• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rookie Press Operator Prepares to Blow Things Up

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
My lovely wife bought me this inexpensive shotshell press for Christmas, and I set it up yesterday.

This is the venerable Lee Load-all 2 in 12 gauge.
VZM.IMG_20161225_133131.jpg

I sized this, D-primed it, put the old primer back in, and ran it through the crimper. No load in it.

20161225_134753.jpg
First successful crimp.

I hit it very light because there's no wad, shot or powder in this one.

I just stuffed a paper napkin in the hull so it wouldn't collapse.

I have to admit that while this thing works and it was inexpensive, it feels like a toy in operation and it creaks annoyingly. I was also annoyed that the local gun shop overcharged my wife a bit for it. She paid 85 plus tax ~ 6.80 so about $92.

Last edited:
I went to Clovis Rod and Gun today & I picked up a 25lb bag of reclaimed birdshot, 250 white AA wads, a bottle of Hodgson Clays powder, and both Winchester and Federal primers.

Now we'll see if I can actually make some good shells to go shootin' in 2 days.

I couldn't get the 16ga adaptors for the Lee press locally, so I'll only have 12ga loaded. Also I still want a good scale before I get serious.

They also had some steel shot (which I did not buy) but the lead shot situation is getting very bad here, and they didn't sell any new lead shot at all.

Too expensive, they told me, & nobody was buying it.

Well I've managed to successfully load 3 dozen shot shells on the new press. Successfully doesn't mean I've test fired them though. Just that they went through & crimped up well.

I will get to shoot them tomorrow or wednesday.

The hulls were Winchester Super-x or Milbuck, and I used Winchester AA white wads & 209 primers. Shot was 1.125 oz reclaimed #7.5 and #8 mixed lead shot from JR Shot.

Powder is Hodgdon Clays 18.3gr, but I did not weigh any loads. I trusted the Lee data. Hodgdon specs 18.2 for 1200 fps on the bottle with AA or AAHS hulls.

I also did one each in a Federal Premium, hull and a low brass Remington. I used the same load as the Winchester. I don't like the way the Remington resized at all, and I expect I will toss the rest of those.

According to the Hodgdon data the Federal will be a little soft compared to the Winchester, but the Remington should be right on.

On paper.

In reality, I don't think I want to reload these low brass Remington shells even once.

Looks good. I loaded many many many 1000's of rounds through my LoadAll. It has some quirks but one of the best inexpensive presses you can get IMHO.

My exp though is with a 20 somesthing year old model, I hope that are still as good

If you are going to toss the Remington hulls, I'll claim dibs. They are my favorite hull to reload.

The two Remington's came out fine, so I guess I'll do the rest.

I got out to shoot today, and I ended up taking six weapons, starting with the .357 and .45 pistols then the .22, .223, and .357 rifles, and finally the 12Ga shotgun.

I shot my first 50 reloads and then some.

I had spent a lot of time last night weighing all the reloads and weighing new ones, and comparing everything to see what the overall variations were from round to round.

I was a little depressed when I saw the variation in my weights, & I figured most of the variation was in lead. So when I started weighing shot drops I realized this was true. I also learned to improve my technique (in other words how much you jiggle the press and in which way) and get more consistent weights.

Amazingly, I only had a few funny crimps, and only 1 load that was disturbingly heavy and one that was disturbingly light. Disturbing that is until I started remembering that one grain is only about 0.002 oz. And until I weighed the factory loads and realized how much they varied as well!

I decided that 36 grains variation over the lot was pretty good, considering that if I threw out the lightest and heaviest of the shells that the variation suddenly became only 19 grains.

I weighed the factory ammo of different brands and sizes and types for variation and what I found is that 12 gauge shotshells would vary anywhere from 12.3 to 32.6 grains over the sample quantities which I had. In total I weighed nearly 200 shells.

Anyhow those loads all shot fine, there were no major variations in Kick from the gun or pattern on the paper, and I got to pattern several loads on paper with great results.

Because I was using mixed reclaimed skeet shot, I got some large patterns (but still with good centers.) Unfortunately I was having so much fun I shot that snot out of everything before I bothered to take any photographs.

I disassembled one of the 50 rounds for forensic purposes, but the other 49 shot without a single misfire, hangfire, or squib, and they all seemed to be, if anything, more consistent than factory loads.

I managed to pick up all my empties plus another 50 empty hulls at the range ,and I also bought some brand new #4 lead shot.

Right now there's a great buying panic in California and when I went to Sportsman's Warehouse I found no 9mm Luger bullets whatsoever left ! (and lots of other items were in short supply & they had jacked up the prices.)

$150 for 8 pounds of powder & $42 for 25# new shot. There was no Buckshot whatsoever to be had, and no bb shot or number 2 shot either.

Everybody is spending their Christmas money and they're spending it fast because they know that on January 1st the price of all this stuff is going to go up along with the new law changes.

Plus there will be fees and background checks for anyone who wants to buy ammo.

Last edited:
By the way some brands of shells I managed to reload to a max variation of only 12 grains across 10 shells.

