• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question of the Month . . . (Feb 2023 Govt abuse of preppers)

As far as I’m concerned, the Chinese or Russians can spy all they want. Maybe they can even spot nuclear submarines from a balloon. It doesn’t matter. They don’t wanna be annihilated in a thermonuclear war any more than we do.

To believe otherwise means that you believe that they are not quite human.

As evil as people may be, they are almost uniformly human. Even jackasses like Joe and Xi.

As far as I’m concerned, the Chinese or Russians can spy all they want. Maybe they can even spot nuclear submarines from a balloon. It doesn’t matter. They don’t wanna be annihilated in a thermonuclear war any more than we do.

To believe otherwise means that you believe that they are not quite human.

As evil as people may be, they are almost uniformly human. Even jackasses like Joe and Xi.
Yup! Peace through assured mutual destruction!

I’ve been seeing these crazy Clickbait things about secret Russian cities underground and how the elite of the world will survive thermo-nuclear war in their luxurious bunkers.

See that’s never gonna happen for two reasons.

All those luxurious bunkers have rotted into shambles during the 70+ Cold War years, except for a very very few.

But say that part of it was still 100%. Maybe several thousand lucky people could survive thermo-nuclear war underground long enough to witness the earth decontaminate itself enough to come out from hiding.

If they didn’t all murder each other.

Some people would still have to work but now it’s the almost-elite people.

Eventually some people would feel survivors guilt, because they knew that billions had died while they survived (and did not deserve it, being that we are all sinners.)

When they open the doors in a holy suicide attack, and contaminate everyone, then that would be the end of the underground bunkers.

...then that would be the end of the underground bunkers.
Somewhere in my archives, I have a bunch of pics of a former underground (vertical) missile silo in NY that was for sale on debay. About 20yrs ago. I think the ask was a little over $100k. It was total barebones as the gov't left it, silo flooded, control room trashed, etc. A real "fixer-upper". I fantasized about how cool it would be to live there then reality set in... ;)

I suspect in the apocalypse, "long" pig will be abundant and the flesh of choice. :) No one will have pets anymore because you had them for dinner. :D I see you dipping your fishing pole in the tank, Cadd... ;)

So, provided there isn't a severe nuclear winter which of course would mean all bets are off...I think it's possible that those who live far enough away (very rural, remote areas) from detonation sites and upwind of significant fallout have a chance of surviving long term. Provided they are capable of being self-sufficient and living off the land for an extended period of time. No one knows for certain how government and military shelters and bunkers will fair during such a cataclysmic event, but if limited organized resources/services were even partially restored within 6 mos or a year there is a good chance for survival. I'm assuming that many who might survive the detonation/impact of a strike, if poorly positioned for fallout wind patterns in the following days would probably be dead within a year. Radiated bodies with poisoned water and soil.

It would likely depend on how many enemy missiles were intercepted before impact...I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that no one has better capability to knock down incoming missiles than the USA. There are so many variables it's really impossible to predict. If there is a way to survive humans will find it and exploit it. Of that I am sure.

I'm assuming that many who might survive the detonation/impact of a strike, if poorly positioned for fallout wind patterns in the following days would probably be dead within a year. Radiated bodies with poisoned water and soil.
This is a screenshot of a 1000kT blast with fallout option checked. You can create many scenarios with the program at this LINK. A lot depends on prevailing winds. Sweet dreams--no, you're gonna be up all night... ;)

1000kt.JPG

Here are some pics of the silo mentioned above. Description indicated silo was flooded but control room had been mostly pumped out. I believe the gov't flooded it when they de-commed it. Probably a million gallons in the launch tube... :eek:

ROCKETD1a.jpg item_168_30f.jpg item_168_8f.jpg

If a citizen left something like that behind, the EPA would go nuts. The government wants to unload the environmental responsibility.

Underground missile sites were always a mistake. They should’ve always been above ground, but we should’ve built 1000 fake ones too, so they couldn’t tell where to aim.

This is a screenshot of a 1000kT blast with fallout option checked. You can create many scenarios with the program at this LINK. A lot depends on prevailing winds. Sweet dreams--no, you're gonna be up all night... ;)

View attachment 29000
I like that site, I've used their nuke map before. It's pretty cool.

Screenshot 2023-03-03 173754.png

I used Bremerton WA (naval base) as the impact point with what the site says is a current 5 megaton in China's arsenal.

Thanks Mac. My lawn was looking mow ready anyway….Between the base in Bremerton, the nuclear sub base in Bangor and Lewis/McChord, ALL of which are nuclear warhead delivery facilities, and all within 40 miles of every living member of my family, I’ll leave you my key under the mat…lol of course our friends at Bangor and Kings Bay might not take kindly to that. lol I sleep like a baby..4E4041DC-3535-4349-A281-CB170B55D45A.png

Last edited:
Back