• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Savage bolt action

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
So I have some questions.
Firstly, after a search, I didn't see a savage specific thread, if I missed it, let me know.

I haven't purchased a firearm in a couple or few years now, but I find myself in need of something with a little more reach. Realistically, I won't have need to make a shot beyond 200 yards. The Savage hog hunter has been on my short list for quite awhile now.

The biggest complaint I've seen on that rifle is the stock. It isn't the accu-stock and isn't bedded at all. However reviews have cited the rifle as being out of the box sub MOA as long as you aren't bearing down on the stock and that even with a bipod it should be ok. I looked at the model 10 precision carbine but they don't make it anymore and the next most like it is the model 10 FCP but its only available in .308 and is about $300 more than the hog hunter.

I guess my primary question is this;
For the relatively short range I'd use the rifle, am I placing too much emphasis on the stock?

Reviews have ranged from 1/2 to 3/4" MOA with the factory stock, one measured it at .55". I don't know that I can shoot as well as the rifle and if I becomes an issue, I could put a Hogue pillar bedded stock on it and still be less expensive than the FCP model.

At 200 yards or under, I don't think I'd worry about it much. If you buy one and you shoot it and the stock doesn't work out, check out Boyds stocks. They have a bunch of savage stocks for about a hundred bucks and they're really nice too.

I had heard a lot of negatives on the Savage MKII FV SR stocks being "flimsy" and I admit they kinda are, but after I got some time behind the gun, I found that I can do headshots on squirrels with it, so that's plenty accurate enough for this old boy.

Savage makes a really good and accurate rifle.

Haven't shot one, but I'd say the stock shouldn't be that big a deal.

As long as the receiver bolts are properly torqued it's shouldn't be an issue. It's a composite stock, so you won't have to deal with the stock shifting in different humidity or changing temperatures like you might with wood. Savage actions are some of the smoothest and best out there, so I'm with John. Even if you end up replacing the stock down the road at some point, you're still getting a helluva rifle for the price...

I have owned and built a number of Savage rifles. I love them. For what you are intending to do with it you will probably find the factory stock more than sufficient. If you find that the stock is a little on the flimsy side, there are a number of fixes you can do to stiffen the factory stock. However, for about a hundred bucks you can get a nice stock from Boyd's.

My concerns are satisfied then. I haven't checked out the Boyd's but because I'm more familiar with Hogue, I think I'd likely go that route, I've seen their stocks for about $100.

The only experience I have with Hogue has been on a 10/22. If the rest of their products look, fit and feel as good as the 10/22 stock you will not be disappointed.

The only experience I have with Hogue has been on a 10/22. If the rest of their products look, fit and feel as good as the 10/22 stock you will not be disappointed.

My only experience with Hogue is via their shotgun products and a couple 1911 grips, but from those alone I'm rather partial.

I talked to a rep the other day about adding a sling stud so as to use both a sling and bipod adapter. She said let them know where I want it located and they'd install it there in the shop.

I had a box stock Savage Axis shooting near cloverleafs with handloaded v-max. with an old cheap scope. for a moderate range like 200 you should be fine. ive got a stock stiffening project on the list in my older Savage.

Ill be interested to hear how that goes!

One reason I like the hog hunter over other models is factory irons. I detest relying solely on a scope, though its far from uncommon.

The factory irons aren't pretty, but I've seen some ways to upgrade them to fiber optics at least.

Savage makes good stuff. Don't think it matters what model ya go with. You do your part it will put em where ya want em.

I agree with you on iron sights. For hunting rifles I do not use a scope. There are many places here in Az. to take a shot farther than 300 yards but the normal distance of my shots are 200 or less. Of course I am talking about accuracy not precision. If Savages are nothing else right out of the box, they are accurate.

I can't speak of the Hog Hunter. I did get my boy a Savage Axis II for Christmas. It came with the Accu trigger. All around it seems like a very good rifle for the money. The action is nice and smooth. The trigger is clean and crisp. It has proven to be very accurate and fun to shoot. It has no iron sights and came with a 3x9 scope that has so far held zero and had no issues. I have been debating getting a Savage for myself.

I like shooting with irons, though I have a hard time seeing 100 yards out anymore, within 50 yards I'm good. I've also always taught my kids to learn the irons first, then a scope.

RipJack, I'm not sure really. With the coyote issues recently getting worse and after loosing our best breeding rooster, I'm hoping soon. If it comes to fruition, maybe a couple weeks. I think Dicks can order it, if not, Buds has it. I've never purchased a firearm online so I don't know how that process works.

I honestly really considered the scoped package, Savage bore sights everything before it ships and reviews are great. Few rifles have irons anymore but Savage has two that I know of for sure, as do a couple other manufacturers. To me that's a big plus even at the expense of having to add a scope later.

I like shooting with irons, though I have a hard time seeing 100 yards out anymore, within 50 yards I'm good. I've also always taught my kids to learn the irons first, then a scope.

RipJack, I'm not sure really. With the coyote issues recently getting worse and after loosing our best breeding rooster, I'm hoping soon. If it comes to fruition, maybe a couple weeks. I think Dicks can order it, if not, Buds has it. I've never purchased a firearm online so I don't know how that process works.

Buds is great if you have to go that route.

They also have on-line layaway, 20% down and 90 days to pay. It secures your item so they don't sell out. I've bought outright from them and used the layaway in the past. All you need is a local FFL dealer that'll accept the transfer and you're good to go. Buds has an FFL lookup on their site and most of the ones in my area are already on there...

Ive also bought from Bud's. It was painless. Although the FFL I chose was listed as bud's preferred I still had to call the gun shop and have them email a copy of the info to buds. But not difficult whatsoever.

Back