• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Public view of the U.S Military

Thank you too everyone who has served or who is serving! I only wish I could have mustered up the courage to do it myself! I kick myself in the rear every time thinking... I could be right there beside them! Many close friends or family members have been deployed or are getting ready for deployment and I can only hope and pray for their safe return!

I have nothing but absolute respect for our service men and women! While there are a few bad apples that make me wanna slap a moose... The few I have come across do not spoil the rest of the basket :D

OldMossy...How's that for a "Shallow water sailor" ;) (Thanks for the rep point)
36406_554233511549_71632_n.jpg

I prefer Puddle Pirate anyways :D

aksavanaman said:
J.L:
1. I've been active duty for 6 years now, and I can tell you my 1st reason for joining was to earn a steady paycheck. But I can tell you that from the people I've seen and worked with, that reason has dissipated and turned into pride and respect. I see my service in Coast Guard as a PRIVILEGE to this country, not a right guaranteed to me... and that's were so many people go wrong.
2. +1.... I don't need more pillars and statues to make me feel better about the military.
3. I'll blame that on #1... I know that my paycheck comes from your tax dollars and hopefully that service member understands there should be a mutual respect. If you've done 6 tours in Afghanistan and volunteer for another, you've got my respect. If you prance around wanting to be admired because you're in uniform and I find out you've never left your desk position in 4 years... no respect. In my job in CG I don't get deployed overseas and I do get to spend a lot of time with my family... therefore I think the service member who deploys every six months deserves more respect than myself.
4. I never complain about my pay and benefits.... out of respect of #1 and #3, I know I'm taken care of for the most part.
5.I would say this is also an age problem... LOTS of Soldiers and Marines are fresh out of high school, have never lived away from home, and were just trained extensively how to kill people... then you add some drinks into the mix... the rest you know yourself.
6. Thanks and +1.
7. I think every young man out of High School should do a year or two in the Military, would straighten out a few kids.
8. I would never follow an order that went against my morales or the constitution I've sworn to uphold... should be a no brainer for all service members, sadly it's not.

And I appreciate the support guys! thanks for the answers!

best answer is number 8. they are all good but i love the #8

we need more people like yourself all over the world. it would be a greater place.

thanks for your time and your opnion. good luck with life

Wow, I just found this thread. Some parts made me chuckle others teary.

Thank YOU!!! To all that ARE Serving, HAVE Served, have LOST a loved one that has served, Are serving from home while Family, Friends, and Loved ones are serving or healing.

Preface; I am not the type of person aksavanaman is asking to reply. I am a Navy Brat. Both my Parents served for 30 years, and retired as Master Chiefs. My Uncle 28 Years LT Cmndr, Grandfather 30 Years Master Chief, Aunt E-9 Airforce, Grandfater 12 years Army, etc...... If I could have, I would have "Served" (DQ'ed Medical).

Being around all branches of the military, and moving every 2 to 4 years, you get to meet/know a lot of them. Yea, there are some A Holes but usually they are few and far between. I have found, like is implied in this thread, that our service members are a family unto itself. Look at the people just from this forum that have served, and how they interact with each other. LES hit this on the head, quoted below, they are all in the same boat (No pun intended).

Regardless of your politics, your party, your individual beliefs, be certain that the soldier on the front lines fights for none of that. They fight for the men and women next to them and for our rights as American citizens. Our politics may devide us, but the soldier on the front lines gives us the opportunity to decide which stance to take.

Respect IS earned.

Every time I see a Service Member in uniform, I make it a point to thank them. I dont think they hear it enough.

Now, from my conversations with General Public (GP) they are ignorant to what it takes to defend "their" freedoms. I dont mean ignorant as a derogitory term, they just dont know, and its not their fault. But when protesters, and leftist, make some of their statements, it really, really bugs me. "You dont have to agree with "insert comment, war, guns, etc", but at least support our troops." Most of them dont want to be there doing it. They are doing it because, like aksavanaman, and others here, they took an oath. And from my perspective there are more serving than just the Uniformed Service Men & Women, their familys and friends serve right along side them (if we are lucky, I was, we dont see the bad stuff of someone not coming home).

I think the government needs to stop sugar coating things, hold the media accountable, and tell it like it is. A lot of things are "spun" to make the GP okay with the story or issue. But when they send people to do a job, let them do the job the way they were trained to do it (Read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell, and you will see what I mean here).

I am going to get off my soap box now. Seems like I am starting to ramble.

Frank

Frank Castle said:
Wow, I just found this thread. Some parts made me chuckle others teary.

Thank YOU!!! To all that ARE Serving, HAVE Served, have LOST a loved one that has served, Are serving from home while Family, Friends, and Loved ones are serving or healing.

