• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 finally hit the range...

After thoroughly ignoring the SA-20 bantam I bought for my wife about 3 years ago, I finally took it to the range tonight. I picked up 5 different cheapo boxes of economy (<$6/box) 2 3/4” #8 shells at Wally World and grabbed a box of Rio buckshot off the shelf when I left the house. Started with blue box Federals - it didn’t like that stuff at all. Remington and Winchester econo loads ran completely problem free though. Then I put 5 rounds of “Upland Game” steel #7.5 shot listed at 1500 FPS down range totally smoking the clays. Stopped at 5 as I wasn’t sure if steel shot was ok for these things. Lastly, I tried the cheapest Federal end of the aisle special available which looked exactly like the shells that jammed, but that whole box ran problem free as well! Somewhere in the middle of this, I put 5 rds of the Rio through it. Ejection was only a couple feet away from the gun, but they all cycled just fine.

If this is the definition of a “finicky” gun, I’m not too disappointed, lol.

I replaced the front bead with a tritium option some time back, and day time visibility is wonderful, even if the actual tritium is weak. I’m not the best shot gunner by any stretch, but it was a confidence inspiring little gun on the trap line tonight. Pretty sure the little lady is going to like it a bit better than her bantam 20 ga. 500...

Thanks for the update. Reminds me I need to take the Thug out. Like you, I haven't really noticed any finicky-ness over ammo. And I have an extended tube.

After thoroughly ignoring the SA-20 bantam I bought for my wife about 3 years ago, I finally took it to the range tonight. I picked up 5 different cheapo boxes of economy (<$6/box) 2 3/4” #8 shells at Wally World and grabbed a box of Rio buckshot off the shelf when I left the house. Started with blue box Federals - it didn’t like that stuff at all. Remington and Winchester econo loads ran completely problem free though. Then I put 5 rounds of “Upland Game” steel #7.5 shot listed at 1500 FPS down range totally smoking the clays. Stopped at 5 as I wasn’t sure if steel shot was ok for these things. Lastly, I tried the cheapest Federal end of the aisle special available which looked exactly like the shells that jammed, but that whole box ran problem free as well! Somewhere in the middle of this, I put 5 rds of the Rio through it. Ejection was only a couple feet away from the gun, but they all cycled just fine.

If this is the definition of a “finicky” gun, I’m not too disappointed, lol.

I replaced the front bead with a tritium option some time back, and day time visibility is wonderful, even if the actual tritium is weak. I’m not the best shot gunner by any stretch, but it was a confidence inspiring little gun on the trap line tonight. Pretty sure the little lady is going to like it a bit better than her bantam 20 ga. 500...
show us your mossberg.

Back