• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rabbit Hunting Questions

honkey

.270 WIN
I have been trying to go on my first hunt for a while now. Since I haven't been able to work out a date with any friends, I was thinking about just going to a nearby WMA and trying my hand at rabbit hunting. I have my Mossy 500 12 gauge and was thinking I would use it. I am just going to go out and see what I can find at the WMA after I do my hunter ed field day. My main concern is I keep seeing where people are stating that a 12 gauge is too much gun, but I also see people saying that it is what they use. I am planning on picking up a modified choke and using #7 shot Winchester Ammo. Am I on the right track?

Yea. That's about right. You don't "NEED" a gun as large as a 12 for Rabbit. Anything smaller will be just as effective. I mean, the object is to kill the little thing! :lol: So it's all good. Use what you got. And have fun doing it.

Paul

I debated this same issue when buying my first Mossberg 500. I ended up with both a 12g and 20g, but it really comes down to ammo selection more than anything. The 20g is nice due to the more pleasant recoil for faster follow ups, but not necessary.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
... it really comes down to ammo selection more than anything.

+1

Exactly what I was going to say.

Back