• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RIFLE: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Holographic/Red Dot Sights for your rifle? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

I've had my 'Limited Edition' OPMOD (Optics Planet MODification) EXPS2-0 for a while now. I'm still not sure what Optics Planet changed other than adding their name to the side if the housing, but I couldn't ask for a better holographic red dot sight.

Here a couple pics of mine before mounting...

... and mounted on its host, my Spike's carbine...

The 7mm raised based allows for a perfect lower 1/3 co-witness with my BUIS and the 1 MOA dot is exceptionally clear. It makes a huge difference down range when the dot is only covering the bull instead of the entire target like larger 3 or 4 MOA dots. With no magnification, the EXPS2 exceeds all my expectations and allows me to put up groups that rival those made with my 3x power scopes.

I put 30 rounds of 55 gr. Federal XM193 into this target at 100yds...

I normally prefer less expensive options when it comes to optics, but for EOTech I make an exception. This EXPS2 is definitely worth the money. It's a great option for anyone looking to upgrade to a top notch holographic red dot sight.

My first EOtech was a model 512 I mounted on my Ps90...

I later added a 512 to my SCAR 16s as well...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Have any questions about Holographic/Red Dot Sights for your rifle? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

I am thinking about getting one when I get my SKS. I would say that I would have to have the receiver drilled and tapped and then install a picatinny rail to mount it on.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I've had my 'Limited Edition' OPMOD (Optics Planet MODification) EXPS2-0 for a while now. I'm still not sure what Optics Planet changed other than adding their name to the side if the housing, but I couldn't ask for a better holographic red dot sight.

Here a couple pics of mine before mounting...

... and mounted on its host, my Spike's carbine...

The 7mm raised based allows for a perfect lower 1/3 co-witness with my BUIS and the 1 MOA dot is exceptionally clear. It makes a huge difference down range when the dot is only covering the bull instead of the entire target like larger 3 or 4 MOA dots. With no magnification, the EXPS2 exceeds all my expectations and allows me to put up groups that rival those made with my 3x power scopes.

I put 30 rounds of 55 gr. Federal XM193 into this target at 100yds...

I normally prefer less expensive options when it comes to optics, but for EOTech I make an exception. This EXPS2 is definitely worth the money. It's a great option for anyone looking to upgrade to a top notch holographic red dot sight.

How much do these run roughly?

tnxdshooter said:
I am thinking about getting one when I get my SKS. I would say that I would have to have the receiver drilled and tapped and then install a picatinny rail to mount it on.

Norinco makes an SKS 'Sniper' model that comes with with a raised scope rail installed on the rear of the receiver. My LGS has a Yugoslavian SKS 'Sniper' model in stock and I think it's going for under $400.

A little history lesson. This is probably going to show my age, but here it goes anyway.

Wish they still carried them, but many years ago, Bushnell had an AA Holosight version of the Eotech 512. Most internet folks usually tell me I'm crazy or must be mistaken because they've never seen or heard of one theirself, but it's most likely of the fact that when this was being sold, a lot of the internet commando's were still playing with their lego's in their underwear in their bedroom at the time.

But here ya go. I still have the box that it came in too, although it's in my shop at the moment and I don't have a picture of it, but here is a picture of the AA holosight itself.

multipistolcaseinteriorview.jpg

Of course, they were made by Eotech and the only difference was the holosight didn't have the lens shroud. Otherwise, they were exactly the same.

Even Eotech was calling it the model 503 at the time.

Later, Eotech was noticing that they were losing sales of their AA version and negotiated using the newer, smaller, more compact N cell battery type for the Holosight instead.

Most folks didn't care for the N cell batteries as much because they have a shorter life span and are harder to find than AA's which helped fuel actual Eotech 512 sales.

Now, Bushnell does not sell the eotech/holosight models at all, and won't even service them.

Not even the newer N models

widowmakerinstalled004-1.jpg

I recently called Bushnell to see if they would check my N cell holosight because it drains batteries, even when it is turned off, and they told me best case scenario, they would give me a 40% coupon for another product because they are no longer warranteed, or carried them.

Bummer how things turned out that way sometimes.

I wish I could find a few of my really old pictures of the original Eotech bodies. They're a lot different than the ones we're used to seeing. They used to look more like a Cmore railway than an Eotech.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
tnxdshooter said:

Norinco makes an SKS 'Sniper' model that comes with with a raised scope rail installed on the rear of the receiver. My LGS has a Yugoslavian SKS 'Sniper' model in stock and I think it's going for under $400.

