• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Post Your EDC Blade

I was by Smoky Mountain Knife Works today and stopped in to pick up a Boker Subcom. I got the last black plain edge they had. The guy at the Boker display said they couldn't hardly keep them in stock.

Also got an 11 inch fixed serrated with a paracord wrapped handle to keep in the backpack for a whopping $3.99.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Very nice!

So how d'you like the Subcom so far?
I really like it. It looks great. Love the blade and was surprised at how good it fits and feels in your hand. Weight wise I don't even know I'm carrying it. The only neg is when I clip it on my pocket the black opening assist (or whatever the hell you call it) on the clip side wants to get hung up on the edge of the pocket. The clip is really stiff so that'll probably go away when it weakens up a little.

I'm definitely going to get a serrated too.

Got my subcom in the mail today. I opened it when I got home. I couldn't be more happy. Great size and quality. I got the titanium one which looks really good too. It fits in my hand wonderfully and is razor sharp. Best $35 I spent.

Ha! I got my knife today as well...it's small....
Pic to come later.

jimmydeuce said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Very nice!

So how d'you like the Subcom so far?
I really like it. It looks great. Love the blade and was surprised at how good it fits and feels in your hand. Weight wise I don't even know I'm carrying it. The only neg is when I clip it on my pocket the black opening assist (or whatever the hell you call it) on the clip side wants to get hung up on the edge of the pocket. The clip is really stiff so that'll probably go away when it weakens up a little.

I'm definitely going to get a serrated too.

Bostoned said:
Got my subcom in the mail today. I opened it when I got home. I couldn't be more happy. Great size and quality. I got the titanium one which looks really good too. It fits in my hand wonderfully and is razor sharp. Best $35 I spent.

Outstanding Gentlemen!

Glad to hear you like them...

I ordered a Buck Alpha Hunter folder today, rosewood handle. Pretty pricy for a folding knife IMO but it's my idea of what a pocketknife should be, I'll post a pic when it comes in.

I have a question for you guys. We have pretty lenient knife laws in Texas, up to a 5.5" blade is allowed and I'm kinda torn between two, a short Ka-Bar and a Ka-bar Becker BK2. My intent is carry it in a leg strap, concealed, which would be legal here in Texas, at least that is how I understand our knife laws. I have a minor concern about each one though: the handle on the short Ka-Bar is a little small )but then I don't have the biggest hands) and the BK2 is pretty darn heavy. Which would you go with? I see the BK2 is pretty popular on this thread.

They both are good looking...but as usual....which one feels better in your hands? or have you not held them?

I haven't held either of them and your point is well taken, I no doubt should but I will probably buy one blind on the basis of recommendations. I figure if I don't like the first one I'll stick it in my pack and then buy the other one to carry. There are worse problems than having an extra knife. I'm leaning towards the BK2, that thing looks like a beast.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
ripjack13 said:
Ha! I got my knife today as well...it's small....
Pic to come later.

Nice rip!

Lookin forward to the pics...

Oh man....I forgot all about that. I'll have do that when I get home tonight...

from the website "Thin is in with this sub two ounce folder." 1.8 oz on my digital scale. Holds a scary edge!

AXIS® locking mechanism
Modified spear-point blade with ambidextrous dual thumb-stud opener
154CM stainless steel blade (58-61HRC)
Grivory® handle scales with 420J stainless steel liners and a reversible steel pocket clip

Time to touch up the clip!
7045081673_8f61d10ef6.jpg
7045081191_d423de6259.jpg

I have a few CRKTs that get more utility use - the Benchmade is on my person 90+% of waking hours. :D

OK..here's my ity bity edc, the "stuby folding razel"....for when I'm at work. My CRKT M16-14ZSF is in my truck...I switch em out when I get in and out at work...

YuJbAl.jpg

5SbNEl.jpg

H1k1Kl.jpg

TgFtfl.jpg

It is sturdy. It is very smooth opening as well. I'm not too fond of the stag horn handle so I'll change it out to wood. Fellow member Tutt sent me some lignum vitae, it's wicked hard wood. And its a shweet looking green color. When I get done I'll post pix....

Thanx guys!

Here it is, came in just yesterday. My new EDC blade, a Buck 277 Alpha Hunter. Unfortunately I don't have a camera that will do it justice but I took some on my phone so I could show it to you.

Image0134.jpg

This knife exceeds my expectations in almost every way. It's gorgeous; the rosewood handle make it so attractive it could easily be bought simply as a showpiece. Then when you pick it up and feel its presence, the way it nestles into the palm of your hand and the sheer weight of it, you know you're holding something truly special. The handle is molded to perfectly fit the contours of your hand.

Image0144.jpg

Image0142.jpg

Image0131.jpg

Image0132.jpg

Length closed: 4 7/8 inches.
Blade length from top of handle to tip of blade: 3 3/8 inches.
Overall length when open: 8 1/4 inches.

The blade deploys quickly and decisively with one hand; a slight push of the (ambidextrous) thumb peg and a flick of the wrist and it snaps securely into place. When open there is no play in the blade at all; it is firmly rooted to the handle. The liner lock makes it a more attractive knife in my opinion but isn't nearly as convenient as a lockback.

Image0135.jpg

It is shaving-sharp out of the box but, as to be expected, the edge isn't honed completely yet. The machine markings can clearly be seen on the edge of the blade. This edge will no doubt dull quickly if left to its own devices but I'm looking forward to putting a good, lasting edge on it myself.

I'm not as happy with the sheath.

Image0137.jpg

It is a very solid and well-constructed piece of leather, beyond doubt. I just don't like the design of it. For one thing I wish it was deeper. When closed there is a 1 3/4 inch open space between the top of the pocket and the flap at the top of the knife. I don't think that much of the knife needs to be exposed.

Image0139.jpg

I also don't care for the asymmetry of the flap. One side is flat and the other side is curved. I'd greatly prefer both sides be flat.

Image0130.jpg

I do like the dual nature of the belt loops that allow it to be worn on your belt either vertically or horizontally.

Image0140.jpg

But you don't buy it for the sheath and the knife itself is beyond reproach. I'm greatly looking forward to many years of getting to know my new friend.

Back