• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: AR10 or M1A / M14

My two cents.......AR-10.

As weapons plarforms continue to evolve and change, the AR is easily the most upgradeable of the three systems. Second to that would be the M14, an exceptional weapon in its own right. The M1A is a tried and true classic, but my tastes lean toward full customization and the M1A is a weapon best left in its pure form.

It really boils down to the intended use for the weapon and your budget. Apples to apples, the AR-10 is arguably also the most affordable of the three platforms as compared to an equally equipped say M14 EBR or even a new base model M1A.

When considering the availability of parts, upgrades, price, and an intended use as a range or general purpose/defense rifle in my opinion the AR-10 is the best choice of the three.

...but that's just me...

For me,

I want an M1A and an AR. An AR for the reasons Lazy mentioned. Customizable. Thwe M1Akinda for the reasons Lazy mentioned! Classic as is and in lovely calibers too, like 30.06! It may not be a CQB rifle, but I dont plan to get into and CQB situations anytime soon.

I'd like to have a builder and another to leave alone.

I recently picked up an AR10 made by Armalite and so far it's a beauty. I have a SOCOM 16 as well and I love her too. LAZY nailed all my pros and cons pretty well and in the end if it was only one rifle or the other I'd take the AR10.

The AR10 came as a flat top so adding a scope was no problem, adding a foregrip, no problem.

I would have to agree with LAZY. The AR platform is one of the most adaptable platform out there, and with the most vendors for aftermarket modifications and improvements - compared to any other platform. I have a couple in .308, a DPMS and a Rock River. Either will easily do sub MOA off a rest. You can easily change out parts to suit your needs, including pulling two pins and changing your complete upper assembly to go from CQB to long distance barrel assemblies. Try that with any other platform. ;)

I also have an M1A and again I agree, those are best left as is, because they have that classic line about them. It too will shoot sub MOA off a rest, and will give either of the AR's a challenge at long range accuracy (normally beating them) ;)

So it does come down to what you will be using it for and what your needs are. If it is something that you'll want to tinker with and modify, definitely the AR's.

If it is something that you want for looks, nostalgia, history, and to pass down to the family, either would do, but I would probably rather get handed an M1A. But then again, I'm a bit older than today's next generation :lol:

Easy solution...one of each ;)

mister_e said:
I would have to agree with LAZY. The AR platform is one of the most adaptable platform out there, and with the most vendors for aftermarket modifications and improvements - compared to any other platform. I have a couple in .308, a DPMS and a Rock River. Either will easily do sub MOA off a rest. You can easily change out parts to suit your needs, including pulling two pins and changing your complete upper assembly to go from CQB to long distance barrel assemblies. Try that with any other platform. ;)

I also have an M1A and again I agree, those are best left as is, because they have that classic line about them. It too will shoot sub MOA off a rest, and will give either of the AR's a challenge at long range accuracy (normally beating them) ;)

So it does come down to what you will be using it for and what your needs are. If it is something that you'll want to tinker with and modify, definitely the AR's.

If it is something that you want for looks, nostalgia, history, and to pass down to the family, either would do, but I would probably rather get handed an M1A. But then again, I'm a bit older than today's next generation :lol:

Easy solution...one of each ;)
The thing is I have always the afinity to M14 carbines because of the history of the Pacific Theather ( I'm of Filipino Decent) where a lot of these were left behind by a lot of the GI's that serviced tours in Philippines... My grandfather learn to shoot with an M1 Garand and he taught me to shoot with a M14.

I've shot a M1A which is basically the newer version of the M14... I've really like that the M1A has the capability of reaching out and touching someone and have the heavier caliber. I've also shot a AR15 and older M16's ( the older ones from the Vietnam era which also found its way to the Philippines) and it just didn't feel right. Felt too light and cheap.

The newer AR15's are probably light years from the ones I've shot but I just don't like the smaller caliber round vs the .308

Ultimately I want it to have a balance of being a long and mid range riffle. CQB should be covered by my Mossberg 930 spx and H&K USP 45...

RippSpeed said:
The thing is I have always the afinity to M14 carbines because of the history of the Pacific Theather ( I'm of Filipino Decent) where a lot of these were left behind by a lot of the GI's that serviced tours in Philippines... My grandfather learn to shoot with an M1 Garand and he taught me to shoot with a M14.

I've shot a M1A which is basically the newer version of the M14... I've really like that the M1A has the capability of reaching out and touching someone and have the heavier caliber. I've also shot a AR15 and older M16's ( the older ones from the Vietnam era which also found its way to the Philippines) and it just didn't feel right. Felt too light and cheap.

The newer AR15's are probably light years from the ones I've shot but I just don't like the smaller caliber round vs the .308

Ultimately I want it to have a balance of being a long and mid range riffle. CQB should be covered by my Mossberg 930 spx and H&K USP 45...

Ah, but the AR10 is in .308, the same as the M1A or M14.

I understand where you are coming from, because I've always been fond of the older guns, too. While I don't have a true M14, I do have an M1A, a Garand, and a M1 carbine. What's next is to find an affordable Thompson ;) I just missed out on a M3 'grease gun' in FULL Auto. But I don't think I would want to pay the Federal stamp to own it. But it would be fun.

So did you grow up in the Philippines then? I only ask because I spent quite a few years there, Clark Air Force Base ;)

Also another consideration on the AR - you could always go with the AR15, and build or buy different upper assemblies, and convert it from .204 up to .500 caliber, all on the same lower. You could even use it for pistol calibers, 9mm, .40, and .45. There are calibers out there that will come very close to .308 performance, without the weight, such as 6.8 SPC, at least out to 300yds. If you went with the AR10, you also have the ability to go to long action calibers such as 6.5 Creedmore or 260 REM, besides the .308. But also note that some of those calibers are very harsh on barrel life.

