• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Range Report

BenSamp

.270 WIN
I received 50 rnds of monolit28 steel slugs, went to the range today to see how these guys shoot. I loaded five rounds into my 930, the first shot was low but the next four had better grouping. The recoil was a bit light in the 930 due to the gas system, I had no FTF,FTE the rounds cycled without a single problem after 20 rounds. It did leave a gold tone material behind in the action area but not in my 590A1, the 590A1 still has a almost horizontal pattern to it, the recoil was a bit more with the pump action. Once again no FTF or FTE's this gun has been rock solid from day one.
Over all the Monolit28 was longer then the "normal" 2 3/4" round instead of 7+1 and 8+1 subtract one with this round
1. Overall use- this is supposed to be a hunting round that is safe for the enviroment, it uses a galvanized coated steel slug, also minimizes lead fouling in the barrel could be used as a home defense round.
2. Price- I got these rounds for $3.49 for a box of five from SGammo $149.50 for a case of 250 not a bad price.
3. Pattern- your mileage may vary, I got a 5" pattern from 25 yrds on a bench rest 9" overall with 5 shots from my 930, I still have yet to solve the 590A1 patterns yet.
4. Fouling- these rounds shot pretty clean in my 590A1, but a tad dirty in my 930, I have to figure out what the gold tone flakes are. The top target is the 930, the bottom target is the 590A1
Would I buy this ammo again? yes would I recommend this round to a friend? yes
6775386382_49eececd85_z.jpg
6775386390_87f6d6e00b_z.jpg

Thank you for reporting on this product. I truthfully had not heard of them before you posted up your first thread on it recently. It's certainly a low cost alternative to the pricier choices out there, and it seems to shoot okay. For hunting I think it would certainly leave a good exit wound.

Again, thanks for sharing your good experience with us!

Ben, I really appreciate this stuff! Thanks for the review, I'll add this to the sticky list! ;)

Hi Ben, thanks for the review. The question I have is 4 out of 5 with the 930 looks good but the fifth was low and to the right, was this the last shot or do you remember? I am thinking of purchasing some of this but I have to check w/SGammo about sending it to Ca., yes I know I live in a messed up state.

cbshooter said:
Hi Ben, thanks for the review. The question I have is 4 out of 5 with the 930 looks good but the fifth was low and to the right, was this the last shot or do you remember? I am thinking of purchasing some of this but I have to check w/SGammo about sending it to Ca., yes I know I live in a messed up state.
CB, that was the first shot, the anticipation of pulling the trigger got the best of me :eek:
The problem I want to solve is the almost straight line pattern of my 590A1, How do you adjust the front sight?

cbshooter said:
I know this post is a year old, but for those that utilize the search feature such as myself... in actuality this steel ammunition is allowed in parts of California where standard lead slugs are not!

It's one if the few approved non toxic round approved by the Ca DFG allowed for use in the "condor range" in central/southern ca.

Back