• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Public view of the U.S Military

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I'm curious what the general public thinks about our military and their members. This subject has recently been brought up a lot at our unit and with the public here...and I'd like to hear from others out there, especially those that aren't in the military or have family members who serve. I don't mean to stir a political battle and would prefer that to be left out of your consideration. Of the service men and women you have met, do they exemplify what you feel should be someone representing the U.S.. Do you think we get unfair advantages or privileges over civilians? I’m sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong section…I’m sure someone will move me if that’s the case ;)

First, thanks for your service! I have not served but have friends that have. I personally feel very good about the men and women of the armed services. I think our country is very safe with the various branches protecting us. The service people I know definitely exemplify what I feel is needed to represent our nation. My view is broad based. With that said, I know in any group you will have those that don't. I don't have any feelings that you get unfair advantages over civilians. In fact for some things I feel the benefits are inadequate.

My bigger concern over military personnel is the people in DC that give the orders. I don't want the military supporting or doing domestic loaw enforcement. I have wondered what those in the military would do if ordered to confiscate civilian arms.

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"

carbinemike said:
First, thanks for your service! I have not served but have friends that have. I personally feel very good about the men and women of the armed services. I think our country is very safe with the various branches protecting us. The service people I know definitely exemplify what I feel is needed to represent our nation. My view is broad based. With that said, I know in any group you will have those that don't. I don't have any feelings that you get unfair advantages over civilians. In fact for some things I feel the benefits are inadequate.

My bigger concern over military personnel is the people in DC that give the orders. I don't want the military supporting or doing domestic loaw enforcement. I have wondered what those in the military would do if ordered to confiscate civilian arms.

Pretty sure that would violate both the 2nd and 4th amendment. Now the second half of the oath I took was to obey the orders of the President and officers appointed above me. The catch with that...was it a lawful order :?:

I personally don't have a problem with service members, and I am very appreciative and greatful for what they do, and the sacrifices they make.

But as for employment discrimination, especially pertaining to National Guard where they can be called up for active duty, and the regular weekend guard duty, in some professions where you're required to be on call and work weekends as part of your regular shift and job responsibilities, I'm sure some hiring bias happens but I personally haven't seen that from regular service branches.

On the flip side of that same coin, State jobs DO give hiring preference to former military.

I went to the state capital and took all the tests to be a Park Ranger and scored a 94 on the entrance exams, but was passed over for the job due solely to his former military experience.

I later found out that even with the extra bonus points he got on his exam due to military experience that I still scored higher. It didn't matter that I was a Deputy Jailer at the time and had LEO experience.

So really, that "discrimination" sword cuts both ways sometimes. I've seen both sides of that coin.

Favoritism happens even between Gov't agencies. There was new GS position coming online at our unit and I've been paying attention to the hiring process. A buddy of mine applied for the job with 5 years of hands on experience that directly pertained to the duties of this particular position... but ended up loosing out to someone who had no experience at all... the trick was that he had several more years of AD and partial disability. Don't get me wrong, the guy who got the job is very competent, but I don't think he was the most qualified.

I too want to say first, Thank You for your service!

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Americas fighting men and women. I have seen very few Id rather not see in uniform simply because they're jerks or crass and I don't likke certain dispositions. I have this perception that everyone in uniform should be a paladin and yet within the ranks of knights there were bad apples, probably more than a few... so there ya go.

As a teen fresh outta highschool, I tried to join the Corps. I was turned down based on my medical records, so I tried the USAF! No dice there either. I hold you all in high regard and wish I could have served too, more now than ever before.

I feel you all are given a job to do then sent bound by regulation and bureaucracy that those who ikmpose it can't possibly understand.

I also feel funding the US Armed Forces is a priority and core function of govt. If sent to do somethin y'all better damn well be properly funded.

I don't know that a gun forum will give you an accurate cross section of the population for polling on this topic though. I would hope most of the country also shares our respect towards our Armed Forces.

Ill leave it at that for now otherwise ill just be rambling.

I'll add my two cents as well: Thank You. Although I come from a heritage of religious conscientious objectors (in fact, the reason my mom's family is here in the US is because my great great grandmother did not want her kids fighting in WWI for Germany), I have nothing but respect for our military because I know you would and have defended our rights and freedoms which allowed my family to practice their religion here.

