• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

Re: New Taurus 709 vs Kahr CW9 range report

Not trigger-firing Pin. Arg. My typo. More tomorrow.

Nice eval mingaa. I have been thinking about one of these for my wife to carry.

A better look at the two:
Kahr CW9 3.6" barrel, 22.1 oz with empty mag - DAO
Taurus 709 3.2" barrel, 22.2 oz with empty mag

7112929771_67fd3f15d3.jpg

6966805480_fd885791b5.jpg

7112883781_c4c5ff79a5.jpg

6966806338_11154c1eaf.jpg

Thanks for the great evaluation, which was very well done!

I have a 709 and don't regret my decision to buy one. It's been a good pistol so far.

I'm glad you are enjoying yours!

Do you guys know if night sights are availabe for the 709?

Hmmm- quick search didn't come up with any but I bet SOMEONE has produced them. Anyone?? Maybe time to start a new thread - do a search. This must have been discussed before, eh??!

You know, I recall some discussion over on TaurusArmed.net and see that you're on there as well. Maybe we should try searching a dedicated forum like that one for some info!

I'm on it here in a bit!

Yesterday, my brother in law asked me to go to the range with him. He had only ever shot a pistol once before, and he wanted to go again. His dad gave him a Hi Point 9mm a while ago. He thought that it was shooting several inches Hi. I took one shot with it at 25 yards...

4409f2e0.png

Of course, this was mostly luck, but I decided to take a picture of it and I let that be the only shot on that target all day.

The gun was surprisingly accurate though and we put 120 rounds through it with no problems. He also said that his first time out, he put 130 rounds through it and he didn't have any problems then either. The only issue we had was that the slide doesn't always stay back after the last shot. When he told me that his gun was a Hi Point, I was skeptical just because of all the bad things I've heard, but I think his gun would make a fine self defense gun. It seems a bit big to me for a single stack and I don't like the grip and I don't like the safety on it, but it functions fine. I never would have believed it unless I had fired it myself. For him, he got a free gun from his dad that goes bang every time he pulls the trigger and is accurate. Since he is just learning to shoot now, that is really all he needs.

His dad also gave him a Benelli Pump Action 12 gauge and is going to give him a few more firearms when they get together again... Apparently his dad has a rather large stash of guns he isn't using.

Nice shot honkey! For me to do that I'd have to leave powder burns and gunshot residue on the paper.... You're the Man!

I went to Swan Creek for about 90 minutes this morning before taking a nap so I can work 14-hours tonight (municipal court before a 12-hr shift).

I shot the single shot Handi-Rifle in .357 a bunch @ 50-yards. It hits broken clay targets laying on the berm so easy it's boring, but I smile with every shot 'cuz I loaded my cast bullets into .357 cases and the whole cost per shot is about four-cents. I can't do any cheaper with a .22 LR Rimfire. So it doesn't bore me, it makes me happy! And a 140-gr bullet hits with a lot more thump than a .22 rimfire!

I also shot the CZ-75B @ the 25-yard range and she sang beautifully, even with my cheap 9mm cast bullet reloads. So far not a single hiccup or failure of any kind and it's accurate with a good trigger and excellent pointability.

And I shot my Taurus 709 Slim with more cheap cast bullet reloads and it did okay, although it shoots low and I have to compensate beyond about 15-yards. I might just file down the front sight. But it's a BUG not a plinker so I don't know what I'll do. I've carried it for years, and knew about the shooting low issue since I bought it, and honestly I don't think I'll be using the sights anyway if I shoot it in self defense. It was 100% reliable, as usual.

Some shooters who never fired an AR-15 accepted my invitation to shoot my patrol rifle, and they really loved it.

And I helped an older guy who was fighting his Ruger MkII with a red dot. He couldn't get a pattern whatsoever even when shooting off a rest at 50-feet. Other shooters had looked it over and tried shooting it and had the same result. I took the invitation to check it out and first looked for loose rails or mounts. They were okay. Then I noticed that he was using a rear sandbag "V" rifle rest and was nestling the tip of the muzzle into the "V". Once he took my suggestion to use a "U" front rest (instead of rear) and brace the pistol where the front of the trigger guard meets the frame things went perfect. When he was using the muzzle to rest the gun in the "V", it was causing the muzzle to bounce on firing, which caused his shotgun-like patterns.

