• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recommended .223/5.56 round for coyote?

Dang... I looked for the Winchester, unsuccessfully.

I did however get some Hornady TAP FPD 55 gr. Theyre the same as the VMax but in a nickel case and I got them from Palmetto State Armory for $17 per box.

John A. said:
tcecil88 said:
+1 on the Winchester White Box 45gr. I pick up a box whenever I see them @ Wal-Mart. Usually around $30 for a 40 rd box.

:shock: Are you serious?

I remember when they were $8 per 40.

Yep, like $29.98 / box. They have a pic of a bobcat on the front.

HI I wanted to add to this conservation, i shot 2 yotes last fri night with pmc 55 gr bronzefmj, neither went far after being hit, i was suprised as they are tough animals with a lot a zest to live. i usually only use hornady v max but i did not have the chance to shoot them yet in my mmr hunter. the fmj went through the yotes, and did a lot of damage but had small exit holes. using the vmax in my h&r .223 i have seen devastating results, entrance is minimal, while the exit is in several instances the fragments have stripped the meat and skin away from the ribs leaving an errie look of bare bloody ribs.

Oh i use the .223 rounds whenever i can as they seem to be more consistent,round to round.

John A. said:
Hornady 55gr Vmax

OR

if you can find any of the old 45 gr Winchester white box varmint bullets. They're very accurate and do really good for preserving pelts. The tips kind of look like a star and fragment almost immediately.
I've been toying with this bullet in reloads, been stupid accurate

Ammo here has been very scarce with no .223 or 5.56 to be had. I ordered before Christmas and just go a few hundred rounds of Fiocchi .223 with the Hornady V-Max 50 grain. Any body had some hunting experience with the V-Max bullet? It was the only thing I could find but at less than $40 per hundred with new brass. I like the dynamics coupled with the hollow point. Works well with my M&P-15. Got it just in time for my birthday last Thursday. Almost 2 months on the back order. I have a few rounds of 55 grain sp in 5.56 and most of the rest is Russian 55 grain fmj boat tails. Still not enough ammo to be comfortable with the wife to be target practicing.

nasa said:
Ammo here has been very scarce with no .223 or 5.56 to be had. I ordered before Christmas and just go a few hundred rounds of Fiocchi .223 with the Hornady V-Max 50 grain. Any body had some hunting experience with the V-Max bullet? It was the only thing I could find but at less than $40 per hundred with new brass. I like the dynamics coupled with the hollow point. Works well with my M&P-15. Got it just in time for my birthday last Thursday. Almost 2 months on the back order. I have a few rounds of 55 grain sp in 5.56 and most of the rest is Russian 55 grain fmj boat tails. Still not enough ammo to be comfortable with the wife to be target practicing.

The Vmax is their varmint bullet and it's stupid accurate in my 1 in 9 twist

With the AR coming, we're hoping to get out for some coyote hunting. We have slugs for the shotguns, but I'm not sure what to go with in .223 Remington or 5.56.

I have FMJ, but I'm thinkin an SP, or JHP or something like that would be better. Maybe even the offerings from Hornady or Nossler with balistic tips?

Anyone have a favorite here?
I have takin coyote with a 280rem 150gr core lock and took almost a full day to find the animal.
I have takin deer with a 223 75gr bthp and drop um in there tracks. Shot placement is everything.
This may sound corny to some of you but it's just like the movie quote (aim small miss small) lol it's worked for!!

I've never shot any of the fusion loads, I've been using rem 55gr psp in 223 for varmint at shorter ranges but I've never had the opportunity to bust a coyote with um yet.

I rarely get beyond 150-200 yards varmint or predator hunting but if I do get the opportunity to shoot out past that I go with the 55gr vmax.

Here in NY we are lucky to get a shot over 100 yards on any coyote. I have had them as close as 20 feet.

It's the same way here in eastern Ky with thick brush, deep hollows and second growth timber.
But there are allot of old reclaimed surface coal mines were you esely see from mountain top to mountain top. Not that I have anything that will do a 1,000 yard shot in these places but I have took a varmint or 2 in these places out 200 to250 yards.

Guys and gals, I roll my own and swear by the 40gr V-MAX in my T/C Venture Predator 223. They will not exit a grey fox and leave a small entry hole. If you are a fur hunter you will see what looks like a rash on the inside opposite of the entrance which does not hurt the pelt. When I used a 22-250 I was driving the same bullet over 4200 fps.

Back