• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Review: UAG "Tactical" stock set, heat shield

I recently acquired a Mossberg 500 on which was mounted a new collapsible M4 type stock, along with a plastic forearm and shell holder. All are made by UAG.

http://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-Gauge-Ta ... B004Z2AVAI

Stock

The stock itself is very similar in appearance to the M4, and is of fair quality. Mold marks and flashing are minimal, and the buttpad is thick and malleable. On the con side, it does not allow the use of a regular M4 stock, as it is all made in one piece. Thus, one cannot remove the stock as you can with an M4. The stock is also fairly flimsy, and the tube seems like it would break under any stress other than normal range use.

Shell holder

The shell holder is positioned well, on the side of the stock, and is attached by screws. It is VERY flimsy, and I imagine it would break or fall apart, thus losing your extra ammo, with the slightest rough use.

Forearm

The forearm is terrible quality, with lots of excess flashing and sharp edges. It is very badly designed, and slippery to operate. The plastic is thin, and would not stand any rough use.

Heat shield

The only thing the heat shield has going for it is that it is made of metal. It has "ghost ring" sights attached to it, but it is only held onto the barrel by screws in the front, so any increase in accuracy engendered by the use of sights is negated because the rear sight moves freely. The sights are painted with some sort of greenish substance that may or may not glow in the dark.

Summary

Some companies have made the successful move into firearms accessories from airsoft. UAG is not one of these companies. These parts are flimsy, badly made, and I would not recommend them to anyone. I cannot imagine them standing up to any use other than storage in a closet. I would not trust them, and I plan to get rid of these parts as soon as possible.

Choate, ATI, Leapers, Magpul, Mesa, all of these companies have this junk beat by a country mile.

Thanks for the warning PSA Slade! :D but I understand what youre sayin.

Back