• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

rifle firing when racking a round

ecoman

Copper BB
Hi everyone,

I recently was target shooting when I racked the bolt forward to chamber a round, the rifle fired!!! Needless to say, I was really disturbed by this. I tried emailing Mossberg Cust. service on their site but received no response. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Thanks in advance

Ummm - not good. Has hard did you 'rack' the round and what condition is your firing pin in?

Might be something simple. Maybe the firing pin is stuck, or the bolt isnt assembled right (spring in the wrong place or something). If it was me, and the gun was otherwise functional, I'd look into it myself.

But thats also why I have a "I void warranties" sticker on my toolbox at work.
:lol:

I wouldn't waist your time waiting on an e-mail response.

Even before all this craziness happened Mossberg was never good at returning emails from their site. Your best bet is to call Mossberg Customer Service directly...

(800) 363-3555

Alert them to your issue and they'll have you send your rifle in for inspection and repair. Could be the firing pin and spring but there are other issues that could cause an unintended discharge, likely related to head-spacing issues or an out of spec trigger sear. Whatever the cause, Mossberg is not going to want this rifle out there with this kind of safety hazard and it should be up to their service center to diagnose and resolve the issue. Make sure they send you an RMA label so you don't have to pay for shipping. Keep us posted...

thanks for the quick replies. As to the speed of racking the bolt. You should be able to rack the bolt fast or slow depending on your situation. I forgot to mention, the rifle barely has 125 rounds through it, so I know it's not a worn part. It could be a defective part. Old Mossy and Lazy Eyed Sniper, I think I'll take your advice and try to contact Mossberg through the contact info you posted. I was just curious if anyone else encountered this problem, as it could be a very serious one.

Thanks Again

No problem,

My best guess is that it's a head-spacing issue. An improperly fitted bolt or chamber could cause abnormal pressure on the cartridge rim during lock-up and ignite the primer. Let us know how it goes with Mossberg...

Back