Preface; I am not the type of person aksavanaman is asking to reply. I am a Navy Brat. Both my Parents served for 30 years, and retired as Master Chiefs. My Uncle 28 Years LT Cmndr, Grandfather 30 Years Master Chief, Aunt E-9 Airforce, Grandfater 12 years Army, etc...... If I could have, I would have "Served" (DQ'ed Medical).

Being around all branches of the military, and moving every 2 to 4 years, you get to meet/know a lot of them. Yea, there are some A Holes but usually they are few and far between. I have found, like is implied in this thread, that our service members are a family unto itself. Look at the people just from this forum that have served, and how they interact with each other. LES hit this on the head, quoted below, they are all in the same boat (No pun intended).

Regardless of your politics, your party, your individual beliefs, be certain that the soldier on the front lines fights for none of that. They fight for the men and women next to them and for our rights as American citizens. Our politics may devide us, but the soldier on the front lines gives us the opportunity to decide which stance to take.

Respect IS earned.

Every time I see a Service Member in uniform, I make it a point to thank them. I dont think they hear it enough.

Now, from my conversations with General Public (GP) they are ignorant to what it takes to defend "their" freedoms. I dont mean ignorant as a derogitory term, they just dont know, and its not their fault. But when protesters, and leftist, make some of their statements, it really, really bugs me. "You dont have to agree with "insert comment, war, guns, etc", but at least support our troops." Most of them dont want to be there doing it. They are doing it because, like aksavanaman, and others here, they took an oath. And from my perspective there are more serving than just the Uniformed Service Men & Women, their familys and friends serve right along side them (if we are lucky, I was, we dont see the bad stuff of someone not coming home).

I think the government needs to stop sugar coating things, hold the media accountable, and tell it like it is. A lot of things are "spun" to make the GP okay with the story or issue. But when they send people to do a job, let them do the job the way they were trained to do it (Read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell, and you will see what I mean here).

I am going to get off my soap box now. Seems like I am starting to ramble.

Frank

Not ramling at all Sir,

Very well stated and we appreciate your point of view. From one military brat to another, I enjoyed the read and couldn't have said it better...

Frank Castle said:
And from my perspective there are more serving than just the Uniformed Service Men & Women, their familys and friends serve right along side them (if we are lucky, I was, we dont see the bad stuff of someone not coming home

Frank, as quoted above... you're absolutely right! Yes, when I get called at 2am to respond, I know its my job, and usually (not always ;) ) I'm happy to do it. But I constantly think of what my wife and daughter have to put up with as I leave them. I know it will make my daughter stronger for it, and my only wish for when she's older and understands is that she looks at the times I had to leave in the middle of dinner, get on a boat for months unexpected, work on Christmas and Birthdays...and know's I did these things for her, and for the ideals of our Nation (at least the good ones!) So thank you for serving right along side your parents and having to endure the seperation and hardships that are second nature to our families in uniform!

I think every civi should get to know a military family if they don't already.I always knew service was tough on the folks at home,but untill I met and started hanging out with 2 SF guys,I really never knew just how tough it was.It opened my eyes for sure.I now do special stuff for them to make their lives easier and happier when I can.They really appreciate the things I do.Everyone should adopt a military family!

I
nctrailboss said:
I think every civi should get to know a military family if they don't already.I always knew service was tough on the folks at home,but untill I met and started hanging out with 2 SF guys,I really never knew just how tough it was.It opened my eyes for sure.I now do special stuff for them to make their lives easier and happier when I can.They really appreciate the things I do.Everyone should adopt a military family!

Taking care of your neighbors is always important, and you don't know how much of a help it is knowing that you've got someone to help out with shoveling the driveway, or helping around the house, it means a lot to the guys when they can't be there to do it themselves. Thank you and deservent of a rep point ;)

aksavanaman said:
I
nctrailboss said:

Taking care of your neighbors is always important, and you don't know how much of a help it is knowing that you've got someone to help out with shoveling the driveway, or helping around the house, it means a lot to the guys when they can't be there to do it themselves. Thank you and deservent of a rep point ;)
Thanks for the point brother,the feeling I get from helping those two guys is priceless though.I tell them all the time that it is an honor that they let my old butt hang out with them and their families.

aksavanaman said:
I'd like to hear from others out there, especially those that aren't in the military or have family members who serve.