And like someone else has already pointed out, you can also do this at a lower cost than an M1A or M14.

But, you would not have the style or looks of a 'classic'. Unless of course you consider the over 40yr old AR platform to be a 'classic' ;)

Considering my first rifle.

Ok, Ima nOOB in a lot of ways. I've put aside the idea of building an AR for now, but I still want a rifle.

Just a snapshot of my nOObishness;
I was looking at M1A's and only just realized theyre chambered .308, I sincerely thought they were 30.06!

Heres what I'm lookin at;
Springfield M1A, cant afford
Savage chambered .308, dont know that I can afford
Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD chambered .308, I can afford when ready and I really like the 20" barrel
Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action chambered 30.06, these I can afford but the shortest available barrel is 22" on a wood stock. My prefernce is for sythetic to better withstand rain and nasty weather.

This is another one of those posts where I appreciate any insight!!! I'm in no hurry so I wont be rushing out to grab up the first thing I see. I'm very patient and can wait to figure out exactly what I want!

Re: Considering my first rifle.

Those are cool, they remind me of the G3 family of HK firearms! Dave had one at one time.

I like em, but the only one close to what I may be able afford is the GI, very cool guns though!

I love my Remys!

Unless you need the threaded barrel on the Remy 700 AAC-SD, you should look into the 700 SPS Tactical. They too come in the 20" configuration and are available in both .308 and .223. The Tactical models are about $100 bucks cheaper than the AAC-SD...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I love my Remys!

Unless you need the threaded barrel on the Remy 700 AAC-SD, you should look into the 700 SPS Tactical. They too come in the 20" configuration and are available in both .308 and .223. The Tactical models are about $100 bucks cheaper than the AAC-SD...

Great point. You really cannot go wrong with a 700 in any configuration. :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I love my Remys!

Good thinkin! That may work...

I went to the Freinds of the NRA dinner 2 months ago and as usual they had all the dinner tables covered with different catalogs.
I brought a few home, and the one that I look at most is the Remington catalog. I drool over some of those 700's in there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zul98JT7hKE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lszqPBiq8A&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Hell I gotta get me one of these 700's!

Rossignol said:
I was looking at M1A's and only just realized theyre chambered .308, I sincerely thought they were 30.06!

You were close... the M1 (Garand) is chambered in 30.06, but the M1A has always been in .308.

I posted this in the Rifle Range Results thread, but it at also has bearing on the current conversation. This is from today's range trip with the 700 AAC-SD...

Put 23 rounds of 168gr Federal Premium Gold Medal Match into the target below with groups ranging from .35MOA (top left) to .65 MOA (bottom right). The four shot group in the bottom left measured in at a hair under .5 MOA. Got down to the last round and I couldn't resist pluggin the barcode...

Like LTB45 said, you can't go wrong with a Remy 700! In my humble opinion they are the best all around rifles for the $$$ with tons of aftermarket parts, accessories, and upgrades available.

What do you intend to do with the rifle? I have a couple Savages. They offer a lot of value for the money.

I myself am thinking about my first rifle... I am looking at the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. I think this rifle has great potential for an all around weapon!

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

RugerScout.jpg

I hunted with a 308 and they are great. I always gravitate back to 30-06 though. 308 is great because it almost matches the 30-06 ballisticaly but with less recoil and a shorter throw on the bolt. Really can’t go wrong with either. I am a huge Ruger fan and love the M77 MKII. 30-06. Owned and hunted with .338,.300 win mag, 30-30, 308 , don’t know but I can shoot 30-06 as good as any round, I think its because I know the round so good I know where to hold for distance, wind, steep angle…just real comfortable with it. Got an elk at 400 yards so I really don’t need much more than that I guess….and I think 30-06 shells can be found under most rocks around here.

And Savages are solid rifles, don’t let low price and brand snobs tell you different. A buddy of mine just got their tac .338 Lapua and it’s a nice rifle and a good deal considering the price manufactures are wanting for the Lapua

oli700 said:
I hunted with a 308 and they are great. I always gravitate back to 30-06 though. 308 is great because it almost matches the 30-06 ballisticaly but with less recoil and a shorter throw on the bolt. Really can’t go wrong with either. I am a huge Ruger fan and love the M77 MKII. 30-06. Owned and hunted with .338,.300 win mag, 30-30, 308 , don’t know but I can shoot 30-06 as good as any round, I think its because I know the round so good I know where to hold for distance, wind, steep angle…just real comfortable with it. Got an elk at 400 yards so I really don’t need much more than that I guess….and I think 30-06 shells can be found under most rocks around here.

And Savages are solid rifles, don’t let low price and brand snobs tell you different. A buddy of mine just got their tac .338 Lapua and it’s a nice rifle and a good deal considering the price manufactures are wanting for the Lapua

+1 on the Savage. For the money, they are hard to beat. Bought my son a Model 16FHSS (stainless steel) .308 with Accu-trigger and the Synthetic Accu-stock, 22" barrel. Ok, so it's not the best stock out there, but sure beats the regular noodle-flimsy standard stock. We put a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 scope on it, and right out of the box that thing shoots sub-moa. ;) Rifle was $574, and sale priced at $40 off. Bought that scope last year from Midway, was on sale for $169. Had an extra set of rings, so he is all set.

I like that new Ruger, too. But for the money, that Savage is a great buy.

No, it doesn't have the range or knock down of my .338 Lapua mag, but it didn't cost anywhere near as much either, or anywhere close to as much to shoot.

Back