• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 Tactical Mods

Hi everyone,

I’d like to hear from those that have the Tactical version of the SA-20, especially those that have added the extended magazine tube- have you added a flashlight/pic mount, and if so, which one did you go with?

Are any of you using a red dot or some optic? Which ones?

Sling selection? Shell card? It seems difficult finding cards that fit 20ga.

Can’t help you at all regarding an SA20, but I have found in my short time here that very specific questions regarding a specific sub variant of a model get passed over quite frequently. The pic I looked at of the tactical showed a rail on the receiver. It could be as simple as nobody has put an extended tube to hold a light when that would have been the primary purpose of the rail ? And if that were the case, any of the light or sight threads for the 12g brothers would likely hold all the recommendations your wallet could stand. I hope that you find your answers to more personalize your 20. I tinker with my 12 now and then, but almost always from a DIY perspective. Like anything fun, there are always those who believe that no customization of any kind is warranted and the next guy just has to have lighted neon dice valve stem caps..good luck in your search.

I suspect if you do a search, you will find some sort of adapter suitable to clamp the light in place on the tube. Measure the OD of the tube and OD of the flashlight and go from there. This was just a quick search...

flashy.JPG

I suspect if you do a search, you will find some sort of adapter suitable to clamp the light in place on the tube. Measure the OD of the tube and OD of the flashlight and go from there. This was just a quick search...

View attachment 27224
The purpose of my query was to see what light mounts, if any, owners used on their SA20s Tacticals. Amazon, eBay, and others are literally loaded with possible options in all price range- I wanted to know which ones worked best before choosing one. I value the opinions of other users who have more experience than I do.

Unfortunately, the shotgun accessories market is dominated by 12ga compatible pieces, some of which might work and others that don’t. Take shotgun cards- there are a bunch in all price ranges, and some say “fits 12 and 20 gauge”, but in actuality they just fit 12ga- I bought one and the shells just pass through. Someone on this forum has posted about a brand that does fit 20ga- which was very helpful and those I have purchased.

I just purchased the “Hunters Specialties Butt Stock Cartridge Holder” off Amazon, and it fits both the SA20 buttstock and 20ga shells very well- I planned on including that on a post on how I’ve setup my shotgun, after I add the extended Choate mag tube and a light mount.

Last edited:
This is the only pic of mine I had handy. I just used a stretchy sleeve, it goes on from the receiver end, holds 5, it is claimed to be for "12/20ga". I don't generally keep shells in it, just use it as a "cushion" when aiming. 20s aren't held as tightly as 12s would be.

thug1.jpg

I just took a quick look at GG&G and they have some Mossy 20 ga accessories. I’ve always found there stuff to be high quality and does what it’s supposed to do. I only own 12 ga Mossberg’s so I can’t speak specifically to your model. As far as upgrading goes go slow and make sure your getting what you need not necessarily what you want.

If this is your shotgun you may want to see if you can incorporate that little length of pic rail onto the mag tube extension????
0019D55B-7C23-4504-B9B8-FD0C0D5B88FA.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s the SA-20 Tactical, what I have. When you go to the extended magazine tube, you lose the small pic rails- there are three. Right now, I’m looking at a metal connector that attaches to both the barrel and the extended mag tube that adds a pic rail to both sides of the gun. I’m only planning on adding the mag tube and a flashlight.

I started a thread a while ago about a receiver mounted Velcro side saddle. It was an Esstac product but was only available in 20 ga from SKD.
The thread was:
20 ga side saddle card
I have used it in 3 gun and tactical shotgun matches very often, with no issues.
Punctuation is important. Lol

Last edited:
Anyone? No one here has added a flashlight to their SA20 with the extended tube?
Tube yes but flashlight no.
Choate +4 gives me 9+1 for OOS matches only.
Choate +2 gives me 7+1 for everything else (NY legal but not NJ legal)
A small rail could be mounted on the Choate barrel/tube clamp with a longer bolt.

This is my newly completed setup- the SA-20 Tactical with the Choate 7-round magazine tube extension, CDM Gear 20ga BMT light mount, LED light with two-position pressure switch, and butt stock shell holder.

I’m going to add a sling- does anyone have any opinions about the slings w/ elastic shell holders?

Bobster- Thank you for the write up on the mag tube extension. It was very helpful.

Attachments

• AAA33754-D56C-480E-A223-B1845267285D.jpeg
    AAA33754-D56C-480E-A223-B1845267285D.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 18
Finally got to upload pics. The mods are more competition than tactical but still effective and fun.
This is a 20 inch tactical but I traded the pistol grip stock for a standard. (Didn't like the pistol grip)
Added extended Trulock IM choke, 7+1 and 9+1 mag tubes, match saver shell holder, 7 round side saddle, Taren tactical bolt release lever, (had to machine and tap) very fast with match saver, loading port has been substantially opened up and smoothed for loading deuces, (needs pic). decals are optional.
4321F8EF-72B9-439B-A5AC-42C19806BF37.jpeg A79B0792-7601-43C1-8806-F6986DC920F6.jpegCED3E938-5961-4CB6-8F9B-867CC9021C2E.jpeg

Remmy chokes, correct? My Thug has Benelli style and the pickings are slim especially for extended versions. I still have the super-tight extended turkey choke it came with.

Hey bobster, how have you been?
The barrel was a cylinder bore from the factory and I had Mike Orlen thread it. He had to thread for a Winchester choke because that was the only tool he had that would cut a chrome lined barrel.
Apparently the barrel is made in the same factory as Bennelli. Then he told me that the barrel was probably worth more than the whole rest of the gun. Lol

Then he told me that the barrel was probably worth more than the whole rest of the gun. Lol

I would debate that BUT... ;) Was this AFTER he threaded the barrel? :D

I'm doing well and hope you are the same. :) My SA-20 has been sitting in the garage while it is apparent yours is a daily driver... :D

I got your threading job confused with another member who had an 18 or 20 inch 12ga barrel threaded for Remmy-style chokes.

Pretty sure he was joking. Mine has been kind of resting too. Can't get 20 ga ammo at any reasonable price. I use 1 oz 7.5 1165 fps low brass and Winchester said they will not even be making any until next year some time.

Back