• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: which one should i get?

hyI0P.jpg

Re: which one should i get?

I need one of those drums next!!!

Savage 10 Precision Carbine

Hey everyone. I've been feeling like buying a nice little .223 bolt action for target/varmint rifle.

I've been debating between a Remington 700 sps tactical or varmint, and the 10 PC.

I already have a 700 in .308, and am tempted to stick with the 700 action that I know and love.

But I do love the accutrigger... And have heard of some 1/2 moa accuracy from the 10pc...

Opinions?

Re: Savage 10 Precision Carbine

Don't have any experience with the Savage, but I've put up plenty of sub-MOA results with my .223 Remy 700 SPS Tactical. I love the 20" barrel vs. the varmint model and don't really see any benefit of the extra length. I've owned a 700 varmint model too and am actually far more consistent on target with the shorter 20" barrel on my SPS Tactical.

Is there any difference in twist rate on the two models? I also prefer the 20" barrel.

I plan on having my .308 700P shortened to 20"
After seeing the article on the tac ops 700 shooting a 2" group at 700 yards with a 20" barrel, the extra 6" is just there to lug around.

The only reason I may keep it at 26" is if I start making some hot handloads (3000+ fps, 155gr) and need the length for a complete burn.

But back to topic,
I'm going to hold them both tomorrow, see what tickles my fancy.

Turns out the SPS varmint is a 1 in 12 twist. Poopy.

The SPS tactical is a 1:9, same as the savage

Re: Savage 10 Precision Carbine

Yes Sir,

The shorter trist is great for being able to shoot a variety of different bullet weights. Keep us posted on which way you end up goin...

Put the 10 PC on layaway today :) I'll be going to pay the balance in a few weeks.

Just felt like seeing how the savage shoots since I already have a 700, and I love my savage .17hmr. The accutrigger is beautiful.

Which rifle(s) might fill a possible HD void?

IF semi auto, magazine fed rifles were to be outlawed, which rifle (or rifles) do you think would then become the popular choice for home defenders who prefer rifles? I could be mistaken, but I think a good percentage of AR style rifles were chosen for their home defense capabilities, and home defense is a huge part of overall gun popularity.

Exclude the ARs that have been hoarded, exclude shotguns, and exclude handguns. I'm curious as to which rifles do you think would then jump up in sales and popularity?

Personally, I'm thinking pistol caliber carbines, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, right now. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Re: Which rifle(s) might fill a possible HD void?

I'm banking on a bolt action in .223/5.56 Nato.
I figure that way I can use the stash I already have, without adding additional calibers to the mix.

how about a .40 cal pump,,,26"

Attachments

• 44 40.jpg
    44 40.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 554

I would go with the 30/30 lever action tactical, more specifically the Mossberg Model 464 SPX Lever Action Rifle Lever Action 30-30.

since capacity is out the window I would just rather have a pistol in HD then a pistol caliber carbine with equal capacity

I know people down here in Alabama that swear by deer rifles for everything. The same way that i prefer pistol grip and collapsible buttstock due to 9 years in the ARMY (it's more natural of a feel for me and muscle memory kicks in) they have grown up hunting their entire lives with .270's and 30-06's and are just as quick at target acquisition as i am with my AR.

I would think pistol caliber carbines, lever action guns, or if the Rossi Circuit Judge survives, that could be a contender.

I would go with the Lever Action .357/.38spc that Marlin Made! :p I hope the rumors are true that they are bringing it back out!!

18" barrel lever action in a great caliber for that model!! Other than that either something like the MVP or a 30-30

Back