a bottle, I'll pick it up and try it.

I also like Jack Daniels black label BBQ sauce sometimes too. When I'm in the mood for something different.

My wife and kids love the Sweet Baby Rays. It's too sweet for me, I prefer smokey. I have tried the Jack Daniels and liked it. I could do smokier still. The apple wood, and generally anything hardwood smoked, sounds good.

Here's a new one I haven't tried yet. Wife picked it up yesterday and said it was really good.

bubbys bbq 001.JPG

bubbys bbq 002.JPG

bubbys bbq 003.JPG

High fructose corn syrup is no worse (or better) than any other sugar. That wouldn't change my mind by itself. I like vinegar based BBQ sauces so I'd pick the one with more vinegar.

I really like Sweet Baby Rays, and as I mentioned earlier we have three bottles of it in our cupboards right now.

The sugars burn pretty quickly over a grill so it usually gets added very late or even after the food is pulled off, or even as a dipping sauce at the table. But it's quite good!

Since tomato and vinegar can stand higher and longer heat I usually use the Kingsford when slow cooking with sauce painted on early.

What If instead of injecting brine into a pork shoulder before roasting you injected diluted syrup?

Next time I was going to try injecting a diluted solution of A1 sauce into a tri-tip, and letting it marinate overnight. Now I'm thinking of using a sweeter sauce for injection.

I guess it depends on how much you want to mask the natural flavor of the meat.

Back