• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scabbard use for 590A1 20"

Anyone tried a scabbard for this barrel length?
I have seen them from Voodoo Tactical, Condor and NC Star.
NC Star seems to be large enough.
Voodoo advertises theirs for an 18" barrel.
Don't see how 2" could make that much difference.
Any experiences would be appreciated.
Seems like a decent way to carry.
Will attach to vest or pack.
Or slung across back.

I have not used a scabbard for a 20" barrel shotgun yet but others state that the NC Star scabbard will fit shotguns up to with nearly 24" barrels.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7ry-o1DBA[/youtube]

I have the VooDoo tactical scabbard for my 20", the fit is great! I dont care for the strap however and I'm going to be making more of a back pack set up for mine with 2 straps.

I dont have any pics with the gun in the scabbard though. It does fit just the way you would want it too, with the trigger gaurd right in the little cut out area of the scabbard, and the trigger is not exposed.

After watching the video CC posted, the NC scabard looks like the nicer of the 2 you mentioned.

Any idea if there's enough clearance for a short vertical foregrip?

I use a Tapco Intrafuse "Stubby" that's 3.125 inches. I'm looking at picking up a scabbard, but figure I'll probably have to remove the foregrip for transport. It easily attaches/detaches with a single screw but it'd be nice to be able to leave it on.

Last week I just got the NcStar and it fits snug but good. I have a tac streamlight mounted on the front and a tacstar shell holder on the back. Like I said if fits sug, but I am happy with it.

I ended up mounting mine to my pack. Did away with the sling altogether. I have a Swiss mountian ruck, its not as fancy as an Eberlestock, but it does have a couple of strap points on each side, so I made leather straps and ran those through the MOLLE web on the scabbard. Works fine!

Rossignol said:
I ended up mounting mine to my pack. Did away with the sling altogether. I have a Swiss mountian ruck, its not as fancy as an Eberlestock, but it does have a couple of strap points on each side, so I made leather straps and ran those through the MOLLE web on the scabbard. Works fine!
I can picture that 590 stock sticking outta the top of the scabbard and mounted to the side of an O.G. style mountain pack, I ALWAYS loved the idea of the 'back mounted shotgun', whether e/the crappy strap, strapped on LBE, or an a big backpack/something with some rigidity would be the best(on a vest with a ceramic plate in it for example)... Might pick one up :D ?
Stephen

I like the shotty on a pack too, and with my tent on there its pretty well balanced! The Swiss mil-surp ruck has an internal frame, its rubberized, and best of all was only $12!!! I have pics of it in the bags and packs section!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Any idea if there's enough clearance for a short vertical foregrip?

I use a Tapco Intrafuse "Stubby" that's 3.125 inches. I'm looking at picking up a scabbard, but figure I'll probably have to remove the foregrip for transport. It easily attaches/detaches with a single screw but it'd be nice to be able to leave it on.

I Have a condor scabbard and my 590 w/ caa forend and magpull AG1 grip is just a bit to tall to fit with the grip mounted. Thankfully it too is only a single screw design and is quick to re attach.

I ended up goin with the Condor as well. I replaced the carry strap with a Blackhawk 15rd sling/shell holder. With 15rds loaded up the sling was way too heavy on the gun, but it makes a great carry strap for the scabbard.

good call on the sling/shell holder, adds a nice and functional touch to it. Are you still able to sheath the weapon with the forward AG2 mounted though?

I was still able with the AFG2, but just barely. I have switched up to the original AFG since the photo and it won't fit with the new one. The AFG2 was simply too short and the forward hand stop banged the crap outta my index finger with every shot. The longer standard AFG is much more comfortable and saves me a few bruises.

I am looking for a scabbard on my new 590a1 18.5, my only hesitance is that I have seen reviews where the Ghost rings catch or they are too tight for your tri rail on the newer 7 shot.
I like the look of the Voodoo Tactical scabbard.

