• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RELOADING SHOTSHELLS LEE LOAD-All SHOTGUN CARTRIDGE

blue said:
I've used that lee at the range. Not the best choice if you're going to be using the steel base remingtons. You have to really pull to size them.

If Kadence can do it, we all can :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSRc08N8g0&feature=related[/youtube]

That might be the cutest kid in the world

I loaded 100's and 100's for my Grandpa on a MEC Sizemaster like that when I was 8,9,10 YO. He was huge into clay

oli700 said:
blue said:
I've used that lee at the range. Not the best choice if you're going to be using the steel base remingtons. You have to really pull to size them.

If Kadence can do it, we all can :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSRc08N8g0&feature=related[/youtube]

That might be the cutest kid in the world

I loaded 100's and 100's for my Grandpa on a MEC Sizemaster like that when I was 8,9,10 YO. He was huge into clay
If this cute little girl can do it, this 70 year old in his second childhood can do it.:)

Went to Gander Mountain today, got the wads, and powder and a box of AA #6 that was on sale. Just to practice with and than reload. What's the difference between the AA and the factory Super X that Win sells at WW.? As far as the hulls are concerned.
Obtw, they didn't have the same powder as you listed, but I'd did find some Red Dot that is for shotguns and some Hodgdon. Can we work with them?

OK VTX......this stuff is very specific. You need to order or get the book. I have tried the best I can.
Look at the data table I posted in this section and you might find a load for Hodgdons HS6 or Universal. Go to the Allant site for the red dot. I don’t like giving recipes because if something goes wrong I don’t want anything to do with it. I thought you were getting the process but I am not sure now so.......if you need help I am glad to help but I am not going to suggest any more loads till you do some more research....please don’t take offence its nothing personal

oli700 said:
OK VTX......this stuff is very specific. You need to order or get the book. I have tried the best I can.
Look at the data table I posted in this section and you might find a load for Hodgdons HS6 or Universal. Go to the Allant site for the red dot. I don’t like giving recipes because if something goes wrong I don’t want anything to do with it. I thought you were getting the process but I am not sure now so.......if you need help I am glad to help but I am not going to suggest any more loads till you do some more research....please don’t take offence its nothing personal
I understand.

VTX said:
oli700 said:
I understand.

And believe it. Reloading is addictive. You'll run across powders or primers on sale. You'll be able to buy whatever you find and use it safely when you own a manual. When I run out of components to reload, I'm always a little sad. There's that "Man... I just got into a rhythm too!" feeling.

I don't know if there's any where you live, but borders is closing down. I'm finding a lot of shooting related books at mine. 40 to 50% off.

blue said:
VTX said:
oli700 said:
I understand.

And believe it. Reloading is addictive. You'll run across powders or primers on sale. You'll be able to buy whatever you find and use it safely when you own a manual. When I run out of components to reload, I'm always a little sad. There's that "Man... I just got into a rhythm too!" feeling.

I don't know if there's any where you live, but borders is closing down. I'm finding a lot of shooting related books at mine. 40 to 50% off.
Bought the book last night off eBay $23.00 best price I could find.
Right now I have a lot of powder and wads that don't match up with any of the data I see on the manufacturers sites. Have to regroup. Anyway my loading equipment will be here on Weds.
Thanks for the help.

Hi guys, I have everything I need to start reloading.
And the the Layman 5 th came in today. So not only do I have everything I need, I might even know what to do and how to do it right. :idea:

VTX said:
Hi guys, I have everything I need to start reloading.
And the the Layman 5 th came in today. So not only do I have everything I need, I might even know what to do and how to do it right. :idea:

Sweet! :D

oli700 said:
right on. I just got back from shooting more handloads.
Well how did it go?
I've been reading the 5th and find a lot of loads I can make with the stuff I have, so I may be starting to reload soon. I also bought some factory loads that use the Win AA hulls, so I can have some good hulls after shooting them. Although it seems that U can use any of the factory hulls for any thing you might want to load up. You just might not be able to use them as many times as some other hulls.

It went real good. The wads I have are unslit and I thought it would be cool to cut them myself and find what I like. They are cool but the ways to cut them are many so R&D is becoming extensive.....but it’s all fun and I am shooting more. Working on my own load already......didn’t think I would be doing that yet but I am so....I am actually working a load down, not up, and using a better hull so I feel safe doing it. I already shot the first one and that’s the scariest so they are only going to get less pressure (psi) from here on. Taking a recipe for Federal paper basewad hull and using it in a Federal plastic basewad Gold Medal hull. Since the paper basewad absorbs energy (psi) I am working the powder grains down for the plastic basewad which doesn’t absorb as much pressure. The main reason I am doing this is because the Gold Medal hull has a tad more room in it and it accommodates my slightly oversize cast 00 buck better.

oli700 said:
It went real good. The wads I have are unslit and I thought it would be cool to cut them myself and find what I like. They are cool but the ways to cut them are many so R&D is becoming extensive.....but it’s all fun and I am shooting more. Working on my own load already......didn’t think I would be doing that yet but I am so....I am actually working a load down, not up, and using a better hull so I feel safe doing it. I already shot the first one and that’s the scariest so they are only going to get less pressure (psi) from here on. Taking a recipe for Federal paper basewad hull and using it in a Federal plastic basewad Gold Medal hull. Since the paper basewad absorbs energy (psi) I am working the powder grains down for the plastic basewad which doesn’t absorb as much pressure. The main reason I am doing this is because the Gold Medal hull has a tad more room in it and it accommodates my slightly oversize cast 00 buck better.
Sounds like you're on your way.
I am using Win AA hulls with WAA12R wads and # 4 buck right now.
I have to first shoot all or some of the shells I haven to get the empty hulls I need to use.
Right now all I have are loaded shells. I need to get over to a friend house this weekend and blast off a few dozen so I can get started reloading.
All the shells I have now are bird shot like # 8, 7 1/2, 6, and 4. Shot. Im going to use them for target practice before I load up the buckshot.
Thanks for the info.

that sounds cool. I need to get the WAA12R's too. There are a few loads that call for them in a few different hulls. Arent the WAA12R only available through Claybuster ?

oli700 said:
that sounds cool. I need to get the WAA12R's too. There are a few loads that call for them in a few different hulls. Arent the WAA12R only available through Claybuster ?
Yeah, Claybuster Shotshell Wads 12 Gauge CB1138-12 (Replaces WAA12R) 1-1/2 oz
I just ordered some from Midway.

oli700 said:
Here is a little something, Buy a Lee production pot and a Lee slug mold. Get some Federal Top Gun's 1oz load or 1 1/8th load. Cut the top off the shell just enough to pour the shot into the pot and melt it. Pour the molten lead into slugs. Put the slugs back into the wad. Most of the time they are a good fit and wont fall out but you can drip some wax on to make sure. Now you just took $.15 round and turned it into a $1 round.

I had a question about this: do you cut the shell from the edge inwards (like slicing a sausage) or from the top down (like opening a tin can with a bowie knife), or does it matter?

also, since you're starting with manufactured ammo, does the lead need much fluxing/prep work, or is it pretty much good enough going into the pot?

This is a great idea...

Back