• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 Piston Cleaning

Lefty9

.270 WIN
All righty then !
I did my research ,I read the owners manual, I searched YouTube........ but I can not find out how ( or if its even necessary ) to remove that ring on the gas piston .

Jerry Miculek go's into great detail on how to remove/clean the piston/rings on the Mossberg 930's .......... so whats up with little if any info on the poor SA-20 ?

deosn't anyone care ? I'm sitting here by my computer for hour after hour and no one responds ??

Sorry, very busy time of year. last few matches and Christmas.
I have never taken the piston ring off. I would not try it as it is a thick ring and will likely break or deform.
I clean it with the Remington shotgun spray cleaner and let it soak. I shoot the cleaner in the ring gap and turn the gap around the piston.
When really cruddy I will use shooters choice barrel cleaner and let it soak
I saw the JM 930 cleaning and it looks like that has multiple thin rings.
I'll check with Mossberg and report back.

Brian ,
no need to apologize - good things happen to those that wait ...........
If a good soaking is all it needs -thats good enough for me !

Since to render flawless functioning - my 930's need to have their pistons meticulously cleaned regularly , I thought the same would go for my SA-20's

My sa20 the gas piston is 3 pieces, the top and bottom screw together and ring then easily separates.

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_011430603.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220324_011430603.MP.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for that. I have tried several times to unscrew the pieces to no avail. I will try again. Did you need a tool? Left hand thread? Anything odd?
Mine might be too old now to come apart without tool marks.

Back