• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading Rifled Slugs

DoubleTap

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Im looking to start get into reloading and was wondering if you could reload rifled slugs in a normal reloading press or is there other steps you need to take?

It is very difficult with most loading set-ups. The 6- or 8-point crimps simply dont allow a roll crimp found on Foster and Brenneke type slugs. About all I can do with my standard MEC presses is load a soft lead cast slug into a wad specially designed for them. The wad looks very much like a regular shot cup wad but it's not interchangeable . Then star crimp over the top. The slugs I have look very much like a HUGE .177-cal air rifle pellet and weigh about 1-oz.

Of course, this type slug never touches the bore and never gets any spin at all so effective ranges are kept to about 50-yards before the slug sorta "knuckleballs" in flight.

I hear that there are ways to roll-crimp a new hull designed for slugs, and use an entirely different base wad, and a lead slug that matches the bore and not the inside of the wad, but the process is tedious and there are many imperfect rejects.

I feel that at this point the cost of components alone makes buying factory slug ammo the only smart option.

Back