I wish I had more time to stay longer. I came back with a few hundred loaded rounds that I never even fired. I gotta go back soon. Maybe honkey and I can meet up. Anyone else is welcome as well!!!!!!!!!!

One of these days i'm going to make my way out there on a long 3 day weekend! 12 hours there and 12 hours back might be a long trip but i imagine it would be well worth the trip.

bsipes30 said:
One of these days i'm going to make my way out there on a long 3 day weekend! 12 hours there and 12 hours back might be a long trip but i imagine it would be well worth the trip.

Where's "make my way out there"? New Jersey? :lol:

It hits broken clay targets laying on the berm so easy it's boring

Good to know that someone went and took care of the mess of clays I left on the berm... I only broke 3 out of the 15 or so that I put up there yesterday with pistols. It was a bit of an off day for me shooting at the clays... I kept hitting all around the edges of them yesterday. That drives me crazy when I do that and can't hit them.

I did get to pass on a little bit of what I have learned in the past few months. There was a kid at the range (Maybe 10 or 11 years old) with his dad and they were shooting two Mosin Nagants. It was the kid's second time shooting, and he was SOOOOOO bored. They would take 5 shots, and then his dad would spend 10 minutes wiping the guns down and cleaning them out, then repeat the process. The kid had a Ruger 10/22 that he wanted to shoot, but his dad kept telling him to quit being a wuss and to shoot the Mosins, but I don't think the problem was that he wasn't enjoying shooting the Mosins, he was just bored with all the cleaning! His dad told me that he was also new to shooting and this was his second time on the range too, so I guess they are kind of trying to learn to shoot together, but without anyone to show them how.

The kid was asking me about my guns and he looked interested in shooting them, so I invited him to shoot my pistols (with the dad's permission of course). He told me that his dad had let him shoot his .38 Special before, but when I saw him pick up the pistol and shoot, it was obvious that he hadn't been taught how to hold a pistol. He stood with his feet together, leaning back, was shooting one handed, and shooting all over the place. So I taught him the little bit I have learned about how to stand and showed him how to put his second hand on the gun. By the end of it all, he was putting shots on the paper at least using my Ruger Mark III, and he had a blast with the XD. It was kind of fun teaching a kid to shoot and I see why all the mom's and dad's on this forum have fun teaching their kids. Hopefully it will keep this kid interested in shooting, otherwise he'll just think shooting is boring if he is just mostly watching his dad clean for so much of the time.

I'm almost done with Spring classes and then I'll be ready to meet up again with Nitesite. I'll also be setting up my reloading press soon and I am looking forward to shooting a couple hundred rounds without breaking the bank every time I go out there.

Great shot honkey!

First time out with my 4" .357 mag revolver I nailed the center of the bull on my first shot of the day. I immediately packed up my gear and went home... :lol:

That reads like a great day to me nitesite!

It's funny, I get just as much satisfaction out of letting others fire my weapons as I do shoot'n em myself especially if they've never had the opportunity before.

You're a good man Charlie brown...

My S&W 22A with an old Burris 3X pistol scope. 10 shots @ 25 yds braced on a tree to replicate how I would squirrel hunt with it. Old Remington 22LR solid lead ammo. First squirrel on the hit list is the one that chewed up the wiring harness on the firewall of my truck while I was overseas. :twisted:

IMG00075-20121004-1229.jpg

I see a story developing here.

One ripe with revenge, suspense, and intrigue. I've got $5 on you and your 22A! With shoot'n like that the furry little bugger doesn't stand a chance. Lookin forward to an update on this one for sure...

This is the most accurate revolver I ever owned or even shot for that matter. This is the .460 S&W from 100 yards. I really like this pistol and is so well built from a strength standpoint. I tried two different bullets and both shot well. Pretty powerful medicine in a handgun.
200-100Yrds-1.jpg
460-200FPX.jpg
Chrono200.jpg

Back