• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing The MMR Hunter Handguard

Correct, left to right as seen from stock to muzzle.

I've removed a few of these pins in my time and they can be a real pin in the @$$. Try heating up the gas block with a heat gun or hair dryer before tapping them out. Make sure the gas block and barrel are supported and be very careful not to deform the pins if you're planning to reuse them. There is a taper pin punch made with a concave surface designed specifically for removing these pins or you can pick up a 3/32" nail punch from your local hardware store that is virtually the same thing...

3-Piece Nail Punch Set

Some manufacturers will use a hydraulic press to set their taper pins, but with a proper punch and a little heat they should come right out for you...

Great, thanks for the tips. I was using a flat pin punch and no heat. I will head to hardware store today and pickup a tapered one and give it another shot.

Good deal.

Also, if you have some wood blocks to support the gas block while leaving a gap for the pins to tap out, it will make all the difference. Otherwise, the energy necessary to push out the pins will be absorbed as the barrel vibrates/bounces around...

Great post fellers If there is anyone who Has a MMR free float hand guard I would love to have one Just P M Me Thanks DD P S did not want to Hijack The post DD

Just got a new MMR Hunter yesterday. Overall decent AR platform for the money. I was surprised when we opened the box at the dealer to see what I view as an inferior finish on the floating hand guard. I removed the hand guard today and it is on the way to the local powder coating shop. I'll load some before pixs now and the after pixs when I get the finished product. The hand guard tube was very easy to remove with a strap wrench from Lowe's and a cleaning vise.

Attachments

• MMMRHRS1.jpg
    MMMRHRS1.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 45
  • MMMRHRS2.jpg
    MMMRHRS2.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 42
Here is the before [FACTORY] and after [Local powder coat shop] hand guard finishes.

Attachments

• MMMRHRS1.jpg
    MMMRHRS1.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Handguard RS10.jpg
    Handguard RS10.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 43
Well, I am a year late for this thread but I may have some input to help the next guy. I am a newbie to the MMR platform.
I removed my hand guard and got lucky. I tried twisting on the hand guard but it would not budge. So I wrapped it up thick with bath towels and put it in the vice. Twisted the barrel nut and it spun right off. The hand guard has a slot/key at the top where the gas tube passes thru. Twisting the guard will damage the tube. So will putting it in a vice, I got lucky.

Can the nut be loosened and hand guard clocked? I want to rotate it a little to line up some of the slotted holes so I can add a short section of picatinny rail for a folding front sight. I normally keep a scope on the rearmost site but sometimes like to shoot with iron sights. That and the "boing" in the stock remind me of my army days 45 years ago. ( : < )

Yes.

The handguard is threaded onto the barrel nut. Once you remove it, you should be able to re-index the barrel nut with an armorer's wrench. You'll need to remove the gas tube first, then make sure to rotate it enough that you line up the holes in the barrel nut and the upper receiver to reinstall the gas tube...

Back