• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Public Service Announcement: Check Your Scope Mounts

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
I was working on my deer rifle today - getting it ready for season (November isn't THAT far away!). As a part of my maintenance, I decided to pull the scope off. Last year I had some serious inconsistency with my shots. While I may not be a world champion long-distance shooter, I'm a fair hand at putting a nice group together out to about 200 yards. For some reason, I would get consistent groups at the range then go back to my farm, put a few more rounds down range, and need to re-adjust my scope.

Well, guess what I found when I pulled off the scope? There were wear marks on the under-side of the forward end of the font mount and the screw was quite loose.

I re-installed the mounts and rings adding a little blue Loc-Tite. We'll see how the groups hold together now.

Well done PSA Mud !!

...always check your firearm, scope and zero before hunting season starts !!

Good postin Toby! Definitely check mounts and rings, I know I dont check mine nearly enough and take for granted everything is holding!!!

I done did it today already. I'm ready for the gobblers. I even shot off some buckshot in the 835. Very nice. Coyotes and toms beware.

Back