• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about the Or3gun Enhanced Competition Followers

I'm looking to buy a full combo kit from Or3gun but both combo kits they offer only come with the Waterfowl follwer. It has a different shape and a smaller hole from the competition version and I was wondering what the actual difference was between the two? If I'm using the shotgun for home defense, which follower is best and why? I don't know much about either and I just assumed that the smoother competition one would be the better option, but that's just me.

Do both allow you to still get the maximum amount of shells into the tube?

ECF-Tiny.jpg
- Competition
Follower-Waterfowl-RC-Tiny.jpg
- Waterfowl

Otherwise, I've tried contacting Or3gun a bunch of times but they have yet to respond so I thought I'd ask here. @OR3GUN

Last edited:
Hi…My understanding about the follower is that it’s configured to work with a magazine plug which is required for waterfowl hunting. Good luck with contacting OR3GUN…I have tried often, also with no success

If Or3gun will sell me a magnum-ready combo kit but swap out the Waterfowl follower with the compeition follower I'll buy it.

I’ve purchased some items from Or3gun and they have worked as advertised. I’m very happy with the upgrades and would recommend them to others.

Ive not purchased any of their followers. Not because they may have issues but because I already purchased followers from another company for all my Mossberg shotguns. The stainless steel followers I purchased work great on my pump guns but not so great in my 930’s. I went back to the factory follower in both my 930’s. Problem solved. Note the aftermarket follower I choose did not change the magazine capacity at all.

Looking at the 2 followers in your post of the Or3gun offerings I would recommend the red one. I say this since it’s geometry on the front face is such that it would not cause the issue I was seeing with the “other” follower in my 930’s. I can’t say anymore since I have no experience with either of them.

Try one (or both) out and let us know!

Hi…My understanding about the follower is that it’s configured to work with a magazine plug which is required for waterfowl hunting. Good luck with contacting OR3GUN…I have tried often, also with no success
This is the answer. The competition follower could (theoretically) allow you enough room for an extra shell, if you trimmed your spring a bit as well.

They are a very busy crew. I purchased the Field Combo, and use this follower: https://www.hfd2.com/defender

No question about catching in the extension tube transition, or spring-folding.

OR3Gun's product is gtg too, tho'.

This is the answer. The competition follower could (theoretically) allow you enough room for an extra shell, if you trimmed your spring a bit as well.

They are a very busy crew. I purchased the Field Combo, and use this follower: https://www.hfd2.com/defender

No question about catching in the extension tube transition, or spring-folding.

OR3Gun's product is gtg too, tho'.
So it sounds like there a risk I might not be able to get the full 7 in the tube with the Or3gun followers without snipping the spring a bit?

So it sounds like there a risk I might not be able to get the full 7 in the tube with the Or3gun followers without snipping the spring a bit?
Not really, the issue is whether an overzealous game warden can squeeze an extra round into the mag because of the extra ~1/8" of space for a dowel to bottom out on with the Competition. E.g., if you trimmed your spring back for "reliability", and cut your dowel on the short side, you'll get extra room. If you run 2 3/4" instead of 3" it can make a difference.

Most folks that get into trouble are already doing something squirrelly, so in overall context, the difference should be meaningless, but the Waterfowl model will absolutely bottom out the follower on a dowel plug.

The other favored catch is looking for guys carrying with a ghost load on the carrier.

Not really, the issue is whether an overzealous game warden can squeeze an extra round into the mag because of the extra ~1/8" of space for a dowel to bottom out on with the Competition. E.g., if you trimmed your spring back for "reliability", and cut your dowel on the short side, you'll get extra room. If you run 2 3/4" instead of 3" it can make a difference.

Most folks that get into trouble are already doing something squirrelly, so in overall context, the difference should be meaningless, but the Waterfowl model will absolutely bottom out the follower on a dowel plug.

The other favored catch is looking for guys carrying with a ghost load on the carrier.
Well I definitely won't be hunting with this shotgun. May take it camping just for fun, but it's mainly just for home defence. That had me thinking the competition one (blue one) may be the better choice but I have no real idea.

Well I definitely won't be hunting with this shotgun. May take it camping just for fun, but it's mainly just for home defence. That had me thinking the competition one (blue one) may be the better choice but I have no real idea.
Pick the color you like...:thumbsup:

One facilitates the use of a magazine restrictor plug (used in the USA for migratory bird hunting). The other does not

One facilitates the use of a magazine restrictor plug (used in the USA for migratory bird hunting). The other does not
But what if I don't have a mag restrictor plug (does one come in the 930 tactical?)? And I won't be using it for hunting. Would it still feed smoothly and take the full amount of shells like normal? (7 for the smaller 2 3/4, 6 for the bigger 2 3/4 and 3")

No reason why it shouldn’t work properly. The requirement to use a magazine plug (in this country) is only for migratory birds as best I know
I have not used a plug in any of my shotguns….ever.
No, I am not a duck hunter. And using a magazine capacity plug for a defensive weapon just is not a good idea, I don’t think.
But…I may had use for this 930 in other purposes some day, so what not have the parts necessary for use in different applications?

Last edited:
But what if I don't have a mag restrictor plug (does one come in the 930 tactical?)? And I won't be using it for hunting. Would it still feed smoothly and take the full amount of shells like normal? (7 for the smaller 2 3/4, 6 for the bigger 2 3/4 and 3")
Yes. Unless you have roughage/shavings in the mag tube-extension junction.

Back