• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question related to wall locks

docket

Copper BB
So, I’m a new member with a new (never yet fired outside the factory) 930 SPX. I’d been looking at the Hornady RAPiD Shotgun Wall Lock, only to see, courtesy of a reviewer’s comment on Amazon, that it requires a locked-back bolt, because its breech-blocking post has to fit into the open breech. His position was that this lock is useless for an SPX home-defense scenario as it requires the gun to be unloaded.

To confirm that it was impossible to “lock back the bolt” if the magazine tube wasn’t empty, I played around with dummy rounds. What I discovered, at least for my specific SPX, was that I could do the following:

1) Load up the magazine tube

2) Pull back the charger to bring in a shell onto the elevator

3) Push down on the top of the shell thereby depressing the elevator ( as you might do in preparation for ghost loading)

4) Slowly release the charger

Doing the above causes the bolt to “hang up” with the breech open. Bumping the charger causes it to slam home, chambering the “floating” shell as expected.

My questions:

Do all SPXs, or a representative sample, operate this way?

Is this likely to be simply an anomaly that might go away as my shotgun is broken in, or would I be able to count on this behavior in the long term?

If one used this mode to secure the SPX in the wall lock, would it be problematic in the event the charger was bumped and the bolt attempted to close on the breech-blocking post, sitting in that position for a potentially long period? (If that did happen, obviously the bolt would close and the round would be chambered in the act of removing the gun from the lock)

docket, interesting question you pose here.
First let me state that I AM NOT familiar with your SPX nor the RAPiD wall lock, but I like your approach to the analysis.

f5fa52dd-54a0-4644-b42a-6c6561f88e8e.jpg

You write: >...reviewer’s comment on Amazon, that it requires a locked-back bolt, because its breech-blocking post has to fit into the open breech.

I'd be interested in seeing a copy of the whole comment. Does it really imply that "it was impossible to “lock back the bolt” if the magazine tube wasn’t empty"?

You seem to have experimented and confirmed that you could do that.

If I were in your position, I would start out by contacting the mfgr by phone (1-800-338-3220) or web https://www.hornady.com/contact/ and share your concerns. Ask if you can return the product if it does not fit your application for safety, convienence, and accessibility.

I'll be eager to see your follow-up.

I respect that you want your firearms to be secured.

I cannot think of a single reason why I would like one of those things.

I respect that you want your firearms to be secured.

I cannot think of a single reason why I would like one of those things.

Greetings John A.

Could you expand on your rationale for not liking that product?

Cheers,
...docket

I don't like the concept of electronic locks in general.

There's other ways to store a firearm safely and securely.

I don't like the concept of electronic locks in general.
There's other ways to store a firearm safely and securely.
John, as I have written before: Guns and batteries don't mix...

but in this product they do have a barrel lock, so the gun is always available to the key.

If it's not 100% electronic, would be a little different.

I guess I should not have mentioned the "lock" in this post at all, since the only responses I have received don't address my question(s), but rather focus on religious issues of how to store one's firearm. I had really hoped someone with a 930 could confirm (or not) my experiment. Surprising, since I even posted in the 930 forum asking for 930ers to look at this post. Oh well.

Well to answer your original question- no the bolt will not be locked back unless the magazine is completely empty. Just the way the 930 is.

Sorry that you're disappointed in the quality of answers that you are getting.

Maybe the lack of responses are indicative of how many other 930 owners are (not) using this system.

I don't think it has much to do with religion.

Back