• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Russian oil...

The BC gov't just threw us a whopping $110 rebate due to high gas prices. You can imagine the reception it got was pretty chilly. We are taxed to oblivion in this province...

DEC. 9, 2021 2:54 PM PT -- LA TIMES
SACRAMENTO —
California regulators voted on Thursday to ban the sale of new gas-powered leaf blowers and lawn mowers starting in 2024 and portable generators by 2028, the latest step in the state’s aggressive effort to reduce harmful pollutants and transition toward a carbon-free economy.​

----------------------------------------------
Here is my own selfish take on the ban legislation:

1. Don't ban mowers, etc. for the oil/pollution problems. Ban the damn things because they are so damn NOISY!

2. Don't ban portable gas powered generators. The are essential in the inevitable electric power outages in CA. Those are lifesavers.

DEC. 9, 2021 2:54 PM PT -- LA TIMES
SACRAMENTO —
California regulators voted on Thursday to ban the sale of new gas-powered leaf blowers and lawn mowers starting in 2024 and portable generators by 2028, the latest step in the state’s aggressive effort to reduce harmful pollutants and transition toward a carbon-free economy.​

----------------------------------------------
Here is my own selfish take on the ban legislation:

1. Don't ban mowers, etc. for the oil/pollution problems. Ban the damn things because they are so damn NOISY!

2. Don't ban portable gas powered generators. The are essential in the inevitable electric power outages in CA. Those are lifesavers.
I'd rather the state of Kalifornia not ban anything else at all, they've already done enough

I'd rather the state of Kalifornia not ban anything else at all, they've already done enough
Agreed. Far too much ban this and ban that these days...getting pretty sick of it all really. Especially when viable alternatives are not always available nor affordable.

The trouble is it's not usually you or I that decide but someone else that decides for us. Whether its Kanuckistan or Kommiefornia they're all cut from the same cloth.

In my own defense I have to say that I'm not opposed to environmentally friendly solutions, progress or innovation. As someone who enjoys being long distances from civilization, the idea of a hybrid gas or diesel & electric truck with a phenomenal range and towing power is something I can get behind. A fully electric truck is absolutely useless to me as the technology stands today and quite out of my price range. After 2035 apparently that's the plan...no more new gas powered cars or light trucks. Unless, there are major leaps forward in technology that is a total shite move and indeed one that will inhibit our ability to freely move about. How'd you like to have the goverment know your every move if they were to electrify our roads and highways??? Guaranteed any move to put in huge infrastructure like that would involve tracking and billing. Hey, cordless charging is already a thing so who knows in another 15-20 years?

How long could we hold out with our old polluters? Would they just shut them down one day? With our newer vehicles I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to send an electronic kill signal to the computer and shut it down.

Getting off topic here....Russian oil bad!! There, all better!

... How'd you like to have the goverment know your every move if they were to electrify our roads and highways???

I guess I'd ask "How DO you like to have the government...???" No "IF" about it since a long time ago.

Excerpt: :link: License Plate Recognition Metro Communications, Knoxville, Tennessee (metrocomm2way.com)

How LPR Works
Data Capture
Fixed and mobile license plate recognition (LPR) cameras take photos of license plates, capturing date, time and GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken- just like any smartphone camera.

LPR Data Storage
Each plate image captured, along with the data for that image (date, time, location), is stored in our Virginia database as an LPR record that can be searched only by authorized personnel.

Data Ownership
Your agency owns the LPR data it generates and you can decide whether you want to share that data with other agencies. And the more data available, the greater chance you have to develop a lead.

Commercial Data
Even without LPR cameras, you can benefit by using our Commercial Data. We are the only LPR provider that can offer over 5 billion nationwide detections and over 150 million more added monthly.

Law Enforcement Agency Sharing
We believe the power of LPR is in the data and analytics. In addition to access to our commercial data, agencies can choose to share with other law enforcement agencies to gain access to another 1.5B detections nationwide.

I guess I'd ask "How DO you like to have the government...???" No "IF" about it since a long time ago.

