• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RELOADING SHOTSHELLS LEE LOAD-All SHOTGUN CARTRIDGE

VTX dont know how but I screwed your post up, some how edited VTX post a couple up but it still has your info and some I added.....sorry

I was making a post earlier this week at the same time as you oli, and when I hit submit it took me to the preview only it had your post content. Hit submit again and it submitted my post. I don't remember what thread it was in, but it was weird. Maybe a bug Dan should take a look into.

On topic though: I really like the idea of getting into reloading my own rounds and maybe even casting stuff, but that's just one more hobby I can't afford while I'm trying to get my paint booth built for the DuraCoat stuff. I'll have to look into that Lee unit though. Looks nice and simple.

oli700 said:
VTX dont know how but I screwed your post up, some how edited VTX post a couple up but it still has your info and some I added.....sorry

Just tried to post and the same thing happened to me.
No prob though.

A friend of mine just called me to say he has some primers and powder to give me.
I'll check it out to make sure it's the right kind though..

If you post it I will look in my book. Primers for shotguns will be 209's. Winchester , CCI, Federal good for domestic brand hulls. Rio's take Rio 209, Imports take a slightly differant size but still called 209's.

I've used that lee at the range. Not the best choice if you're going to be using the steel base remingtons. You have to really pull to size them.

If Kadence can do it, we all can :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSRc08N8g0&feature=related[/youtube]

oli700 said:
If you post it I will look in my book. Primers for shotguns will be 209's. Winchester , CCI, Federal good for domestic brand hulls. Rio's take Rio 209, Imports take a slightly differant size but still called 209's.
My friend gave me 1,000 209 primers and a 5gal bucket of shells that either could be shot, or disassembles for the shot and powder or just filled and re crimped.
I'm being very careful with them.
I just ordered the Lee load all from Midway and some shot and wads.
I have enough shells to keep me busy for a while.
Any advice?

If you post what the hulls are I can look up some recipes. Don’t use the powder out of the shells in the bucket unless you know for sure what it is. Just remember not to stray from known data when reloading shotshells because a shotgun wont put up with pressure changes like a rifle will....this is very important as the chamber on a shotgun is quite thin for the pressures it has to deal with.

If we start with the hulls I can PM you some components to pick up and recipes to use.

I would just shoot the shells for the hulls and start fresh from there.

Are you going to cast buck shot or slugs? Or just going to purchase them ?

oli700 said:
If you post what the hulls are I can look up some recipes. Don’t use the powder out of the shells in the bucket unless you know for sure what it is. Just remember not to stray from known data when reloading shotshells because a shotgun wont put up with pressure changes like a rifle will....this is very important as the chamber on a shotgun is quite thin for the pressures it has to deal with.

If we start with the hulls I can PM you some components to pick up and recipes to use.

I bought 00 and 4 buck from Midway just today. Although I can in the future, go up to Ocala to Gander
Mountain and pick up what I need. I had to pay the same shipping for the loader, so I got so shot at the same time. I will have to go to GM to get the powder anyway.
I was thinking that the powder that is in the shells now would be good to use. I think my friend did the reload on them by hand, so some of the crimps are coming undone and shot is coming out, and some of the hulls are bent. So that's why I'm taking them a part and trashing the hulls.
I was going to order new hulls, but I figure I will have a lot to reload after I shoot the 71/2 bird shot I have that I bought at WW.
oli700 said:

The hulls, shells are all Winchester AA and my friend says the powder is them right kind and they were loaded by another guys who does a lot of reloading so he says they are good.
I checked the amount of powder in the ones I took apart and it was 30 gr. The shot is #8 bird.

30 grains of what? No two powders are the same. 30 grains of herco is hotter than lets say 30 grains of blue dot. Burn rates are important. 1 pound of powder is 20 bucks or so it’s not worth the potential problems ....not trying to be your dad but if I am going to help you through this we need to know for sure what it is.....your face depends on it. Even using different primers than a recipe calls for can tweak the pressure enough to throw it over to dangerous if you are already pushing the line.

I have a few loads for AA hulls. I will PM you some info tonight.

oli700 said:
30 grains of what? No two powders are the same. 30 grains of herco is hotter than lets say 30 grains of blue dot. Burn rates are important. 1 pound of powder is 20 bucks or so it’s not worth the potential problems ....not trying to be your dad but if I am going to help you through this we need to know for sure what it is.....your face depends on it. Even using different primers than a recipe calls for can tweak the pressure enough to throw it over to dangerous if you are already pushing the line.

I have a few loads for AA hulls. I will PM you some info tonight.

Of course you are correct in what you say. I will be going up to Ocala this Monday to get the powder.
Are the 209 primers ok?
What powder would you suggest ?

The 209 is what you want. Win.209 seems to be the most popular in the data I have out of the Handbook. Since you are going Monday I will send you what recipies I have for the AA's and shot you have some time tonight. Are you looking for a hot load ?

Do you have a scale ?

oli700 said:
The 209 is what you want. Win.209 seems to be the most popular in the data I have out of the Handbook. Since you are going Monday I will send you what recipies I have for the AA's and shot you have some time tonight. Are you looking for a hot load ?

Do you have a scale ?

I have a scale. As far as hot load,,, what ever will Kill a BG at the most, 10 yards.

At the range I will be shooting at the same distance.

I'm building my own range at my house next week or so. Depends on how hot it is.

I really don't care if I use the Win AA shells. If there is any difference, I will have the Win super speed Xtras to use after I shoot them. Or the speed X that the 00 buck are in.

AA's are good to go. I would have to see a cross section of the others to ID them for the proper load

It is, the different construction on the inside of the hulls is the only thing that matters.

Check you PM's

oli700 said:
It is, the different construction on the inside of the hulls is the only thing that matters.

Check you PM's
Oh man, didn't even know I had them.
Answered it.
Thanks

Yup, if you dont understand anything about the data let me know.....be safe, dont forget Winchester AA red or grey hull only

Back