• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Receiver-mount vs forend-mount - home defense LED

I'm considering swapping out our Chainsaw's forend (3 rails plus the weed-eater handle) for one from a Cruiser (grip strap, but no rails). If I do that, I'll need to add a short rail somewhere for our LED light.

I realize I could just remove the handle and keep the light there, but the rail slots on the bottom of the Chainsaw's forend are pretty rough on The Missus' hands (mine, too, but I'd just man up :lol: ).

I like the forward position for the light as it allows better "look around the corner" cover safety in home defense situations, but it also puts more weight out on the muzzle (we're old and feeble). Aside from that, are there any reasons to prefer one mount location (receiver vs. forend) over the other?

Muzzle shadow is something to think about. The further back the light is, the more shadow will be.

Most lights do not add significant weight to the firearm, they are designed with that in mind.

If you want to keep from having the rail on the underside of the forend feeling too rough, try a package of the Magpul XTM™ Rail Panels. I put them on my 590A1 recently (same forend I beleive) and I found them quite comfortable. One package has 8 sections that interlock into 4 rail cover segments. Three covered the underside of my forend.

670-074_xtm-panels_colors.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Ripsnortr said:
Muzzle shadow is something to think about. The further back the light is, the more shadow will be.. . . .
Hadn't thought about that - good point!

Ripsnortr said:
If you want to keep from having the rail on the underside of the forend feeling too rough, try a package of the Magpul XTM™ Rail Panels. . . .
Cool! I'd considered grinding off most of the slots (leaving only enough on the front for the LED mount), but hadn't thought about filling them in. Plus, these would be removable if someone wanted to go back to stock. Worth a try, anyhow for $7.47 (including shipping) on eBay - thanks for the suggestion!

Great suggestions Rip!

I've found these Ergo Ladder Rail Covers very useful on my shotguns and ARs...

They're relatively inexpensive and come in a couple different lengths. Very comfortable during extended use and you can trim them to fit just about any length you need...

Ergo LowPro Ladder Rail Covers

Good points and good lookin out Rip!

I havent tried mounting a light to the forend and have mine as far forward as I can get iyt mounted to the magazine tube.

Howevr I do have a railed forend and I use the ERGO low prowfile covers too.

Back