• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Savage Scout vs. Hog

Oh! I remember what I was thinking when I began looking at rifles.

I had figured my primary use would be around here on coyotes and .308 or 7.62 seemed like a large round but I wanted the heavier bullet in the event I could make the hog hunting trip. Then I found that article and it got me looking at savage rifles and I found the no longer available precision carbine. I was going to go with the hog hunter primarily for the price and figured it would meet my needs but it doesn't offer the best options for sights or scopes as its a blind magazine.

I know I'm getting off track a little on the subject of shotguns and I don't want to take anything away from this post but I'll mention this and post more in another thread if needed.

There is a video of a guy who had been hired I guess to kill hogs on a very large farm property. They were flying over in a helicopter and was using a shotgun. A number of the kills took more than one shot but I can't tell what load he was using. A couple times it almost looks like buck.

I'll scan another post and see if the video is in there.

HeliHunter had a series on one of the outdoors/sportsman channels. This video picks up where they are using AR type shotguns, not sure the exact firearm they are using. Yes, buckshot loads are used.

I believe that HeliHunter works the Brazos River country of Central Texas and the farm/crop damage there is horrendous. There are quite a number of helicopter services throughout Texas doing this work. I knew a fellow on the flying end of the business; working both feral hogs and nilgai on the large South Texas ranches. It has been a decade since I talked with this guy but at that point he had shot 1,800 nilgai and could not count the hogs. He flies and shoots at the same time as he has had too many problems with others shooting. This guy preferred the 7.62x39 in the AK platform to any other firearm.

Last edited:
NICE HOG!
Living in Connecticut we dont have wild hogs YET.
Just wondering about the effectiveness of the 7.62x.39 killing them.
I would love to hunt them someday and would also like to use my "AK 47 Hunter"chambered in 7.62x.39.

I had read about rounds effective for hogs and the smallish .223 is considered to be very effective. I have no personal experience so take my comments for what they're worth.
I live on a ranch and I'm surrounded by hogs. I know I have killed over a thousand in the last 15 years. I would take the 7.62X39 over the 223 Rem every time. The thing about hogs is that they are always in motion, even over feed so shot placement is what it is. The 223 Rem needs perfect placement.

Over the years I pulled more than my share of previous spent bullets from hogs I've killed. These have always been healed over and they have always been 22 caliber bullets. Never seen anything larger.

I do prefer the 150-grain + offerings with the 7.62X39. The Tula 154-grain PSP is a heck of a hog killer, I've killed a bunch with that ammo but prefer my 150-grain or 165-grain home cast bullet.

NICE HOG!
Living in Connecticut we dont have wild hogs YET.
Just wondering about the effectiveness of the 7.62x.39 killing them.
I would love to hunt them someday and would also like to use my "AK 47 Hunter"chambered in 7.62x.39.
My replies above where during my lunch break and I wanted to add a bit of info but needed to get back to my road and gravel work before any rain.

Ten years ago, I started to hold youth hunts on my ranch to help consume the antlerless permits, plus remove select spike bucks, and the same with the feral hogs. As I got into this, the two most common rifles that arrived with the young hunters was the 223 Rem and 7.62x39. The first was always an AR, the young people really like them, and the latter was typically a sporterized SKS. I only had one caveat, the ammo had to identified by the manufacturer as for use on big game (deer). These two cartridges represented about 95% of the rifles that showed up for the hunt. The remaining 5% was the 243 Win.

After a couple of years, I stopped allowing youth hunting with the 223 Rem as the loss was two high. My records indicated that one out of four deer shot with it were lost. The hog loss was two to three out of five! I personally have killed a number of deer with the 223 and a bunch of hogs with it. I even have taken a few deer with the 222 Rem. I think in the hands of a new, inexperienced hunter, it simply doesn't have enough killing authority. The cartridge does not deliver the kill if it is slightly off the mark. On the other hand, the 7.62x39 has proven 100% effective. Every deer shot with that that has been shot with that cartridge in the last decade has been recovered. I bent the rule this past season as I had a young hunter that was very small in frame and had been trying to shoot a 243 Win but it was creating a flinch issue. I should have let the kid shoot my Marlin 1894CL 32-20 Win or my Rossi 92 chambered in 357 Mag but went with the dad's suggestion that the youngster's 223 Rem be used. Low and behold the hunter shot a doe and it got away into the brush. I put my best friend, Joe, on the trial and he was able to find the deer. The deer was hit well but the small bullet just does not generate a suitable blood trail to follow through the South Texas brush. Joe simply went in the direction that he thought the deer would go and found it. There was no blood to follow.

The hard success rate of the 7.62x39 of my youth hunters is what caused me to gain an interest in the cartridge. My initial interest was as an lightweight whitetail rifle such as the Zastava Mini Mauser but it has expanded to the Mini-30 and the Savage Scout.

And thank you for the helihunter post as well, I had missed that somehow.

Thank you Ranch Dog for the info!
Makes me appreciate my 7.62 shooter even more.

Back