• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scope Advice for the .308 Ruger Precision Rifle?

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
First off, I bought this rifle for $1000 on sale, on a whim, and did zero research. I've since put my first 100+ rounds thru the new RPR, with little accuracy but much joy. This is both my first long range rifle and my first .308 rifle.

Temporarily, I used my Leupold 3-9x40 scope, on a tall QR 1" scope mount borrowed from a friend's AR. It doesn't have nearly the elevation adjustment range desired.
You can see in the photo how I leveled it, ;)
20190113_182403.jpg

I like the rifle more and more & just loaded my first precision .308 reloads for it.

BUT I desperately need to put a high power scope on it.

I am strictly a benchrest shooter. I don't hunt & I won't be banging it up. I am aiming to shoot paper at maybe 200 to 800 yards. I prefer to spend about $1500.

I don't think I'll ever shoot well enough to justify a really pro quality $$$ scope, even if the rifle itself might justify it.

Maybe it does. Maybe not. I just now figured out that this rifle has a 20moa depressed top rail from the factory (No markings I could see though . . . I read the specs online.)

It's my first .308 & I don't have a handle on this yet, so
I'm looking for pro advice on a suitable scope. I'm buying a new single-piece mount too & I don't really need a QR nor cantilevers, but it must be tall.​

Guys, this is what I eventually bought. This is the Low end Carl Zeiss Conquest V4, but it is the high end of the V4 line at 6-24×50mm.
20191205_202648.jpg
The mount is a Leupold, and rock solid with 5 screws to the rail clamp and 4 per clamp. I got this at Turners in Fresno.
20191205_203758.jpg
This has an illuminated reticle with 10 different brightness levels from totally invisible to insanely bright. It's a very basic type of reticle with hash marks every 2 MOA in each Direction. The paperwork says 40 MOA, but it appears that you can get 60 plus MOA adjustment vertically.
20191205_203847.jpg

BTW the Ruger precision rifle did come with a 20 MOA depressed top rail, and it is marked on the end of the rail facing the operator. The rail is so long on this rifle that depression is actually quite obvious if you just look at it closely.

I'd be testing it today, but the 200 yard targets will be difficult to reach until the ground dries a couple days. . .

Maybe Sunday.

edit.....
I paid $1,200 for this scope, but I only managed to see it on Amazon for $100 less. Certainly not a big deal to me as I like to see things and have them in my hand today.

Last edited:
CaddmannQ
You made a good choice. It’s ironic that the optic is more than the rifle, but for max accuracy it’s money well spent.
I’m a 308 shooter and hence a reloader as well. It’s a challenging but a fun and rewarding hobby.
My goal is a milk jug at 700 yards from my (highly modified) R700. My only problem so far is finding a range close to home that goes out that far
Good luck!

Yes there's no restriction because it's just a bolt gun.

If you had a 30 round mag for if you could use that too. But you couldn't buy or sell a new one as far as I know.

Its the same here in Sweden. You pay a lot more for the optics. I think the Zeiss Conquest V4 goes for aprox $940 - $1200 depending on the magnification here. Zeiss do very high quality binos which im familiar with and guess its the same with the scopes.

I passed up nice Leupolds and Vortex scopes on sale, at $800-$1000, for this Zeiss which was not.
It was the name that got me.
I already own 3 or 4 Leupolds.
This is my first Zeiss.
They are well known here for high quality lenses of every type.
Surveying and aeronautics, microscopes and loupes, plus other types of engineering and drafting instruments.

Back