• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scope mounting/sight in trouble shooting

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Do we have this thread somewhere already? I didn't see anything and I'm really having some trouble.

Savage model 11, .223 with irons.
TruGlo tbx 4-16x50
Burris picatinny styled two piece bases
Unknown rings, vertical two piece cross slot, estimated to be 25mm to center

Tightening the rings to the bases also tightens the rings to the scope. The scope is a bit too big for the height of the rings and due to the irons, I have to hold the scope back as far as possible in the rings. I don't have a torque wrench of any kind to speak of so I'm hand tightening. The scope has shifted in the rings so I move it back and tighten more. Again, because of the design, I'm having to do the screws at the base and at the top each time.

Here's a pic of the clearance;

image.jpg

I'm not sure what's happening, but it seems the front ring needs to be higher. I maxed the adjustment down and I'm still shooting high and not even on paper. I began with the elevation right in the middle of its adjustment and started working it down. I maxed the adjustment down and it closed the gap but its still not enough.

I'm unsure of the route forward. Taller rings, one piece scope base with integral rings like the Zeiss, one piece EGW and better-taller rings, or my original idea of Leupold dual dove tail base and rings? Shim the front? And is there a process to follow in the absence of a torque wrench?

LES is on this too but I felt like we need a dedicated public thread. I can't be the only one.

Try swapping rings front to back. I've not done it personally, but an Uncle claimed he had to do that once. When you have them off, set them on a flat surface, and see if they align. One may be taller than the other. Same with the bases, verify that they are the same height.

New rings and base are not out of the question and will definitely get better pics this evening!

I'm inclined to go with something like a one piece base like an EGW rail and then rings which tighten to the base and scope separately.

Which ever way I go its about $50 but I think that's the best route moving forward before replacing the scope. I need to do some calling/emailing to get dimensions on rings as most are listed as low medium or high without measurements given. I know the objective bell is 50mm/+ maybe another 4mm. So I need a minimal height of say 27mm but I've got the rear sight ramp as well and have to stay behind that.

Pics later, thanks fellas!

I'll be getting pics here in a bit but a question to those of you who know better than I do;

Would you put a one piece base on a top load only/blind magazine receiver?

No.

A 1 piece would likely block a large portion of the ejection/loading port.

Pics of what I'm working with.

image.jpg image.jpg

Among my issues, you can see the objective bell and the front ring are both as far back as I can go, which is why I asked about a one piece rail to give me more room to work with. It's possible just using taller rings will help.

I'll try some lesser expensive rings first to see if that helps the issue. If I still can't get clearance on that rear iron sight ramp, the only other options I see are a one piece rail or a smaller scope.

Can you borrow a bore sight laser? It would be helpful to see how far off from parallel your setup is.

Found one on amazon for $16. It's the kind that chambers in the magazine. Also ordered the Leupold STD two piece high rings and bases.

When I expand the top pic in reply in reply #12 it looks like the scope is aimed nose down. Maybe just an optical illusion.

When I expand the top pic in reply in reply #12 it looks like the scope is aimed nose down. Maybe just an optical illusion.

I thought so too. But I moved the pieces around to try and eliminate that being a possibility. I don't mind trying again though.

I believe I would use some temporary shims to determine how far the scope is really off, before I try to take any corrective action.

You could shave a scope base to make it lower it if needed, but shim one up first as a diagnostic tool.

Make sure you align a setup like that with a dowel and not with your scope.
Don't over tighten the rings to the scope, but tighten well to the rail.

If you figure out how much shim it takes to make alignment you'll know better what to do next.

...and then when the temp shims don't work
images

Back