• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sad day for gun maker

Captrap

.22LR
I am sad the Remington is closing their doors ... Like most of us who collect firearms we all have a lot of different guns. I have a Remington 1100 skeet... I hope Mossberg stays strong...

Remington was put into debt and milked dry by an investment firm. They were greatly enriched by destroying a once great company. It looks like they are going to give the assets of the company to the creditors and skip away with their riches. It's the American business paradigm for 30 years now. Hopefully the creditors will either right the ship or sell out to someone that will. The Remington brand will be around for awhile yet.

I am sad the Remington is closing their doors ... Like most of us who collect firearms we all have a lot of different guns. I have a Remington 1100 skeet... I hope Mossberg stays strong...

The 1100 and 870 were the two best sgotguns they have produced. And the quality of both bad deteriorated for years IMHO.

My dad had an 1100 magnum and that gun was both a work of art and a beast in the field. The only flaw in its design was the rubber o rings that would dry out. I have not looked for it but I think he may have sold it a while back.

I think my 870 will run forever. it smoothed out considerably after the first 10K rounds. LOL

My 11-87 broke the first time in the field and I sold it as soon as I got it back from the autherized repair facility.

It has been well published that they have asked for bankruptcy.

Though I am not seeing any mention of them closing.

@Captrap do you have any recent information that they are ceasing business as your post implies?

I doubt they close, as their creditors need them to continue production and continue sales.

Look at the deal Saf-T-Lok made when they bought from a British investment group a very troubled Smith&Wesson several years back. That company bought the whole company lock-stock-and-barrel for a stupid low price. (I could have put together enough investors to own S&W had I known it would sell that cheap) Safe-T-Lok added their patented and hated lock to the revolvers but the company has thrived since that near debacle.

This LINK is about the most un-biased account I have found so far but there are more complete stories (but biased) out there. In a nutshell, Model 700 trigger class-action lawsuit may have had something to do with the bankruptcy in addition to the Sandy Hook lawsuit which was thrown out but is under appeal in CT Supreme Court. They also blame the "Trump Slump" but I am going to assume the slump is over now...

Did they find out that the trigger problem where triggers that where worked on.

No the didn't, because it affected almost EVERY single 700 rifle since like 1985 or something. A change to the factory trigger design saved them less than one dollar per rifle and it bit them in the ass. There were FedEx trucks dropping off FedEx trailers full of 700s by the thousands. And the R51 debacle was a pretty expensive disaster also. But it was nothing compared to the recall on 700s.

It has been well published that they have asked for bankruptcy.

Though I am not seeing any mention of them closing.

@Captrap do you have any recent information that they are ceasing business as your post implies?
I saw it on the news and the details were sketchy....

This is ridiculous, that classic and iconic American companies are dropping like flies because our politicians are too stupid to recognize their value.

You cannot possibly realize how devastating this is to a technology until you have worked in the manufacturing industry.

There is knowledge that you can put "on paper" and there is knowledge that no one puts on paper. One can be preserved as long as people can still read the code. The other is passed down from mouth to ear, in the manner that the secrets of the master are passed down to the apprentice in every trade.

This is true for every business from nuclear engineering to septic tank cleaning.

Fortunately, this knowledge is routinely preserved by professionals and enthusiasts, like you guys.

:cheers:

So hoist a pint, and remember the Mighty Remingtons of yore.

The left and the UN won't be happy until all American gun companies are bankrupt. That goes for ammo makers as well.

Back