• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rust in the chamber of my 590A1 *UPDATE WITH PICTURES*

LUGI

.270 WIN
PICTURES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm wondering what the hell is going on...got my 590a1 like 2 1/2 to 3 weeks ago. Noticed rust in the chamber of the damn barrel. Called mossberg and they sent me another barrel and the same frigging thing...is this common? Can anybody maybe take off their barrel and see if they see rust in the chamber.

My camera sucks so I can't get any good pictures, I'm calling them up tomorrow I'm pissed of.
Like I said...if you guys can take a look I'd appreciate it.

Re: Rust in the chamber of my 590A1

No rust on my 590 A1, anywhere. You 100% sure it's not preservative?

Preservative?, what does that look like...I'll tell ya what.......to me it looks like rust. It's nowhere else but the chamber area.

Have you tried running some cleaner oil over the area and see what it does? Does this look like surface rust or deep pitting? Try giving it a little swab and let us know.

The barrel that come with the gun has been sitting in CLP, also before I used some bore cleaner/brush, ran a patches in it soaked in clp also a mop it the barrel looks new except for the chamber area, and it hasn't change at all.

This isn't the first time I've had a mossberg shotgun or other guns....... and I NEVER seen this before. I'm pissed and gonna call today.

And the "NEW" barrel came the same damn way.

Does it look similar to this?
file.php

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Does it look similar to this?
file.php

Yup, but only worse...and on the other side near the chamber, it looks like a wet shell was sitting in it . :x

And I also noticed it has a chip in it also...and no it ain't lead buildup.

That picture is of another users new barrel and it ended up being a material Mossberg puts in there to protect the barrel. He had a gunsmith do a good cleaning and it came out. Maybe give it a good scrubing with a copper brush and see what you get. I know you said your camera isn't the best, but pictures would help a lot.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
That picture is of another users new barrel and it ended up being a material Mossberg puts in there to protect the barrell. He had a gunsmith do a good cleaning and it came out. Maybe five it a good scrubing with a copper brush and see what you get. I know you said your camera isn't the best, but pictures would help a lot.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

You can try a turbo steel brush but yeah I would get after Mossberg 1000% and make sure you get to someone that will inspect the replacement before shipping it. A picture tells alot.

MossLvR said:
You can try a turbo steel brush but yeah I would get after Mossberg 1000% and make sure you get to someone that will inspect the replacement before shipping it. A picture tells alot.

Yeah...and the other barrel they shipped was the same way...and this is after I told him to check it out before sending it out. And the guy I've been talking to is tech supervisor and he's acting like he can't believe it's rust.

I wonder what the hell is going on here.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Have you tried the copper brush yet? We just had this same issue with another user a few weeks back.

Nope...but the whole thing is...why the hell do I gotta do all that to a new gun? Damn thing cost me $507.00

I'm calling them again on tue.

My new 590A1 came the same way only not quite as much as CML but in the same area. At first I thought it was rust. However, after messing with it, it didn't seem like any rust I've seen before. The preservative angle makes sense. CML keep us updated please...

Will do...I sent back the barrel they sent me, and supposedly they are waiting for some more to come in...this is bullsh#t that I have to go through this. I did send him the pictures but haven't heard from him yet!

I'm still wondering about the FIRST picture, towards the top middle has a chip. wonder why.

A chip isn't good, that shouldn't be there....the surface rust, if thats what it is, looks minimal. Granted...It shouldn't be there either, buy the same token it doesn't look to be all that bad. If it's just a bit of surface rust, a good gunsmith could have it cleaned up and back to you in no time at all...10-15 minutes.

I dunno I actually have barrels that look worse! Then again they're not new...lol

Gunner said:
A chip isn't good, that shouldn't be there....the surface rust, if thats what it is, looks minimal. Granted...It shouldn't be there either, buy the same token it doesn't look to be all that bad. If it's just a bit of surface rust, a good gunsmith could have it cleaned up and back to you in no time at all...10-15 minutes.

I dunno I actually have barrels that look worse! Then again they're not new...lol

I ain't doing sh#t...I'll tell ya what, I'm getting pissed off. I still haven't heard nothing from them yet, and this is after I emailed them with the pictures, and the barrel I sent to them.

I ain't the one, this ain't over...they will take care of me.

Like Gunner, I too have worse lookin barrels right now... I'd be ashamed to post pics of them. And like Gunner they arent new barrels either.

I agree with the way you feel, you have bought a new product and it isnt unreasonable to expect for it to be in "like new" condition. That would or should mean, no rust and no weird lookin chips or rough spots at all and if youre dissatisfied, the right thing for them to do is make it right with you.

Man I hope OFM gets this stuff figured out.

Called today and got fed up waiting on hold for.......15 minutes, plus I was working. If nothing else I will call them on thursday when I'm off.

Back