If I ever come across here as anti-military, it is only because of the choices the leadership of this country has made in intervening where I believe we should not be. I wish you guys were here at home defending us instead of out abroad. I can't imagine being away from my family and home for long stretches of time and would love nothing more than to reward our loyal servicemen and servicewomen with the ability to serve closer to home.

My father was drafted into the army for WWII. He survived some pretty awful things. When he got out, the GI bill is what got him through college.

He was highly opposed to me joining the military, but I joined the Navy, because I felt it was my duty. I'm afraid I can't offer much of an unbiased opinion of any "advantages" extended to service members. I'll just join the others in thanking you for your service, and advise you to keep your head down. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I come from a family with a couple military members. My father served almost 30 years in the Navy and my brother served 3. I have not had the honor of serving my country but I may some day if I can't find any worthwhile work.

To answer your question. I think any man or woman who is willing to shed blood defending people he or she does not know deserves the highest respect given. I respect and appreciate everything they do.

Rossignol said:
I too want to say first, Thank You for your service!

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Americas fighting men and women. I have seen very few Id rather not see in uniform simply because they're jerks or crass and I don't likke certain dispositions. I have this perception that everyone in uniform should be a paladin and yet within the ranks of knights there were bad apples, probably more than a few... so there ya go.

As a teen fresh outta highschool, I tried to join the Corps. I was turned down based on my medical records, so I tried the USAF! No dice there either. I hold you all in high regard and wish I could have served too, more now than ever before.

I feel you all are given a job to do then sent bound by regulation and bureaucracy that those who ikmpose it can't possibly understand.

I also feel funding the US Armed Forces is a priority and core function of govt. If sent to do somethin y'all better damn well be properly funded.

I don't know that a gun forum will give you an accurate cross section of the population for polling on this topic though. I would hope most of the country also shares our respect towards our Armed Forces.

Ill leave it at that for now otherwise ill just be rambling.

I figured that a gun forum would be a little biased... maybe I should post the same questions onhttp://www.liberalforum.org/??? All jokes aside, I thank you guys for your positive comments so far and appreciate the honesty. Growing up an Army brat, I always thought that people looked up to those in uniform, or at least understood the sacrifices they have to make, but some of the comments and people I've met since I've been in make me think otherwise :|

I always thought that people looked up to those in uniform, or at least understood the sacrifices they have to make, but some of the comments and people I've met since I've been in make me think otherwise
It's a shame you have had the negative comments. I think most people do appreciate and understand the sacrifice. You will always have some that don't appreciate the effort. I also think as a nation we have come a long way from how Vietnam vets were treated which was disgraceful.

I grew up an Army brat as well.

However, I was an Army brat that grew up with an Airborne Ranger Captain that was spit on and cursed as he was ushered home by those he gave his blood to protect. His generation of veterans have never been given the respect they deserve. To this day, he asks not for respect but for acknowledgement of the sacrifice that was made by so many brave souls that gave their lives for our Country.

His greatest wish is that any veteran I meet I greet with open arms and say, WELCOME HOME!

Regardless of your politics, your party, your individual beliefs, be certain that the soldier on the front lines fights for none of that. They fight for the men and women next to them and for our rights as American citizens. Our politics may devide us, but the soldier on the front lines gives us the opportunity to decide which stance to take.

THANK YOU to all who serve or who have served this great nation of ours...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Regardless of your politics, your party, your individual beliefs, be certain that the soldier on the front lines fights for none of that.

Couldn't agree more! Great group of guys here, once again thanks for the support!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I grew up an Army brat as well.

However, I was an Army brat that grew up with an Airborne Ranger Captain that was spit on and cursed as he was ushered home by those he gave his blood to protect. His generation of veterans have never been given the respect they deserve. To this day, he asks not for respect but for acknowledgement of the sacrifice that was made by so many brave souls that gave their lives for our Country.

His greatest wish is that any veteran I meet I greet with open arms and say, WELCOME HOME!

Regardless of your politics, your party, your individual beliefs, be certain that the soldier on the front lines fights for none of that. They fight for the men and women next to them and for our rights as American citizens. Our politics may devide us, but the soldier on the front lines gives us the opportunity to decide which stance to take.

THANK YOU to all who serve or who have served this great nation of ours...