I haven't had issues with my ghost rings on my 590 in the scabbard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wanting a 22" scabbard for my Shockwave. The receiver and trigger assy. would be inside the scabbard, with only the grip exposed.
I'm hoping the manufactures will pick up on this when they see the popularity of the Shockwave.

I'm wanting a 22" scabbard for my Shockwave. The receiver and trigger assy. would be inside the scabbard, with only the grip exposed.
I'm hoping the manufactures will pick up on this when they see the popularity of the Shockwave.

You won't like the Voodoo Tactical scabbard. It's soooo close to perfect, but wasn't acceptable to me because the trigger guard is completely exposed.

I opened up the stitching and re-sewed it by hand to make it fit correctly. I'm going to have it professionally altered and have a bit of length added to it, now that I know exactly how it needs to fit in the Voodo brand. I don't want the muzzle exposed, nor do I want any slop. It has to stay secure as I hike/ATV around in Alaska bear country.

f8b8b8e94a8a2a33df2ebcb53746082a.jpg

You won't like the Voodoo Tactical scabbard. It's soooo close to perfect, but wasn't acceptable to me because the trigger guard is completely exposed.

I opened up the stitching and re-sewed it by hand to make it fit correctly. I'm going to have it professionally altered and have a bit of length added to it, now that I know exactly how it needs to fit in the Voodo brand. I don't want the muzzle exposed, nor do I want any slop. It has to stay secure as I hike/ATV around in Alaska bear country.

f8b8b8e94a8a2a33df2ebcb53746082a.jpg

Were at in Ak dark ?

Were at in Ak dark ?

Middle of nowhere. I have a little cabin on a lake just outside the northwest boundary of Denali nat'l park.

Cabin doesn't have water, electricity or much in the way of modern comforts. Only way in is via chartered bush plane, or traveling up a few hundred miles of seasonally-navigable rivers from Fairbanks.

Thus my fondness for the lightweight, back-packable 14" Shockwave in a proper fitting scabbard. I have a second Shockwave on order that I'm going to get cerakoted in hunter orange to keep at the cabin. That way I won't have to travel thru airports with one every time I go up there. I don't trust the TSA blueberries to understand that it ain't legally considered a shotgun, so it ain't a "sawed-off" shotgun that they get to confiscate.

Besides, being hunter orange will make it easier for my family to find it in the brush, and thus, identify which pile of nearby bear shit has my remains it it. Haha.

Middle of nowhere. I have a little cabin on a lake just outside the northwest boundary of Denali nat'l park.

Cabin doesn't have water, electricity or much in the way of modern comforts. Only way in is via chartered bush plane, or traveling up a few hundred miles of seasonally-navigable rivers from Fairbanks.

Thus my fondness for the lightweight, back-packable 14" Shockwave in a proper fitting scabbard. I have a second Shockwave on order that I'm going to get cerakoted in hunter orange to keep at the cabin. That way I won't have to travel thru airports with one every time I go up there. I don't trust the TSA blueberries to understand that it ain't legally considered a shotgun, so it ain't a "sawed-off" shotgun that they get to confiscate.

Besides, being hunter orange will make it easier for my family to find it in the brush, and thus, identify which pile of nearby bear shit has my remains it it. Haha.

I was curious. My sister move to Kotzebue last year. She spends off time in tundra hunting fiahing exploring etc... She is a nurse practitioner and does alot of traveling to various remote villages. She hounding me to come visit.

That's funny stuff DP. Sounds like paradise, but too cold for this thin blooded, skinny assed old man. I made one trip to Alaska...absolutely beautiful. We landed in Anchorage and drove to Sitka for halibut fishing and drove back to Anchorage. Reckon we stayed in AK for 10 days. I shipped home 350 pounds of halibut and some salmon.

You and I are thinking alike on the scabbard. I would like to see a pic when you finish. Maybe Voodoo will make you production manager.
I ordered my BigDot, Brownell metal safety, and a GGG Stainless follower.

Back