• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Questions on new Maverick 88's??

I am gonna get another Maveriick 88 security 18.5 inch barrel, I have saved enough for even a 590 but I decided on another 88 and more ammo. I went to my local store and saw a few 88's that however leave me with a few question as all 4 were new but different and with a few same flaws. Two had the swivel stud molded in the stock and two had the hole drilled in the stock for a metal stud if a person wanted to put one in. Also the stocks did not sit exactly even on the receiver as the stocks were either farther over to one side or raised up above the receiver. I would have to loosen any of them and straighten that as they were not very good at the stock receiver fit. Everything else including working them was good and smooth. My question is are the 88's made with different stocks?, is the molded swivel stud durable?, and is the bad fit normal at times? My last 88 I bought, the stock came loose after shooting slugs and I retightened it and it has not loosened up since. I have a post on here about that as well. For those that may ask, they did have a 590 tactical and it was as I could see perfect in fit, finish, and function. thanks

I would go with the molded swivel stud. Also ask the seller to take the stock off and straighten it out before you buy it.

Thought I would update. I got a call this morning from my local shop, an 88 they had ordered came in. They said it was 18.5 inch barrel and had perfect stock to receiver fit. I went and they brought the box out and I pushed the plastic back and yep perfect stock to receiver fit. I asked how much and said $200 out the door since I do most my trading there. I said hand me the paperwork and I came home, had some yard work to do and finally done so I decided to clean my new gun and put it away till I could shoot it. I opened the box all the way and dang it was a 20" barrel 7 shot mag tube, it did however have swivel studs on the stock and magazine cap. I can't go back today as they close early on Saturday and won't be open till Monday. But now comes a new question, how does the 20" barrel compare to the 18.5? What would y'all do if this happened to you? Never owned a 20" or a long tube either, gun will be used for home defense and deer hunting and deer regs says I can have up to 10 rounds in mag so the mag tube isn't a problem on that. Thanks for any help.

For that price grab it! Don't worry about the 20" barrel you won't even notice the difference between the 20" and the 18.5". And you will have the larger mag tube.

The only "issue" with the 20" barrel is it comes with the matching long mag tube. If you got the 18.5", it will have the shorter mag tube which allows you to swap to a 28" field barrel or 24" rifled barrel (for example). Otherwise it will provide decades of service and an extra two shells or even more if you use minis and an Opsol... ;)

If you need to get a mag tube for a 18'5,,24" or 28" barrel, Havlin sales has them for $15.
I have an old Persuader 20" and I bought a 24" rifled slug barrel. And a mag tube from Havlins.
That's a very good price they gave you for the 20" Mav 88.

I have decided to take it back tomorrow, I have another 18.5 and just want the same in case I decide to add barrels or when small game hunting I have plenty of mag plugs for the 5+1. The gun is nice but I just like the look of the 18.5. thanks

I went and got my 18.5 Maverick 88 security today, came in after just two days. Everything is great on it but I noticed something on it as I also did the 20" barrel. At the end of the barrel on both, it was rough to where a Q-tip would snag, blued good but rough on the one I took back and this one. The date on the box was the same for both, 4-28-23 so on that day the cutter must have been dull. Can't see looking at it as it looks smooth but a Q -tip will snag on it. It's on the inside edge of the barrel. Gonna shoot it tomorrow and that should smooth it out.

Can you send a pic so people can have a look. This will give others something to look for when they are purchasing.

Can you send a pic so people can have a look. This will give others something to look for when they are purchasing.
I have tried but just like looking at it with my eye, can't see the roughness with a phone pic. It's not shiny at all and can be felt with a finger and it will snag a q-tip slightly. The feel is like very fine sandpaper. I will keep trying and post one if I can get a right angle.

Ok this is the best I can get it, look at the inside edge, you can see the roughness. Oh I forgot to mention the Maverick came with two swivel studs installed, I took the upper off because I have to align it up even and need to work on that.

Attachments

• 20230616_121115.jpg
    20230616_121115.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 6
It's hard to see how much of a burr there is from that picture. Maybe try some emory cloth and sand it out.

It's hard to see how much of a burr there is from that picture. Maybe try some emory cloth and sand it out.
Thanks and several years ago this would have bothered me and i would have tried something. But as I have got older and a recent health scare, I have decided not to sweat the small stuff. The gun cycles and shoots great which is the most important, I just thought it was strange that two guns have the same burrs and being tagged with the same date as well.

Back