• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

rail install ?s

nickfroelich

Copper BB
i just picked up my second mossberg, i would like to install a rail for mounting a red dot sight but there are no existing holes for mounting a rail. anyone ever mount one themselves? thank you!

top.jpg

mossberg500.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Nick. I personally haven't mounted one (because I have the 930) but it's not difficult to install a stand alone rail if you already have the tools and taps. If not, I would find a local gun shop or machine shop and take the stripped down receiver in with the rail and hardware and have them do it.

Check ebay for the B-Square Scope Mount Model 16500. That should be the ticket you are looking for if your not interested in minimal profile.

Paul

I would only attempt to drill and tap it myself if I had the tools to keep it perfectly aligned and tapped straight. You don't want to start out with it askew.

If you don't mind the sight being a bit higher than it would be on a rail, take a look at the Aimtech saddle mount. I had one on an 870 and it was as solid as a rock. No drilling or tapping required.
FWIW
YMMV

Back