Naw on both counts that isnt the direction i am going.

I have heard very little about it.

But knowing that it takes CR123 batteries, is a turn off for me because they're so much harder for me to find locally (especially compared to an AA optic), and the CR123 batteries are more expensive and when they reach the end of their service life, they don't just "fizzle out" over a short period of time, but die rather quickly (like within a minute--at least that's how they do in my tac lights that use those type of batteries.)

The circle/dot Eotech style reticle is also much smaller than Eotech's 65 moa outer ring. And the reticles are the same as the el-cheapo BEC and BSA reflex and even the Bushnell Trophy has more reticle choices to choose from.

I dont have it yet, but I should be ordering my OA AR15 in about a week!

I'll be putting some sort of flip up/back up sights on it, but I'm taking the Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32 MP RedDot off my 500 Persuader and will be using it with my rifle. The sight plane is too high for my preference to use with the recoil of full power 12 ga. loads.

It holds zero just fine and adjusts to 1/4 MOA or 4 clicks per 1" at 100 yards. I used that formula to zero my Persuader at 25 yards with full power slugs and was shooting 3 inch groups at 50 yards with no further adjustment. No that isnt the nice desirable cloverleaf pattern I'd rather see, but as Oli would say, its combat accurate enough to be deadly and thats still every shot in the kill zone on game.

So its gonna be a rifle sight in the near future, K? :D

196072_1681733158250_1085205913_31462066_6561175_n.jpg

197526_1682927068097_1085205913_31463285_7589702_n.jpg

62450_1457623075638_1085205913_31080805_7038148_n.jpg

That booger should make a great sight for your AR. Lookin forward to pics of your OA once you get it in your hands!

You'll all know as soon as I have it! It wil be like making a PSA but with out the weird tones on the radio and tv, and no air raid sirens.

Oh! I need to add, the accuracy I mentioned, 3" groups at 50 yards... thats no fault of the sight, thats just my shooting! ;)

Alrighty folks! You've all likely already seen the OA I got yesterday and the pics I posted in the workbench section of the "Firearms" sub-forum, but I want to add it here too for other users lookin for info.

100_6355Small.jpg

Thats the same Bushnell I posted above but with some paint. Its gonna live on my rifle now unless I wanna get a real scope someday. I like a couple of the smaller fixed power Luepys, but have looked at RedFields too. Another topic for another day...

Anyhow, this set up will co-witness (true co-witness) excellently with the AR's A2 styled front post.

Its held up to shotgun recoil so we'll see how it goes when we make it to the range and I'll post more about it then!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Love that paint job Brad! Nice work...

Thanks man!

Just a psa... if youre gonna do the paint the way I did, real impatient like, the scuffing I did on it knocked off the "fuzz" that made it a flat finish.

Just a quick update;

The Bushnell has done well for me and meets my needs. No problems adjusting the sight to the A2 post and holding zero switching reticles. As expected, recoil is a non issue as its lived through full power 12 ga. loads.

If I had to complain about it...

Its a 3 MOA "T" reticle. To me, its a little big at longer ranges and I'm almost better off with just the irons. Closer, like 50 yards or less I dont have a problem with it.

I have been looking for a good, quality magnified sight, micro red dot sight combo for my M400. I found these and was wanting some opinions.
Burris AR332 3X with Mil-dot reticle.
BiTvmngB2kKGrHqEH-EEEsL4sNOvBLORKMWZEQ_1.jpg

I can mount the Burris Fastfire III directly to it for shorter ranges.
BurrisFastfireIII.jpg

Burris also sells a anti-reflective device and a QD mount for the scope as well. I would have about $700 in the whole setup with all 4 pieces.
I like Burris alot. I have a 3X scope on my deer shotgun that is 30 years old. Other than fogging up because the nitrogen has leaked out over the years, it is a crisp and holds a zero as well as it did 30 years ago. I cannot say that about any other scope that I own. :)

Wow, that looks like a sweet set-up.

Have you read any reviews? My only question would be how large is the reticle dot on that AR-332 and would it be effective at distances past 100yds. It looks a little large in the photos and could end up covering your entire target making more precision shot placement difficult. For the price you'd be spending there are other options out there with 1MOA dots that will extend your effective range.

Back