• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Saiga 308, conversion completed!!!

Picked this up last month. Been contemplating doing the conversion which moves the trigger forward and add a pistol grip. In the end the conversion is suppose to make a night and day difference in the trigger and balance..

Here she is.

I just ordered this conversion kit which requires pretty much rebuilding the entire gun but in the end suppose to be sweet.
http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com ... KIT/Detail

Re: Saiga 308

I look forward to seeing your Saiga 308 converted. I really want to build one of these soon!

I'll keep you posted, Dan.

Should have the kit next week and probably, depending on my schedule, do it next weekend.

Well, She is done. The fore grip was back ordered but that's no biggie, the hard part is done. This conversion is made to look relatively easy to do with videos on Carolinas web site and others on the Saiga forum. This was a bitch to do but I must say, if I did another one it would MUCH easier. The .308 is slightly different than the other Calibers on the bottom of the receiver which adds two very hard to break spot welds, can't go too crazy so I dremeled them and finished them off with a file.

It's just funny that once you remove the trigger guard and bottom plate (grind or drill two rivets and two spot welds) on the receiver you have a receiver ready to be the AK it was meant to be. Putting the trigger, bolt catch and spring together was my hardest task and the videos pretty much warn of that. The trigger feels excellent and the gun overall is much more comfortable. Still probably end up putting wood on this thing one day.

bangbang said:
looks great. this makes me want to do one now

Thanks bangbang, if you do decide to do one and have any questions I can help, I know these things inside out after this one. Not for the faint of heart I can assure you that much. Not easy putting out $500 on a gun then going at it with a drill, dremel, cold chisel and file. A vise is a must and also some good high heat spray paint, I used a textured rustoleum on it once I got the old parts ripped off it and clean it up with the dremel and file..

bangbang said:
thanks i will definitely keep that in mind

No problem.

I had to take it back apart tonight, the "Bolt hold open" lever spring came off. Carolina shooters video also warns of this and I should have put the slight bend the video mentioned on the spring last night. Only took me about 10 minutes to pull the hammer and trigger back out redo it. I was also warned by a member at survival forums that the same lever can become a pain in the ass while shooting and can be deleted I'm already seeing his point. I'll probably pull it apart again one day when I'm bored and dremel/grind down the bottom of the lever a bit to get it out of the way..

Back