• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Red dot or holographic

Will be mounted on a Mav 88 and used for turkey loads and slugs, both having substantial recoil. I'm trying to decide between the Primary Arms Reflex and either the Primary Arms Microdot or the Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. Thoughts and opinions about the relative suitability of each for the referenced applications would be most welcome.

Quality wise probably a wash. I like both companies quality control , but I have to give customer service to Primary Arms. Not saying Bushnell is bad but Primary Arms is like no other place , it's that good, legendary even. Look around about PA's CS, usually flawless and highly personalized.

I have a PA green dot reflex they made years ago that has lived on a 40 S&W, then on my 12 ga .

Marshal from PA travels the Chinese plants and uses only the best and won't accept a finished run till it meets his strict QC.
That being said, Chinese is Chinese.....hit or miss sometime no matter how strict your QC is. That's where customer service really shines.

I also have their 1-6x and it is very well built. It does not resemble imported optics at all, I dare say it is a quality optic.

As far as choosing between a tube or reflex, I prefer a reflex. But one thing to consider is durability, tube will take more abuse , they sell protector mounts for reflex sights.

Also PA reflex has to be removed from the base to change the battery , causing you to have to resight ever time you change batteries.
Considering they don't have one with an on/off switch the batteries don't last as long as I would like to see. They are comming out with a reflex that has a switch very soon but for now they all go into a sleep mode , very dim, when the cover is installed.

I have a Bushnell 4 reticle red dot on my 500. I like the fact that I can change reticles if I desired from a dot to a crosshair to a donut/dot if I were so inclined.

It is extremely accurate with slugs, and of course, marginally accurate with shot, as would be expected.

I understand that you are interested in the small optic (which mine isn't exactly small), but that is my experience with Bushnell and the 500. Mine has done well.

Thank you both for the cogent and well reasoned responses. I am now leaning towards the PA Microdot because, as noted, it has a shut off, the tubes are a bit tougher than the reflex, and PA has a good rep for CS. The small size is a plus also. It's not going to get much use. The gun will come out once or twice for turkey season then back in the cabinet until deer season.
Again, thank you both very much.

ETA: The new reflex with the switch is now shown on the PA, site but the description indicates that it is not rated for shotguns. That pretty much means that I'll go for the Microdot when it is back in stock.

Last edited:
I'm running a sightmark ultra shot 2 on my 930 use it mostly for turkey hunting found a tube style red dot got in the way when I duck hunted as seasons overlap and I'm to cheap to buy another fun fun this one doesn't bother me have even shot skeet with it

The PA Microdot is back in stock, but with shipping it comes to 40% more than the TRS-25. The $ difference is minimal ($26) but it's more the principle of the thing. Since I'm in no rush, I'm going to wait just a bit and see if PA offers some kind of sale or promotion now that the competition has stiffened up.

Got an e-mail from JoeBobOutfitters.com today and they are now carrying Primary Arms optics. Looks like they have the MicroDot in stock and any order of $90 or more ships free...

Anyone know if Primary Arms will run a Black Friday sale? I'm looking for a better deal on the MicroDot. I found the TRS-25 for $55 shipped. PA wants $91 shipped for the MicroDot.

Finally, I made a decision, took a different direction, and got a small red/green dot sight on Ebay for $25 shipped. It seems to be a solid little sight and so far it's holding zero after a dozen full power slugs. Here's hoping. For a 1/3 of the price of the PA and less than 1/2 of the TRS-25 it's worth a try.
FWIW, Palmetto State Armory has the TRS-25 on closeout for $50 plus shipping if anyone is interested.

Back