• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question If The Month (September 2022) (Shooting Frequency)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
How often are you target shooting? Is that more, less or the same as previous years?

Much less. Ammo is too expensive and I don’t want to go through my stock. If I find a “deal” here and there I’ll take it. Mostly .22 caliber pistol and rifle.

If you don’t count throwing knives and hatchets, or the pellet gun, I’ve had zero practice in 2 years.

Of course once you know how, it’s like riding a bike, but it never hurts to practice.

2019 - normal frequency
2020 - minimal
2021 - minimal
2022 - zilch

Bought more guns in the last 3 years than ever before and been out shooting less than ever before...a little ironic perhaps?

2019 - normal frequency
2020 - minimal
2021 - minimal
2022 - zilch

Bought more guns in the last 3 years than ever before and been out shooting less than ever before...a little ironic perhaps?
As a non hunter, all the proper “target” shooting was accomplished in the army. After that it was just blasting stuff in a gravel pit somewhere, with friends. And now, as strictly home defense tools, once I knew my shots follow the laser, I really only shoot when I try different ammo and even then it’s only for recoil comparison…

Target shooting? I was on the US ARMY post rifle team and I competed against other .mil shooters and civilians. I was issued a National Match M14 and match ammo. That is the last time I think I really shot targets in the literal sense.

After that I never really got into things like bullseye and small groups. Minute of playing card for handguns was pretty okay most of the time because I was shooting for police tactics.

Since retiring I have bought at least six or seven guns, and I have three of them still unfired even though I have over 15,000 rounds of loaded ammo and a shooting range right alongside my driveway. I know. I should be embarrassed.

And I have 20K of primers and lots of bullet molds and lead and 20# of rifle and pistol powder to make as much as I could want.

I am just not as motivated as I was for decades. The last TWO primer and ammo shortages turned me into a hoarder and I haven't fully cured myself of that mentality.

I find myself thinking that when I give my kids most of my guns each gun will come with a couple thousand rounds.

I've shot more this year (handgun/shotgun).

I need to shoot more. I noticed a decline in some if my fine motor skills. I'm not as fast as I used to be.

A: not enough, and less than previous years. Have "plenty" of ammo (you can NEVER have enough ;) ) but always on the lookout for more. As it is about 1/2hr to the range, I prefer to go with someone worthy, such as one or both of my kids. One minor reason I don't go more is that it is a LOT of work going to the range (sort of). BTW, I drive a sedan so not as easy as throwing everything "in the back" Gotta pack the guns being used, ammo for the guns, rests for the guns (a sandbag door stop), tools to work on the guns if necessary, safety gear, targets and stapler, liquids and snacks, etc.

My son has a new GF who has never shot before and who I would like to bring to the range (and she WANTS to go) so that will be the next trip, hopefully this month. I need to get boxes of what we will probably shoot, mainly .22LR and possibly 9mm carbine and maybe handgun. PS: I also need to go over guns and safety rules with her beforehand...

CadmannQ> Well I finally got my fishing buddy Bobby out fishing, and now maybe I can get him out shooting.

C'mon, Cadd! Think ahead! Come boating with me and we'll do both.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back