• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Project Snow Goose

Jmm14534

20g
Premier Member
FBFC3CBE-6E07-4DA4-B9DA-FAB892F80024.jpeg

I purchased my first Mossberg 930 off GB in May. I wasn’t really thinking I would win but strangely I was the only bidder and I won the auction for the min price. Score!!!!!!!!!

I’ve always loved the looked of this particular shot gun but never enough to actually by it new. I already own a Browning 12 gauge semi shotgun. The gun itself has some negative videos as does the 930 platform in general. I decided to make a project out of it. My goal is to keep the hauntingly beautiful look and play around with the internals to make it an extremely reliable, easy to use, easy to load go to sporting clays rifle for the long Winter season here in western New York.

I’m a Mossy pump shotgun nut (3 M500 and 1 M590 plus 1 Mossy O/U) so I need to build my knowledge on the 930. I’ve read lots of the great info found here on this forum. I may reach out with questions from time to time.

Initial impressions out of the box:
1. It looks as good in hand as it does in the pictures. It’s a beautiful shot gun. Relatively light weight for such a long shotgun. I’m sure this changes when you throw 12 plus 1 shells in it.
2. Standard Mossberg packaging. Box was not damaged.
3. Acc-Set chokes with a choke wrench. Comb/LOP adjustment hardware. Chamber Flag. Safety lock. Manual. Standard stuff.
4. Conversion parts to take it from 12 plus 1 to 4 plus 1. This is important for me since I live in New York State.
5. Safety checked all controls and they all worked fine. No issues.
6. Front sight was where it is supposed to be.
7. I have seen pics of the SG with a ported barrel but my shot gun does not have a ported barrel.
8. There is some wiggle in the forearm and the gap at the receiver is as advertised. I’m not sure how much of an issue this is to me at this point. Time will tell.
9. In the 4 plus 1 configuration there are 2 sling swivel attachment points.
10. Small but functional red fiber optic front sight. This is great for me because I prefer a simple bead sight on my sporting shotguns.

Now I need to start the disassembly process. my plan it to strip it to bone and do a thorough inspection and cleaning. Already have a few specific areas and items to look for thanks to all of you.

The 2 parts that I ordered right away after winning the auction was the MCARBO magazine tube follower and their trigger spring kit. I’ve used their stuff in all of my pump shotguns and I’m a fan.

Once I have it in pieces I’ll get a wish list of items put together. My initial plan is to test it out with the factory parts first before ordering replacements and upgrades.

The one thing I had to do in order to take possession of the firearm was to work with my FFL to install the standard NY State compliant magazine tube. So this it what it looks like as received from my FFL and prior to me doing any work.
80E4F6A9-C50D-46C7-9BB3-10573AE64BDD.jpeg

It should be a fun project and I’m looking forward to it. I’ll post some updates as I progress. My goal is to get it ready to go by next Christmas. By then the snow will be flying and I’ll blend right in!

Feel free to offer up any comments, suggestions, tips, feedback it will all be welcome.

#8 is that specific to your gun or all 930s? It looks great maybe even better with the +4 tube.
I think the gap and the wiggle is an issue with all 930’s with plastic furniture at least. It seems pretty common in the research that I have done. There are solutions to it.

I think the gap and the wiggle is an issue with all 930’s with plastic furniture at least. It seems pretty common in the research that I have done. There are solutions to it.
I have a walnut 930 on the way, I’ll see if it has a wiggle issue.

I would be interested in this as well so let us know. Both the “wiggle and the gap” on wood forearm models.
I picked it yesterday. The wood was a bit loose, but I was able to tighten it snuggly. The gap, between the barrel and wood is Lee’s than 2mm and pleasantly even. No if I can just get the magazine extension to hold the full 7 rounds.

All,
Over the last week or so I’ve completely disassembled the SG down to the bones. The only mechanism that I left alone as the bolt release assembly. I figured since I’m not using the plus 7 mag extension I may not need to rework the bolt release assembly. Time will tell.

