• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Public view of the U.S Military

Brian said there were guys shooting themselves in the gut and legs and things.....and they were still in Kuwait. There are A LOT just looking to get through and not do the war thing......A LOT of people that shouldn’t be in the military that are, they don’t deserve respect any more than anyone else. I have had applicants from the military that I wouldn’t follow to the corner store, and certainly have no plaxce on my line…..don’t know how they made it in the military at all.

oli700 said:
Brian said there were guys shooting themselves in the gut and legs and things.....and they were still in Kuwait. There are A LOT just looking to get through and not do the war thing......A LOT of people that shouldn’t be in the military that are, they don’t deserve respect any more than anyone else. I have had applicants from the military that I wouldn’t follow to the corner store, and certainly have no plaxce on my line…..don’t know how they made it in the military at all.

I would attribute this to much of our current societal problems... the same kids that are being raised by social media, reality TV and absent parents are the ones are joining the military. You also have those, and the CG is notorious for this, that come in with a little college background and therefore think they're privileged, or better than the "rest" of the military. My usual answer to those people... "look down and what do you see??? right...the same uniform that everyone else is wearing". Just as it's been said before, respect is earned... not implied just because you're a member of the Armed Forces.

And thanks for your service MSgt (Ohio)! I was lucky enough to spend 5 weeks with your guys at ALS and really enjoyed myself. Hopefully I'll get the chance to attend NCOA as well!

aksavanaman said:
My usual answer to those people... "look down and what do you see??? right...the same uniform that everyone else is wearing"

I like that, keep up the good work !

I'll try... but even I have been "talked to" for comments like that. It doesn't phase me much though, our services have been built on the blood of the men that left their lives for ideals that very few still believe in. If I have to take a little flak in order to change a young kids mind for the better... it was worth it!

From what I have expierenced, I have seen both ends.
One example I will reference, from personal experience was in NY.
I had an anonymous person pick up my food tab to show their appreciation, and I wasn't even able to thank them beause the waitresses told me they wanted to remain anonymous.
Then that same day I had someone make it a point to confront me and let me know that they hate what I did because I was following the orders of the president of the United States, so go figure..... I actually politely told them it was my choice to do what I do, as it was theirs to do nothing and complain about it (in so many words).
Now I have been in almost 20 years and about to retire from the US Navy in a few months, and I can truly say it is about pride and what I do everyday, and not so much the respect, i could care less about that. Its definitely not for the pay. I know ppl that make more than me in 10 years of a particular trade than I made in my 20 years of service.
Now I initially I came in to get money for college and bounce. But after being involved in saving over 200 ppl from a sinking cruise liner on my 1st deoyment in the middle of the indian ocean, it changed my outlook about the navy and a sence of helping others .
I have since then been in for the long haul, went to Iraq twice, Kuwait, and most recently to Afghanistan in 2010, missing my kids being brought into this world, as well as anniversaries and birthdays year after year, and unable to attend loved ones funerals who have passed over time. And the list goes on and on......
You do miss a lot of time that matters over the years you serve, but I don't regret it because I know my family backs me in all that I do and that's the only thing that matters to me.....

Like other old guys I enlisted in '63 & went to 'Nam in '65. Made a career out of it, and retired in '83. I've seen a lot of changes in the country in the last 50 years, and there will be more to come I'm sure.

A lot has been written about military service in the last 3000 years or so. Rome didn't allow the legions into the city. Over the ages the military has been both despised and loved, often changing within a few years from one to the other. It's just the way it is.

Kipling, I think said it best.
Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

I truly appreciate your service Gunny and Stigmata! If we see each other in a bar, I'll owe you a drink! Wait a second, are Coasties even allowed in Navy bars??? :D

aksavanaman said:
I truly appreciate your service Gunny and Stigmata! If we see each other in a bar, I'll owe you a drink! Wait a second, are Coasties even allowed in Navy bars??? :D

Same to u AK.
I have seen a few coasties (not many) in bars. Don't hang to much in navy bars, but a drink sounds cool. Lol.

aksavanaman said:

I haven't been in a bar in years. Rarely drink outside my property. Sometimes a beer if we're out shopping around lunch. But thanks for the offer. :)

Back