Also when I weighed representative powder loads I found that they were typically one grain heavier then what the bushing was supposed to supply.

I did not notice these rounds being stronger than normal from having 19.3 grains of powder vs 18.3 grains of powder. (Hodgdon Clays.)

Last edited:
That's a good price for the powder. Seems every 8 pounder I find around here has the hazmat fee added on. And then some. I've not priced shotgun/pistol powder per say. But most other 8 pounders hang around the 200 mark.

This is a very popular powder so it was less expensive but various pistol and rifle powders go for $200 a keg.

Since I bought number 4 shot and did not change the bushing I am only dropping 1 1/16 ounce now but that's okay with me. It's offsets the slightly increased cost of the new vs. reclaimed shot.

I worked it all out and first off the first pound of powder I bought was only 14 ounces, so powder costs on my first rounds were $0.02 more per shell than I thought.

Overall, the first 50 I loaded (using my once-shot free hulls) cost 26.8 cents. I have since reloaded nearly all of those a second time

I have calculated that the bulk materials I bought will yield shells for 19.7 cents, plus the hulls.

Lucky me, I picked up 50 free once-fired Winchester skeet hulls yesterday plus I decided it was okay to load the rest of those Remington's, so I now have approximately 225 finished, with only one total reject and another 25 to load.

I'm freaking out a little bit about the 9 millimeter situation though

I'm freaking out a little bit about the 9 millimeter situation though

what situation?

Can you receive bullets ordered from outside kali?

I don't mean ammo, I mean components?

I checked my reciepts and I actually paid $159.99 +tax for the keg, so about $173, but no seperate hazmat fee.

That bumps my loads up to almost 20.5 cents.

BUT, I wanted to load some buck shot, and can't find any locally. I'll have to order it and pay the shipping myself.

what situation?

Can you receive bullets ordered from outside kali?

I don't mean ammo, I mean components?

I don't know what the law is about shipping lead in and out of the state. I just meant that the shelves were picked clean of Luger rounds. No .22 or WMR, and almost no .357.

I didn't look for bulllets alone.

Last edited:
^ Agreed.

Reminds me about a story about Pandora's box. Once it's opened, it's open.

Well the good news is that I'm going to be retired in a few months and except children and grandchildren and an aging mother there's nothing to keep me here.

My 86 year old mother wants to move back to Kentucky. Theoretically, in May, I could take her and go. Of course my wife would have to agree.

Also I have to come to grips with the change in climate. The social climate I could deal with ;)

Well because of the shortage of 9 millimeter ammo I decided to order some from Midway , in Dec, and I also ordered a Lee carbide die set to reload 9 millimeter. My buddy has a Lee press that he's not using, so we'll be in the 9mm biz soon.

Since I want to load 16 gauge shotshells as well I bought several boxes of shotshells and a 16 gauge Lee Loadall 2 shell press. I could have spent twenty bucks for the changeover Parts but I got this one on sale for half the price my wife paid for the 12ga model.

I've been running the 12 gauge shotshell press for about 300 rounds now, and I just started running the new rifle/pistol press. This AM I've been puttering around my garage, setting up the new 16ga shotshell press.

I liked the 12 gauge Load-all well enough to buy another one rather than just a conversion kit. As it turns out the whole press was on sale for just $30 more than the conversion kit.

This is the Lee load-all 16 gauge
20170111_082815.jpg

First, I took it all apart and tuned it up. Their manufacturing is not exactly Rolls Royce class. I debured the tube, lubed the slides, installed a missing screw, and mounted it on a board which bolts directly to my workbench.

The factory screwed this one up a little bit but it's working fine now. They left off the screw which holds the column to the base. Maybe on purpose and maybe they figure the burrs on the bottom of the tube are good enough to retain it in the plastic base once pressed in.

And they are almost right. I pulled it right out by hand.

Anyway I put that screw in, same as the 12 gauge press had from the factory.

Also I put a tube steel brace on the back, the same as I did on the 12 gauge.

When the cover plate was installed at the factory, over the charge bar, they were pretty sloppy and they managed to distort the plate and put a screw in crooked. Anyhow I straightened that out as well. Here you can see the gap that was between the cover and the charge bar.
20170111_080724.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for my 16 gauge wads to arrive from Midway, and I can turn my box of empties back into ammunition. I need to find a good recipe for the 16 gauge shells and set up the charge bar.

I also picked up this 4 die Lee carbide set, on sale at Midway.
20170111_083528.jpg
I did buy some Varget Powder but I'll also need to get something for the Lugers.

A shot of the devil's own workshop.
20170111_095550.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Nitesite.

The guys at work are trying to convince me to stay on and do one more big project.
There is no way, but they just don't seem to get it.
I told them one year ago, that I would retire Feb 15, but they still haven't hired anyone to take over my desk.
Now there's one month to go, and they're screwed, and talking about how they will have to pay penalties if they can't get done on schedule.

Ten years ago they should have made me a partner in the firm. I might feel different now.
A year ago they should have started looking. they didn't.
As it is, I'm doing short time and nobody's going to change that now.
They could double my salary and I wouldn't care.

:thumbsdown:

Back