My honest opinion, I view the military well.
Most of my direct and extended family is in the military Navy and Marines, my dad being the odd on out in the Army, my Gramps was in the Navy WW2 andd after went on to become a Brigadier General in the Air Force
It’s a job, It’s an honorable job , they get paid for it. They don’t beg for recognition, they do their job and do it well. They sacrifice, but a lot of folks make the same sacrifices everyday, cops spring to mind and there are many others.
The families do put up with a lot of worry and inconvenience but they also get a lot from the government……at least my sister does…..who is married to a navy man. I support families BUT I don’t like it when there are folks who are expect others to bow down because their kid is in the military. “my son fights Iraq so you can live free”…..I don’t think so.
I appreciate it all and have actually found a friend, who I thought died in Iraq, living about a half mile from me.
I was walking the dog and someone yelled my name form a ways out, as a drew closer …..BRIAN !, “I thought you were dead !” Turns out he got blown up, sent back and shot up. He is on a full ride from the gov for the rest of his life. Nice house, rigs, the works. Poor basted pays for it though. He has issues with holding jobs and interacting with people so he's a stay at home dad, perfect for him.
I take him shooting and dog walking, all on his terms though.
I’ll call and ask every time we go and he won’t want to do it , but he will call at 2200hrs that night and want to walk dogs……I go, he tells a little more……a real infidel .I also keep him in ammo cuz he can shoot and there is nothing worse than a solder with no ammo.
A true American patriot and I will continue to be here for him when he wants to walk dogs in the middle of the night.

EDIT: Cost Guard is awesome, big hero's in my book. Taking care of the only coast that matters to me, the US coast.......when are you guy going to shut the gate on that shit ?

I, like many others on here, have the utmost respect for the members of our Military and their families, and the Veterans that have served.
I do what I can to show my appreciation. One of my hobbies/passions is BBQ, I do competition BBQ, and a little catering on the side. There is a nationwide organization called BBQ for the Troops which I work with. The group goes to Military bases across the country and cooks for troops and their families, usually when the troops are just returning from deployment. Sometimes it is just for a few to several hundred, but at the 29 Palms Marine base, we have cooked at events for over 14,000 troops and their families.
Also, every year on the first weekend of December, I help coordinate the members of our organization, the California BBQ Association (CBBQA), with the Veterans Holiday Celebration organization http://www.vhcevent.org/ who host this annual event at the large Veterans Admistration complex and hospital in Los Angeles. We feed 4-5 thousand Veterans and give them a nice holiday meal. The VHC is a great organization, they provide the meals, entertainment, and goody bags with essentials that many of the Vets who are down and out do not have. Many meals and essentials are also delivered to the Vets in the facilities throughout the hospital and complex who are bed-ridden.
I know, it's not much, just a little something to show our appreciation. I wish more people would just say "Thank You".

oli700EDIT: Cost Guard is awesome, big hero's in my book. Taking care of the only coast that matters to me, the US coast.......when are you guy going to shut the gate on that shit ?

The current administration...especially our DHS head honcho (Napalitano) cares more about CBP drones (that probably spy on us... not the boarders) and TSA scanners than giving the Coast Guard a budget we can actually work with. Since 9/11 our roles have trippled, but the amount off people and equipment have stayed the same. It's always been our motto to "do more with less" and in this case it's Cutters that have served the Korean war (some even older!). I've been told I couldn't order printer cartridges because we didn't have the money. Our office alone has lost 2 people (one was deployed to Afghanistan... the other left the service) and we never had new people transfering in.

We revcieve a two page email about a CBP agents getting in accidents...flipping their ATV's, but when two Coasties were murderd last year (HERE in Kodiak!!!) ... she writes a 5 sentence paragraph. (sorry for the rant)

But, good news guys... we'll keep on going, trying our best to protect our coasts, and saving american lives right here! Maybe Obama can start mandating CG helo's to be electric... then we don't have to worry about fuel.

Sounds a lot like my agency.

Fires are never going to change, they don’t care about budgets.....I have to figure out how to furlough 50 wildland fire fighters in fire season, and still provide fire service to the citizens and landowners of Southern Oregon......all while being in a 5 year pay freeze and a position reclass that ended as a small pay cut for me.

But like you said we just keep going, finding a way to cobble things together and saving a penny everywhere we can and still fight fire aggressively and safely.

I was getting to the point in my career where I could just point my finger and tell everyone how to get it done…..now to generate more money I just accepted a job on a Type 1 incident management team as a Division Supervisor….that throws me back to arduous work setting and staying in the brush for a couple weeks at a time. Its fine I can do it but at 41 and 20+ years of this, my body is starting to wear out, this is a young man’s game……..

I am retired USAF MSgt so my opinion is very biased. But I look upon the young military personnel with a lot of pride. I haven't heard anything but respect for them from those around me. A far cry from what I understand those returning from Viet Nam endured.

But every now and then I hear something that makes me cringe. 3 men were arrested in northern KY for killing and dismembering an alleged heroin dealer. The news made it a point to say 2 of the 3 were former Marines who were discharged before the end of their first enlistment. Not sure if or what in the Marine career has anything to do with the killing but the news went out of their way to point it out.

So some in that immediate area may have a dislike, at least temporarily.

,,,,just in case i missed ya,,,,,

Attachments

• TY flag.jpg
    TY flag.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 405
I have some family and several friends in the military.

I have the utmost respect for the job and what they do but when it comes to individuals, there are heros and douchbags in every group. That said, even douchbags that step up and protect me, my country and my constitution deserve respect. :D

Back