Excerpt: :link: License Plate Recognitio

We have readers here in Volusia Co., FL (Daytona). Not a week goes by without a stolen car being flagged and Sheriffs notified. A hi-speed chase usually ensues with property and vehicle damage and underage punks from Orlando bailing and running then getting chomped by the K-9 units... :)

I do NOT approve of such devices including red-light cameras. Orlando has pedestrian cameras all over the place with facial recognition software. We are PAST the point of Big Brother watching you... :(

Excerpt: :link: License Plate Recognition Metro Communications, Knoxville, Tennessee (metrocomm2way.com)

How LPR Works
Data Capture
Fixed and mobile license plate recognition (LPR) cameras take photos of license plates, capturing date, time and GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken- just like any smartphone camera.

LPR Data Storage
Each plate image captured, along with the data for that image (date, time, location), is stored in our Virginia database as an LPR record that can be searched only by authorized personnel.

Data Ownership
Your agency owns the LPR data it generates and you can decide whether you want to share that data with other agencies. And the more data available, the greater chance you have to develop a lead.

Commercial Data
Even without LPR cameras, you can benefit by using our Commercial Data. We are the only LPR provider that can offer over 5 billion nationwide detections and over 150 million more added monthly.

Law Enforcement Agency Sharing
We believe the power of LPR is in the data and analytics. In addition to access to our commercial data, agencies can choose to share with other law enforcement agencies to gain access to another 1.5B detections nationwide.
We have very little of that up here...thankfully. Only in a few select spots. In some respects, it is to our advantage that we have a large geographical area to cover and a relatively small population, which makes it more difficult to cover the costs on those type of unpopular infrastructure investments. In BC, photo radar was super unpopular...folks just despised it as a cash grab which of course it was. People would slow down, pass the radar then wind it back up...no deterrent at all. It didn't last that long and it was turfed anyway. There was a local businessman that had tremendous support from the community and sued the government over photo radar, he lost after a 5 year fight but is largely responsible for it being chucked out by the next incoming government.

They put in red-light cameras 20+ years ago, but they ended up getting rid of most of them because they had a series of lawsuits. The cameras did not always work well, and when they did they sometimes caught the wrong car.

We have readers here in Volusia Co., FL (Daytona). Not a week goes by without a stolen car being flagged and Sheriffs notified. A hi-speed chase usually ensues with property and vehicle damage and underage punks from Orlando bailing and running then getting chomped by the K-9 units... :)

I do NOT approve of such devices including red-light cameras. Orlando has pedestrian cameras all over the place with facial recognition software. We are PAST the point of Big Brother watching you... :(

The irony of it all to me is the same people that want to watch everyone with cameras are the same people that support no cash bail, defund police, and emptying the jails.

They put in red-light cameras 20+ years ago, but they ended up getting rid of most of them because they had a series of lawsuits. The cameras did not always work well, and when they did they sometimes caught the wrong car.

This is an OT rant... ;) I travel this road on my way home from the shop. I work late and it is often 1-2am or so. There is this one f****g light that is timed to turn red as you come up to it. :mad: I have found that if I approach doing about 55mph (limit is 45mph I think) I can pass through the yellow with plenty of time to spare. I don't think there is a camera there but there occasionally a cop sitting in the median. I'd hate to get pinched by a bored cop for going 5-10mph over... :( But the point is, IF I stop and wait for the light, I am getting 0mpg. How is this good for the environment?

This is an OT rant... ;) I travel this road on my way home from the shop. I work late and it is often 1-2am or so. There is this one f****g light that is timed to turn red as you come up to it. :mad: I have found that if I approach doing about 55mph (limit is 45mph I think) I can pass through the yellow with plenty of time to spare. I don't think there is a camera there but there occasionally a cop sitting in the median. I'd hate to get pinched by a bored cop for going 5-10mph over... :( But the point is, IF I stop and wait for the light, I am getting 0mpg. How is this good for the environment?
It's good for the environment because the ticket you get will go to support a liberal left-wing candidate who supports saving the environment

In criticism of certain books that were banned in the Texas schools, our governor will “read” some books “banned in Texas” to educate himself. (Get the Cliffs notes version fool. We’re not paying the governor to read novels!)

They showed on the public news one of the classic books that was long ago banned here in calif: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

I guess no one in his democrap administration realized the book was declared verbotten in California FIRST!!!

Back