• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing The MMR Hunter Handguard

Thank you the tip.
I will give this a try.
And post when I get it off and what it took

If I continue to have a problem I will end up taking to a gunsmith to have them do it.
Just hate doing that because I want to learn to take care of the MMR myself.

I'm a do it yourself'er too.

If you don't have a vise available, it might help to have someone else hold the receiver while you turn the handguard...

Ok

Quick update
I did get the Handguard off finally. I was trying to loosen the handguard itself when I realized I needed to tighten the nut (turned it clockwise) just behind the handguard on the barrel nut. once this loosened up the handguard i found it is threaded into nut and not onto the barrel nut itself.

here are some images I took for reference

CIMG0169.JPG

CIMG0171.JPG

CIMG0173.JPG

I did apply heat from a heat gun to the nut and used a strap wrench to loosen it
then the handguard came right off

Outstanding!

Glad you were able to get it off. Thanks for the update and the pics are awesome! This is gonna be a big help to others around here. What are your plans now that you have it removed?

I am replacing the Stock Handguard with a Rifle Length Quad Rail as my first mod to my MMR.

I had fun getting the Gas Block also but finally did. it is pinned and they were in there really good.

I took another photo showing all the parts removed
top is the gas tube
middle is the Barrel Nut, Lock Nut, Washer, Gas block with the three pins above it.
bottom the handgaurd

My Quad rail did not come with any shims which is a pain as I need at least one so before I can put it back together I need to locate some. (any suggestions are welcome as to where to order from, i thought they would be simple to find)

CIMG0176.JPG

if anyone is interested I be happy to also post images of the barrel and upper receiver

that all for now

Sandra

Howdy Sandra,

Thanks for the pics! Good to see you were able to get it all disassembled. Those gas block taper pins can be a real PITA. Some manufacturers even set them with a hydraulic press which can make them extra stubborn. Spikes has a shim set for $11.95 that I've used a few times...

Barrel Nut Shim Kit

I'd call them and order by phone rather than order on-line. It looks like it's in stock, but a sales rep will be able to tell you for sure before you place an order. If all you need is one, I do have a single extra shim laying around in my parts drawer. I don't need it and will send it to you if you'd like...

Thank you for the information and offer
I can believe they used some kind of press on the taper pins. I replaced the gas block with a Troy low profile one.

I did go back and recheck things which was good as I had to torq wrench set to 40lbs to start not 30lbs so I backed off the Barrel Nut and re-torqed to 30lbs then readjust to 40lbs and it probably only needed 31 lbs to get things aligned.

I checked the fit of the charging handle and bolt and it slides good, no sign of any binding on the gas tube.

I used blue loctite on all the threads and got everything back together pretty quickly

So here's a pic of the finished MMR

CIMG0191.JPG

I am thinking I will put on an adjustable stock next.

I did get the GL-Shock and got it installed

Getting the A2 stock off went very easy and by the book. Needed a little heat from the heat gun to loosen up the loctite but that was all

So here is the MMR Hunter that's now more a Tactical Hunter :D

CIMG0194.JPG

And a better look at the GL-Shock
CIMG0196.JPG

Forgot to add that I hope to go out this weekend and check how its shooting. weather permitting.

Very nice!

How d'you like that UTG red dot? I had one of 'em set up on my wife's AR before she decided on something else with a little magnification...

Which way did the tapered gas block pins come out? If you were in the shooting position did you drive them out from the left side to right? Thanks.

Hey all, long time no post!! I see there has been a lot of informative things going on here. I have been away because I was on vacation for 2 weeks and frustrated cuz I had to wait 2&1/2 months to finally get my new handguard for my MMR. Sandra, nice job!! Very good info, I am going to see my buddy the gunsmith this wknd and change mine out. So I have yet to get to the level you have reached. And I appreciate the knowledge. I went with the "12.37" Samson Evolution Series" handguard, pretty bad A$$!! I really like the way your MMR turned out. I've mod my stock and scoped it, adding the new handguard will be the cherry on top!! Pic's to follow. Thanks again for posting your success.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,942
Good to see you back on MacMan.

Lookin forward to seeing your MMR tricked out with the new handguard...

Gunslingers5411 said:
Which way did the tapered gas block pins come out? If you were in the shooting position did you drive them out from the left side to right? Thanks.

Welcome aboard!

Your taper pins will push out from left to right as seen from behind the rifle. Take a close look and you'll see that the left end of the pin is smaller in diameter than the right...

Hey lazy eyed sniper, you sure about the rear facing left to right pin removal for the gas block? I decided to attempt to replace the handguard myself, as I am a major do-it-yourselfer too. But I have got as far as getting the top pin out left to right. But can not get the bottom two out for the life of me! Any help is greatly appreciated. Otherwise I have to go to the gunsmith with my tail between my legs...... Either way, I just want it done right without ruining my beloved AR... ;)

Sandra, can you help, how did you drift the lower pins out? Mine are being very stubborn, and I have pounded so hard already that it has left marring. I noticed you mentioned that you replaced you gas block. Is that a result of a dificault removal as well?

Oh, and Lazy eyed, when I said "rear facing" I ment facing from to stock to muzzle. Drift the pins left to right, correct?

Back