Some general thoughts on the disassembly.
1. As semi auto shotguns go it’s relatively easy to take down. My Browning is worse.
2. The SG was new in box but that does not mean it’s clean in box. I cleaned everything. Barrel, receiver, mag tube, springs, all the receiver forward bits and pieces, tigger assembly and pins, bolt release spring tube and all the receiver rearward bits and pieces.
3. Filed down the rough ends of all the springs to remove any burrs and rough edges.
4. Lubricated as required. Made sure the gas system was dry.
5. One note on the inside of the barrel. I scrubbed the hell out of the barrel but for some reason there still seems to be “film/deposit/roughness” in the barrel between the breach and the holes for the gas system. I couldn’t get rid of it. I’m hoping with time, use and repeated cleaning that this will go away. If not I may have to call Mossberg.
6. Reassembled the shot gun and function tested. All is good.

I have installed 2 aftermarket parts at this point. MCARBO’s mag tube stainless steel follower and their trigger spring kit. Both are must haves on all my Mossy shotguns.

The only other part that is a must have is to replace the OEM safety with a pro mag style steel safety (already on order) something like this (Brownells):
9ECF2D3B-2841-4E35-9F8C-72E06C8EB092.jpeg

My plan is to shoot 200 or so target loads, buck shot and a slug or two with the OEM hardware and see how she performs. Then I’ll tear it down again to inspect the innards to see what’s up.

There are some nice to have upgrades that are on my radar from OR3GUN. If my testing proves that the upgrades are required then I’ll spend the money. Time will tell. Their stuff looks first class and if I can increase the performance then it’s a no brainer. I’m not competing in a 2 or 3 gun match but if the opportunity arose I would.

it might take me a while to get the initial 200 rounds through the SG so be patient. I will post updates as I go. And yes, I plan to test the 8 round extension at some point!

Last edited:
Where were you able to find it for that price delivered?

Where were you able to find it for that price delivered?
Ebay. It’s made in China but ships free in the continental USA. $20 less expensive than Brownells.
It is metal and the low profile SHCS and Allen wrench are spot on. I was so impressed I ordered 2 in anticipation of my next Mossy!

Last edited:
The more I look at this, the more I think I need one.

Not to upgrade specifically, but the newer 500 that I have, the selector is very difficult to work. I think the spring and detent ball are messed up. So, if I were to take it apart to change those parts anyway, I may as well make it easier to flip with my thumb while I was at it.

John,
For $11 give it a try. You can inspect the ball and spring at the same time. There is also the safety detent plate under the safety switch that can get dirty as well.
There is nothing wrong with the Mossy factory safety. It does the job regardless if it’s plastic or metal. I just really like the feel of that high ledge and there is very little chance of your thumb riding over it when it counts most.
I have installed them on every Mossy I own except the Onyx Reserve O/U.

I agree. If I'm going to be taking it apart anyway (and I will be) I may as well put the high ledge selector back in it's place. I think the high ledge would be an improvement anyway to be honest.

At this moment, on that one 500, you have to almost use two hands to work it. It's easier if you push it down on the front of the selector while working it. So, there's something wrong with it. And why I expected it was the spring or detent.

John,
I have a spare since I ordered 2. If you want I’ll mail it to you so you can try it out. If you like it then you can buy it from me for $10.79 and if you don’t like it just send it back to me.

That is very kind and generous offer and I appreciate you for it.

However, I have found one on ebay that I believe is the same as the one you used that I was going to pick up soon.

But, thank you again for the offer.

That is very kind and generous offer and I appreciate you for it.

However, I have found one on ebay that I believe is the same as the one you used that I was going to pick up soon.

But, thank you again for the offer.
Great news. Let us know what you find upon disassembly and what you think of the new safety.

No problem. It'll be a little while before I'll be able to pick it up, but I will.

Back