• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing bead sight

JimBob280

Copper BB
Good evening, new member here, been lurking for a while now..

My question is in regards to removing the front bead sight. I am planning to modify and install a mossberg heatshield on my shockwave and my understanding is that i would need to drill a hole in the shield for the front sight. Since I am planning to mount a laser and I don't currently aim with the front bead, I would rather just remove it and put the shield on without drilling it. If I do so is it ok to leave the hole empty? or will it get damaged over time or cause accuracy issues? Is there something that can be screwed down into the hole to plug it?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum JimBob. Congratulations on your new Shockwave.
There is a threaded plug, but I don't remember what size. I reckon someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Use a small pair of Vice Grips. Put some tape on the jaw and and around the sight to keep from scratching the barrel. Light clamps and turn counter-clockwise. No problem,.

Last edited:
Leaving the screw out should have no impact on accuracy, it will just act as a single port hole unless you have choke tubes then the tube will block it internally.

It may fill with residue, dust, etc over time. Make sure you keep it oiled to keep rust from forming. If you decide to reinstall a bead you may need to run a tap through it to clean it out but that should be all.

I want to say its a 5/64" 5-40 thread on Mossbergs but you may want to verify that.

send me your address in a PM and I'll mail you a pair of filler screws. you'll have to file them down to length.

Protip: Your heat shield will move forward no matter how tight you clamp it down. drill a small dimple in the bottom of the heat shield, and when you loctite the filler screw in place, leave it sticking up about 1/16th of an inch and set the heat shield hole over it. Problem solved.

Welcome, JimBob, to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

In that case I would just snip the bead off with some wire cutters and dress it with a file. The hole is plugged and nothing gets boogered up.
I see your point Mainsail, but how would you remove the threaded plug if you changed your mind?

Back