L.E.S. let me first thank your dad for his service. i too am from that generation of vets. even though we were called baby killers and more it does my heart good to see how people are now respecting our vets and giving them the thanks and warm welcome home that they deserve.
what bothers me more than anything is seeing my country in the shape it is now....but i know one day it will be back on its feet again. i just hope this old mossy is still here to see it.
God bless America.

aksavanaman said:
I'm curious what the general public thinks about our military and their members. This subject has recently been brought up a lot at our unit and with the public here...and I'd like to hear from others out there, especially those that aren't in the military or have family members who serve. I don't mean to stir a political battle and would prefer that to be left out of your consideration. Of the service men and women you have met, do they exemplify what you feel should be someone representing the U.S.. Do you think we get unfair advantages or privileges over civilians? I’m sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong section…I’m sure someone will move me if that’s the case ;)

aksavanaman,,,thank you and you family for serving. what i see right now how the general public this is the highest i have ever seen the LOVE for our service members. don't ever let anyone tell you different. i wish you well and God bless and God speed.

i think military is awsome when they protect us. by the martial law stuff in new orleans was weird imo.

theres too many drunk party people in the military too. just my opnion tho

all in all if your a respected military person i respect you. but if you dis respect people i do not like you. also if you do drugs and drink all the time i cant respect you.

Here are my opinions and observations:
1. I hate being lied to. I know many military in all branches and know that they joined for financial reasons. Now in uniform they claim to have joined to protect our country. Tell me the truth.
2. I dislike all these monuments being erected for the military. I would rather that money be spent on better medical services for our soldiers. Anytime I get to vote for better services for our military personnel, I vote yes. When asked to vote for monuments, I vote no.
3. I dislike military people expecting respect because they served in the military. To me, respect is earned not given because of a uniform. Same goes for police. Simply accepting a job does not earn respect.
4. Lets be honest: Military is not always voluntary. To me, a volunteer does the job without compensation or need for acknowledgement. Our military gets a salary for the jobs they are expected to do (they don't get paid enough in my opinion).
5. I have encountered some military (mostly army), when confronted, always want to take the challenge outside along with his buddies. I would be a fool to accept a challenge with a guy with his friends outside. Granted, some have been drinking, but some others were sober. This may be due to their training. My personal belief is that a man needs to fight a fair fight (one to one, and no hitting below the belt)
6. I do respect the military for the job they are expected to do. I believe that they should not be stifled by the rules of war that our enemies do not follow.
7. I do see the benefit of military, and their training. I have witnessed the military turn many youths into better, respectable adults. These are kids that did not really have the proper guidance in their young lives.
8. When I give, I give freely and do not expect or want thanks. I treat people the way I want to be treated. As long as the military is with the people, my silent vote will always be to benefit the military.

J.L:
1. I've been active duty for 6 years now, and I can tell you my 1st reason for joining was to earn a steady paycheck. But I can tell you that from the people I've seen and worked with, that reason has dissipated and turned into pride and respect. I see my service in Coast Guard as a PRIVILEGE to this country, not a right guaranteed to me... and that's were so many people go wrong.
2. +1.... I don't need more pillars and statues to make me feel better about the military.
3. I'll blame that on #1... I know that my paycheck comes from your tax dollars and hopefully that service member understands there should be a mutual respect. If you've done 6 tours in Afghanistan and volunteer for another, you've got my respect. If you prance around wanting to be admired because you're in uniform and I find out you've never left your desk position in 4 years... no respect. In my job in CG I don't get deployed overseas and I do get to spend a lot of time with my family... therefore I think the service member who deploys every six months deserves more respect than myself.
4. I never complain about my pay and benefits.... out of respect of #1 and #3, I know I'm taken care of for the most part.
5.I would say this is also an age problem... LOTS of Soldiers and Marines are fresh out of high school, have never lived away from home, and were just trained extensively how to kill people... then you add some drinks into the mix... the rest you know yourself.
6. Thanks and +1.
7. I think every young man out of High School should do a year or two in the Military, would straighten out a few kids.
8. I would never follow an order that went against my morales or the constitution I've sworn to uphold... should be a no brainer for all service members, sadly it's not.

And I appreciate the support guys! thanks for the answers!

once again i want to thank you and your family for your service and sacrifice.
Merry Christmas and stay safe.

Back